Highlighting phone numbers

When I have a phone number 56246779 its not being highlighted. But if I have it with a prefix ie: 02056246779 it is being highlighted. I use Evernote android and the benefit of having highlighted numbers is that I can touch it to dial it.

I would like to have a setting that would highlight any 8 digit number, or any other solution.

• Level 5*

Hi.  There are protocols baked into your OS to handle phone calls,  so it should be possible to create a link which will dial,  but you'll (probably) need to format your numbers correctly in international dialing format if you want them to work.  The magic link in Android is:  tel:<phone number>.  Sadly you can't create a link in EN mobile,  so you'd have to set up your links on desktop first.  

Check out these links for some explanations - (or Goo search-engine-of-choice your own)

http://www.mobilexweb.com/blog/click-to-call-links-mobile-browsers

https://developers.google.com/web/fundamentals/device-access/click-to-call/click-to-call?hl=en

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1608548/how-to-trigger-a-phone-call-when-clicking-a-link-in-a-web-page-on-mobile-phone

The notes in this format 02056246779 are being highlighted automatically by Evernote on android. I assume Evernote does the highlighting and not the android. However, I would like it to handle 56246779 as well.

In Laos both of the numbers are the same and one can dial both with 020 prefix as well as without.

• Level 5*

Dialling a phone number requires a lot of input to the phone systems,  which are Android processes.  Evernote can use system 'keys' to link a number to those processes,  but one of the requirements in Android is that the number have an international dialling format.  If you type your number as +856 20 56246779 you may see it highlighted.  See the links I posted for more background.

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...

In the past I have always been able to click on a phone number on Android  and get the dialer to come up. Unwisely I have built a system around this and now with the last update it has stopped working Has anybody had the same expirance.

Looks like Gazumped had this back in 2013 , My life just got harder :(

https://app.box.com/s/vh5e0adr1el1selsbhpls8p3o1twbaz5

ScreenClip (1).png

• Level 5

Hmm, I just tested this on Android v. 7.8.2, and found that I could enter a U.S. 10-digit phone number (including area code, but without +1 at the start), and when I saved the note the number was highlighted as a link that could be tapped to put it into the dialer. What's your phone model and Android version? (However, there are some kinks in my 7.8.2. update, it seems, and it's possible that the fact that this still works is one of them!)

I got the following response form support. Looks like it is a "bug currently affecting the Android app"

Jillian G. (Evernote Help and Learning)

May 25, 10:56

Hello, thank you for contacting Evernote Support. My name is Jillian and I'll be happy to help you.

It sounds as though you have encountered a known bug currently affecting the Android app. We are working to quickly resolve this issue. I apologize for any inconvenience.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Best, Jillian G.

• Level 5
On 5/24/2016 at 9:01 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Hmm, I just tested this on Android v. 7.8.2, and found that I could enter a U.S. 10-digit phone number (including area code, but without +1 at the start), and when I saved the note the number was highlighted as a link that could be tapped to put it into the dialer. What's your phone model and Android version? (However, there are some kinks in my 7.8.2. update, it seems, and it's possible that the fact that this still works is one of them!)

UPDATE: I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Evernote app on my phone. It fixed the other issues I was having; but it did in fact take away the highlighting of phone numbers. So, as Jon learned, this is a real problem.

• 1 month later...
  • Level 5
On 5/31/2016 at 5:29 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

UPDATE: I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Evernote app on my phone. It fixed the other issues I was having; but it did in fact take away the highlighting of phone numbers. So, as Jon learned, this is a real problem.

Well, now I'm quoting myself. :P I upgraded to Android v. 7.9.2 yesterday. I find that phone and e-mail links now seem to work, putting phone numbers into the dialer and starting e-mails. So this got fixed.

21 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Well, now I'm quoting myself. :P I upgraded to Android v. 7.9.2 yesterday. I find that phone and e-mail links now seem to work, putting phone numbers into the dialer and starting e-mails. So this got fixed.

Yes working for me now on Android EN v. 7.9.2

• Level 5
53 minutes ago, Jon lowbank said:

Yes working for me now on Android EN v. 7.9.2

Good, glad it's fixed and that the system you built around this feature can work for you again. It's fascinating how people develop this great tool in unique ways.

• 3 weeks later...

I am having an issue where random numbers are being linkafied on evernote for android.

I have approx 600 memos saved, each with either phone numbers, serial numbers, server hostnames, anything really.

Evernote seems to be linkifying every series of numbers even if it is not a phone number.

Can you change it to please only linkafy a phone number if it is in this format 123-456-7890.

Or at least provide some sort of options in the app to disable this undesirable behavior.

Here in America, 10 digit dialing is standard, and so is writing a phone number in a format such as 123-456-7890 or (123)456-7890

Here are examples of number sequences in my notes that are getting linkafied but should not be:

1234-567-8901

123-4567

1234-567

Some-name-12-3456789

Please advise on the fix.

• Level 5*

Hi.  Speaking for the rest of the world,  we like our phone numbers in different formats so this feature would be good provided it's optional.  However I don't get those digits linkified when I set up a note on my Android.  Do you have any other phone/ calling apps running that might be affecting the display,  like Skype?

Archived