How about an Evernote File Manager?

I find Evernote to be a very useful tool. It's an excellent way to organize. Though, I have dozens of files and folders in my external hard drive, and that can be overwhelming to stay organized with those files and future projects. Windows File Explorer isn't very intuitive, and it lacks a lot of shortcuts. I wonder if Evernote could pull something off. I'm an artist, and I find that a file manager should be like a giant artsy portfolio. Images, videos, PDFs, etc, should all have a picture preview, and everything should be very easy to locate. The two biggest features I wish for is creating a custom thumbnail image to folders, and grouping files by the first letter of its name like the Windows 10 start menu.

I've been dying for a portfolio-oriented file manager for years, so I thought I'd make a request to see if Evernote could develope one. Let me know what everyone thinks about this idea.

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, Brian_LeDuc said:

Though, I have dozens of files and folders in my external hard drive, and that can be overwhelming to stay organized with those files and future projects. Windows File Explorer isn't very intuitive, and it lacks a lot of shortcuts. I wonder if Evernote could pull something off. I'm an artist, and I find that a file manager should be like a giant artsy portfolio. Images, videos, PDFs, etc, should all have a picture preview, and everything should be very easy to locate

Evernote is not a file manager, and IMO, it is highly unlikely that it will ever be one.  That just does not fit with anything I have ever seen published, discussed, or even thought about by Evernote personnel.  IAC, it is not likely to happen any time soon.

So, if you'd like to satisfy you needs soon, then I'd suggest that you look elsewhere.

I was going to suggest DropBox, but it basically work with your Windows file system -- which you said you don't like.

You could do an Internet search for Windows File Managers, and I'm sure you will find some.

But honestly, everything you asked for above is part and parcel of a Mac.  
Since you sound very unhappy with the Windows Explorer, I would, with your best interests in mind, like to suggest you consider switching to a Mac.

With a Mac, you can easily:

1. View files/folders in the Mac Finder (like Win Explorer, but much better) in a variety of ways, including thumbnails.
  2. Quickly find files of interest by searching on file name, contents, file type, tag, etc in either the current folder, or anywhere on your Mac.
  3. Click on any file and get an instant preview just by pressing the SPACE key
  4. Set the icon for any file/folder.
  5. Quickly and Accurately find any file, email, Evernote Note, etc using the Mac Supersearch tool called "Spotlight"
  6. Tag any file/folder
  7. Create SmartFolders with extensive, complex (or simple) filter criteria
  8. Use the Mac Preview app to easily open almost any file, and make changes to images, PDFs, and more.
  9. and the list goes on and on . . .

Two suggestions if you are at all interested in Macs:

1. Do a search on "why switch to mac from pc"
  2. Visit your local Apple store, and ask one of the Mac gurus there why you should switch?
    1. He/She will give you a demo that will blow your mind.

BTW, I have been both a Windows and a Mac user for decades.  I'm currently 100% using Macs, but I have one Mac than can, and does, run Windows 7 Pro x64 in a virtual machine, and does it very well.  So I have the best of both worlds.  This means that if you happen to have a critical Windows app that cannot be replaced by a Mac app, then, no problem.  It can run on a Mac.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

• Level 5*

Nothing stops you from dragging a few of your files into EN and see how it feels, may be a round peg in a square hole though. 

Something to try that that may or may not be worth the effort, take a screen shot of the file and add it to EN with a link to file on your hard drive.  Screen shot should become the thumbnail and you can title/tag the note however you like.

• Level 5*
22 hours ago, Brian_LeDuc said:

I have dozens of files and folders in my external hard drive, and that can be overwhelming to stay organized with those files and future projects. Windows File Explorer isn't very intuitive, and it lacks a lot of shortcuts.

`Two suggested alternatives
- store the files in Evernote as attachments to notes
- add a file link to notes 

This gives you the extensive organization features provided by Evernote.
Images have their on thumbnails, or you can create your own design in the note.

You could even do this in a Notebook called "File Manager" although I prefer Tags and shortcuts for organization.

This gives you a lot of scope in using Evernote as a file manager.

Thank you for everyone's feedback.

JMichaelTX, I've used a Mac quite a lot when I was in college, and I did go through a phase whereas I was thinking of getting one. However, when I was at the store, I realized that Macs have the same specs as Windows computers, but larger prices. So I'm just a bit curious as to what actually makes them better. However, I can see that they have a MUCH better app store, and their apps looks a lot more professional. Also, while we're talking about it, can Finder actually "group" files by putting them in separate stacks. Kind of like this?

idocument_hero_grouping.png

I haven't used iDocument before, so I'm unsure if these are custom groups or if they are made by default, but this is the feature I am really looking for in a file manager.

Csihilling and DTLow, wow guys, that's amazing. I've been using Evernote for a long time, and I never realized that it could attach files. I just attached an Illustrator file to a note. This feature can certainly come useful. I can create that grouping structure I like manually.

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, Brian_LeDuc said:

I realized that Macs have the same specs as Windows computers, but larger prices. So I'm just a bit curious as to what actually makes them better.

Be careful about judging a computer based solely on specs.  All Macs are very high quality hardware and software. Sorry to say this, but most low-end, consumer-grade PCs are junk.  I've bought lots of PCs, but never the low-end.  If you compare a Mac with the equivalent quality PC you will find their cost to be very close.

There are a few ways to get lower cost Macs, if your budget is really tight:

1. Apple refurbished Macs
  2. Last year's models from places like MacMall
  3. And there is always eBay, if you know what you are doing, and have the patience to wait for a good deal.

Almost every PC I've ever bought I've needed to upgrade to a new PC about every 3 years.

Not so with Macs.  My youngest Mac is a  2013 MacBook Pro 15-in Retina (Core i7 2.7GHz, 16GB, 512GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M), and it is a powerhouse even today.  It easily powers two high-res 27-in ASUS monitors, and makes quick work of my videos using FinalCutPro (industry standard).  I have no need or desire (OK, a little desire) to buy the latest Mac.  I have never had the slightest trouble with it, or really any of my Macs.  I just did a clean install of Mac OSX El Capitan on my 2011 MacBook Air 13-in, and it is running great!

Sorry if this is a bit, or maybe a lot, off-topic to your original question.  I thought I detected a displeasure with Windows.  If I got it wrong. just let me know, and I'll post no more here.  

I'll just close with this:  Yes, Evernote handles file attachments very well.  I have a lot of files in Evernote.  But don't let anyone kid you -- it is NOT a good file manager.  If file management is your focus, then tools like DropBox or Box, are far better.  I use both Evernote and Dropbox.  Here is one huge advantage DropBox has over Evernote:  Multiple file versions that you can easily restore any selected version.  If you have any needs to share files, Dropbox win hands-down.  Check it out before you commit.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

It's okay that the Mac subject is off topic. I'm interested in learning about it. I've been exploring El Capitan a while back, and I love the way it looks. In support of your side of the story, I've been having so many problems with Windows computers over the years; specifically driver problems. But then again, I'm always trying out new software, so that could be part of the problem.

I know we're really getting off topic, but I'm also looking into another operating system called Zorin. 

• 2 weeks later...

You can download Adobe Bridge for free. Kinda. If you have anyone of the Adobe monthly (as low as $9.99 subscriptions). For example - Photoshop elements.

http://www.adobe.com/products/bridge.html?promoid=8N4B5FRW&mv=other

Slick little program which allows you to tag and categorize in all kinds of different ways.

Or just do a google search for "alternative to Adobe Bridge". Plenty of actual free options out there. Hope this helps.

• Level 5*
On 4/19/2016 at 2:08 PM, Brian_LeDuc said:

I've been dying for a portfolio-oriented file manager for years, so I thought I'd make a request to see if Evernote could develope one.

As suggested by @kstagg above, Adobe Bridge looks very interesting.  Checkout a very short video at 

What is Adobe Bridge?

@Brian_LeDuc, if you do test/evaluate Adobe Bridge, I'd be very interested in your opinion of it.

Archived