New Sub-Folder Notebooks

I have a request for information.  I have a notebook folder titled "2016".  I would like to put sub-folders with "January 2016" and so forth.  As I have a boat-load of notes to put in each monthly folder, I am looking for a shortcut to putting large numbers of notes into the sub-folders without having to change each note to the desired notebook folder..  Does anyone have a suggestion?

'

'

• Level 5
2 hours ago, Cyrano1441 said:

I have a request for information.  I have a notebook folder titled "2016".  I would like to put sub-folders with "January 2016" and so forth.  As I have a boat-load of notes to put in each monthly folder, I am looking for a shortcut to putting large numbers of notes into the sub-folders without having to change each note to the desired notebook folder..  Does anyone have a suggestion?

Evernote does not have folders or sub-folders.

Create a Stack named 2016 (rename the 2016 notebook to avoid confusion)

Add the monthly notebooks to the stack.

Then select (Ctrl Click) the notes for a specific month and drag them to the appropriate notebook.

Do not move too many at a time. I'd try to stay under 100 notes per move.

Always manually synch (F9) after each move.

Go slow, be sure and double check the notes to be sure they are moving correctly.

Personally, I would not go down this route because you can only create 250 notebooks and stacks. Instead, I would assign a monthly tag to the appropriate notes and put the entire batch of notes under one single notebook.

The system I actually use is to prefix the title in each and every note with a date code YYMMDD. Evernote's intitle: search makes it easy to find the notes you want for a specific year, or month, or day.  This final suggestion would require a lot of work if you have a massive amount of notes.

• Level 5*
On 7/22/2016 at 7:05 PM, Cyrano1441 said:

I have a notebook folder titled "2016".  I would like to put sub-folders with "January 2016" and so forth.

Providing a hierarchical notebook structure (like folders on Mac/PC) has been requested for many years now.  It is valid request, and would be most helpful in organizing data that is hierarchical in its nature, like projects/sub-projects/tasks/sub-tasks etc.

But, for reasons not really known outside of Evernote management, Evernote has declined to provide hierarchical notebooks, and continues to limit us to a paltry 250 notebooks.  Unfortunately, I have not seen any signs of Evernote changing their position on this.  But who knows?  Lots of changes are happening within Evernote Corp.

So, for now, if you want a hierarchical structure that goes deeper than Stack > Notebooks > Notes, then you will need to use Tags.
I have designed an organization I call pseudo Notebooks, which is working very well.  See Using Tags as Pseudo Notebooks 

@Cyrano1441As mentioned above, using a tagging system will help you organize your notes without having to move them into different notebooks. If stacks and tagging isn't enough and you'd still like to see sub-notebooks added in future versions of Evernote for Windows, I recommend posting in the Product Feedback forum or 'vote up' this existing thread by using the vote buttons in the top left corner.

Archived