Changing Checkbox Size

is there some way to change the size of the checkboxes in notes that I create?  It irritates me that I can prepare a list in 10-point font, or 8-point font, but I always seem to get 12-point checkboxes in my lists. 

If there's no way to do this on a note-by-note basis, is there a way to change the standard size of the checkboxes?

Thanks!

Steve

• Level 5*
59 minutes ago, Steve Thiel said:

is there some way to change the size of the checkboxes in notes that I create?  It irritates me that I can prepare a list in 10-point font, or 8-point font, but I always seem to get 12-point checkboxes in my lists. 

If there's no way to do this on a note-by-note basis, is there a way to change the standard size of the checkboxes?

Thanks!

Steve

Nope,  sorry.  A checkbox is (AFAIK) a checkbox.  What you see is all you got.  :mellow:

14 hours ago, gazumped said:

Nope,  sorry.  A checkbox is (AFAIK) a checkbox.  What you see is all you got.  :mellow:

Thanks!  I'm holding out hope that somewhere someone knows of a configuration file or something where the checkbox properties are specified. 

• Level 5*

A tough one, I think. I took a note and exported to HTML, and then to .ENEX (the Evernote ENML format file).

In the HTML, the checkbox is implemented as a .PNG bitmap file, one for each checkbox instance in the note (and those can be either a checked bitmap or an unchecked bitmap). So 10 checkboxes in my note, variously checked or unchecked resulted in 10 bitmaps in the generated HTML.

In the ENEX file, a checkbox is represented by an <en-todo> element with a "checked" attribute, which is either "true" or "false" (dunno whether they support a third state). so <en-todo checked="false"/> or <en-todo checked="true"/>, but no notion of size. Now how they handle such things in the note display is another thing: they could represent the todo as a character (e.g. the Unicode BALLOT BOX characters: see http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/2610/index.htm) that could use size information present; I think that they did something similar awhile ago, and you could actually cut/paste those characters around. Not sure why this changed.

You could also implement something like that yourself; just copy and paste from this:  ☐☑ , and you're on your way, though you would then lose any of the Evernote special todo handling: search, Todo Check all/Uncheck all, etc.

All of which is to say that I don't know of any secret configuration for this (it would probably be a registry setting). You might want to add a request in the Product Feedback section of your favorite Evernote client, where users can vote it up to show interest.

Thanks, Jeff, for looking in to this, and for such a clear explanation for what's going on.  I think I understand why Evernote went this way -- a couple of years ago, people were pleading for larger check boxes because the small ones were too error-prone on some devices.  (I might be the only person in the world who wants smaller checkboxes!)

I am guessing Evernote chose to make the checkboxes graphics rather than characters so that the boxes would be larger even when the text in smartphone environments was small, and I certainly can't fault them for responding to user requests.

Archived