Incomplete update to 7.8.2?

• Level 5

I raised this as a tangent in another thread, and I want to post it now as a separate topic. I recently updated to the Android app v. 7.8.2, on a Samsung Note 4 Edge with Android 5.0.1. According to Google Play, this update should include "Many enhancements to the editing experience.... Support for strikethrough, subscript, and superscript text styles." Some of the other items mentioned on Play (Ability to mark up images and PDFs; Select multiple notes at once) are working. But I don't see any evidence of strikethrough, subscript, and superscript.

The first screenshot below confirms that I'm using 7.8.2. But, as the second screenshot shows, I don't have the strikethrough, subscript, or superscript text styles (icons for these should be to the left and right of the highlighting icon, I believe). Moreover, while other users of Samsung's S-pen report that this update removes the function of S-pen direct input in the note text editor area, I still have that function (the blue-circled T in the third screenshot), and it  works fine. It feels like I only got half an update or something.

I've tried closing EN and restarting it, and restarting the phone (multiple times), with no result. I originally installed EN when I installed all my apps when I got the phone last year.

I'm thinking about trying the following, but I want to make sure it won't mess things up: What about uninstalling Evernote from the phone, then reinstalling it from the Play Store? I think that should install the latest version clean. I presume the newly installed EN on the phone would then sync all my notes, and I'd be all set up without loss of data. I also presume that uninstalling it from the phone would not have any effect on notes--i.e., they wouldn't all seem to be deleted, and get synced to the EN servers as deleted. Can anyone confirm that that might be worth a try, and wouldn't destroy my notes?

Version.png

Text styles.png

S-pen input.png

I am facing the exact same issue. I am using Nexus 6 and have the latest EN version installed. I don't see the new formatting options nor do I see the Google Drive option. I just contacted EN. I hope they come back with a resolution.

6 minutes ago, tulpuleg said:

I am facing the exact same issue. I am using Nexus 6 and have the latest EN version installed. I don't see the new formatting options nor do I see the Google Drive option. I just contacted EN. I hope they come back with a resolution.

UPDATE: I just uninstalled and reinstalled my android app and lo and behold! It works! I can see the missing functionality.

• Level 5

Thanks for being the pioneer tulpuleg! I did the same, and now I have the strikethrough, superscript, and subscript. And I no longer have S-pen direct input in the note text editor area. And phone numbers are no longer highlighted as a link that can be tapped to put into the dialer. So it looks like I have the whole package now, both pluses and minuses.

But just to satisfy my curiosity--how on earth did this happen? Was there a moment when the installer in the Play Store was defective?

7 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

But just to satisfy my curiosity--how on earth did this happen? Was there a moment when the installer in the Play Store was defective?

I have no idea about the installer. I just left a suggestion in the Android Feedback forum for a support guy I was interacting with that EN should highlight "reinstallation" as a basic troubleshooting step for people like us puzzled by the missing functionality long after the update.

7 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Thanks for being the pioneer tulpuleg! I did the same, and now I have the strikethrough, superscript, and subscript. And I no longer have S-pen direct input in the note text editor area. And phone numbers are no longer highlighted as a link that can be tapped to put into the dialer. So it looks like I have the whole package now, both pluses and minuses.

The update is great! Apart from the advertised new features, I also see some improvement in the android clipper functionality, esp. with Twitter. Now my only wish is better (lot better) support for tables on android devices. At present we cannot create tables in android but the ones created elsewhere look totally messed up while viewing on them.

Happy Evernoting! :)

• Level 5

I also see some improvement in the android clipper functionality, esp. with Twitter.

By "Android clipper," do you mean creating an EN note through the Share function? I've seen other references to "Android clipper," and I'm not sure what's meant if it's not that.

4 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

By "Android clipper," do you mean creating an EN note through the Share function? I've seen other references to "Android clipper," and I'm not sure what's meant if it's not that.

Yes, that's what it is. The android app also installs a clipper for your browser. I am using Firefox. I haven't tried the browser addon in a while, so I don't if there are any improvements there, but creating notes by sharing with EN works great now.

Hello folks,

@tulpuleg, You are definitely right with the reinstall step on this, as it does seem to resolve the missing editor functions and I appreciate you going to the trouble of figuring that out. After further looking into it on my end I was able to duplicate it on a different device. Basically what happens is that some of the existing data from the Evernote application is kept from update to update when you go through the Google Play Store and update the application. This is how you stay logged in and your offline notebooks still in-tact. With the most recent update though, it changed a log of the note editor features found within Evernote for Android. So when you go from a version of Evernote that is even one behind and depending on the device, it can cause this, but it is remedied by logging out and then back in or by reinstalling.

@Dave-in-Decatur, When you are in Chrome or another browser on your Android device, tap on the three dots in the top right corner and select the share options and you will the the Add to Evernote option.

2016_05_26_14_33_23_14_34_38.gif

• Level 5

Thanks, Matt. It's good to know what went wrong with the update, and to know that a simple logout and login will fix it if it happens again, rather than a (gulp) uninstall and reinstall.

I know about the Share function on my phone, which works well. But tulpuleg also mentioned that "The android app also installs a clipper for your browser," and this makes me think there must be something else that I'm missing. Perhaps just confusion on my end.

• Level 5

Very interesting, tulpuleg. I wonder if it's just for Firefox, or maybe a Nexus thing. I checked Opera, Chrome, and CM Browser on my Samsung Note Edge, and none of them has it. Matt, any thoughts? Your animation also seemed to show a separate Evernote icon next to the Share... option.

Archived