Sticky Notes in Notebooks

Hi,

I will describe my scenario of how I use my Evernote in some cases:

I am watching a course, and I am creating a notebook for that course that will include notes per chapter and sub-section of chapter etc. I also have a "Course Index" note that includes links to the other notes of the course but in a specific order (the one the course was delivered by the instructor) some information about the course etc.

Wouldn't be great idea if we were able to make the "Course Index" sticky note so even If I update the other notes, the index note will always be on the top?

Kind Regards,

Rafael

• Level 5

I think the workaround for this is to sort the notes by title, and start the title of the Course Index note with a punctuation mark, such as ! or #, thus: "!Course Index". With title sorting, the punctuation mark at the start will force this note to be placed at the top.

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, _Rafael said:

I am watching a course, and I am creating a notebook for that course that will include notes per chapter and sub-section of chapter etc. I also have a "Course Index" note that includes links to the other notes of the course but in a specific order (the one the course was delivered by the instructor) some information about the course etc.

Wouldn't be great idea if we were able to make the "Course Index" sticky note so even If I update the other notes, the index note will always be on the top?

Sticky notes are not currently a feature. You can only manually order notes in the Reminders section. 
Its been discussed in the forums frequently, and various work arounds have been discussed.

If your sequence is "creation date" you can adjust a note's creation date so it's always sorted at the top of the list.

Another option for those using "title sequence",  You can prefix the title with a special character.  For example "!Important Note" will sort to the top. And using a selection of prefixes (!*...) you can organize notes into different sections.

In the windows client the list of things you can sort by is huge. I'm not even sure how you change things like subject as it's not even in the info box. I use tags to provide a custom sort order. If there is more than one tag Evernote uses the first in the list of tags (which is alphabetical). So a tag of !a will appear first in the list, !b second and so on. It's a work around and I can see lots of reasons why you would not want to routinely order your notes by tag.

Another approach would be to give all your course index notes the same tag (say index). Then set up a saved search for tag:index and stick it in your shortcuts. Clicking the search shortcut would give you all your index notes which you could then use to navigate the courses. I'm guessing the course you are currently studying would be the most recent index note so would appear at the top if you use a more conventional sort order like by created (in reverse order).

ScreenShot322.jpg

Thank you guys, as @JMichaelTX said, my post is rather for a feature request. Of course, I will use your suggestions, but I think will be better to have such option, instead of depending on specific sorting (and hence limited the sorting options in the notebook) or by adding some characters to the title (i.e !) to indicate importance.

Both ways will work, but the one with sorting will limit me to sort as I want in some cases and the second one, will make note titles looks a bit strange.

I wanted to submit my idea, just in case where Evernote Team thinks is a good feature for their backlog

The more I think about it the more I think that my tags suggestion would work for you. I have 6 important notes which I'm constantly needing to refer to or update. They are tagged critical and a shortcut search on that tag brings them up immediately with one click.

• Level 5*
21 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

Yep.  That's the point the OP, @_Rafael, made in his/her post.  I'm pretty sure it's a feature request.

Then maybe this would be better posted in a Feedback forum to be addressed as a feature request.
The Discussions forum tends to lead to .......discussion

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, DTLow said:

Then this would be better posted in a Feedback forum to be addressed as a feature request.

Perhaps, but the only benefit of doing so is to provide user voting.
Since "Sticky Notes" is a feature we'd like to see in ALL EN apps, posting here is perfectly appropriate.

It has long been reported that someone from Evernote reads all posts.  I can't vouch for this, but Evernote participation in these forums does seem to have increased as of late.

IAC, "Sticky Notes" is a feature that has been requested for a very long time, so I'm pretty sure Evernote is aware of the request.

Archived