"Upgrade" to scan a document

kcsc

Idea

Hi

The recent "upgrade" to scanning documents is rubbish. Before, I could control the focus myself by tapping, and could control the point at which the image was captured. Then the app would do its magic and trim and straighten the document

Now the app wants to be clever and do everything all by itself. By the time it decides to take the image my hand has just about fallen off from having to hold the phone still for so long. Then try doing this for twenty documents in a row!

If I get frustrated and tap the screen to make the app capture the image immediately... no more trimming the edges or shaping the document... just an ugly document with a border of whatever surface the document is on.

Maybe these changes work for some, so what is needed is the ability to ROLL BACK to the old way, at least until this new way actually works for all.

If not I want my money back. I purchased a working product I could use on dozens of documents, quickly and efficiently. Now I no longer have this. Someone from Evernote please contact me to facilitate this.

And that brings me to problem two... it's far too hard to send a message to Evernote. I should not have to resort to a message in the forums. It's funny how the progression through the support pages is Feedback and Communication > General Feedback > go to forums > Post an idea. An idea!? It's almost like Evernote can't countenance the idea of an actual complaint!

Thanks

7 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi.  If you're an Evernote subscriber,  you have access to email support.  If you're premium or business you have a Chat option too.  Sorry but Evernote isn't going to respond to you about refunds in a public forum - I suggest you go through the Support link below and choose 'Payment Issue' if you want to go that route.  There's a link in my signature. You can post this forum URL in your request for background,  and I'd suggest posting your ticket number here when you get an acknowledgement.  Then a passing Evernote employee will be able to connect the dots.

You'll be able to downgrade your subscription (wait until after you get your support request in though...) so you don't pay for a service you aren't using.

Android users have a gazillion free scanning apps that clip document pages and produce PDF files,  so short term if you're finding Evernote's 'improvements' counter-productive I'd suggest trying out a few of those.  I used to find CamScanner the best until Evernote included a reasonable scanning process in the app.

The scanning option is supposed to work pretty well - you may be able to see some improvement if you raise a tech support request instead of a refund.  I get most of my scanning done on a desktop,  and use the 'phone for anything that's too big or too lumpy to scan.  Haven't noticed any major issues,  but your mileage clearly varies.  First step when teching a mobile is to uninstall / restart / reinstall the app.

• Level 5
9 hours ago, kcsc said:

Now the app wants to be clever and do everything all by itself. By the time it decides to take the image my hand has just about fallen off from having to hold the phone still for so long. Then try doing this for twenty documents in a row! ...

Maybe these changes work for some, so what is needed is the ability to ROLL BACK to the old way, at least until this new way actually works for all.

I've found this problematic too, but I discovered by accident that the option to use the old way is available. In the camera screen, as the app is wiggling and shaking and drawing borders, note an obscure icon in the top right, like a sheet of paper with the top left and bottom right corners outlined. Tap that, and you'll be returned to "Manual mode," which I think will remain the default thereafter.

Hi Dave

No unfortunately the "Manual Mode" is not the same as the old way. It does not trim the edges of documents or remove the borders/background that the document is placed on.

Thanks

• Level 5*

Hi again - there's a link to Support in the bottom para of my posts.  Follow this through the various dropdown boxes and you should get to a dialogue page that will allow you to request assistance.

Archived