Hotkey to capture a region?

• Level 5*

I must be missing something. I am trying to get a hotkey working in Windows 10 that will start the "Capture Region" tool. I cannot use the mouse to initiate it from the system tray utility, nor can I get the screen the way I want and then switch to EN and click the toolbar icon because ANY movement causes the menu I need to snapshot vanishes.

I can use PicPick to get it, which I am doing as a workaround, but that is a bit of a pain because then I need to transfer the image to EN to further process. I'd like to skip the middleman. 

Am I missing something?

• Level 5*

If you do a lot of screen captures and annotations, then you may want to consider a tool like SnagIT.

Yes, you have to pay for the app, but IMO it is well worth it.  

• One license allows your to install both Mac and Windows versions on all of your computers.
  •  It captures both static images and videos
  • can scroll to capture an entire web page (that's not visible).
  • Has lots of easy-to-use effects, like rotate, resize, borders, crop, shadow, edges, color filters, etc
  • And a ton of easy-to-use, first class, annotation tools, with the ability to make your own custom tool.

With SnagIT you can optionally choose to have the screen capture automatically put on the clipboard, ready to paste into Evernote.  If you want to create a new Note with the capture, just press the EN global hotkey for create a note from the clipboard.

10 minutes ago, JMichaelTX said:

With SnagIT you can optionally choose to have the screen capture automatically put on the clipboard, ready to paste into Evernote.  If you want to create a new Note with the capture, just press the EN global hotkey for create a note from the clipboard.

... or use the Snagit ->send to Evernote-Action-Button

snagit-evernote.jpg

• Level 5*

Ok, thanks. That confirms it isn't something I am missing. EN just doesn't support it.

I've seen/had/owned SnagIT in the past and for me, it is like using the Space Shuttle to go to the grocery store. I'll use PicPick for the times when I have to grab a menu that vanishes (not often) and use Evernote's region capture button for the rest.

• Ex Employees

Tools>Options>Hotkeys>Capture Screen is the assigned hotkey for seen capture (clip). This will allow you to select the region of the screen you want to capture, and will not capture the full screen. Does that meet your needs, or is the menu that you need to capture gone after you start to move the mouse to the desired region? 

Note: Currently the default Capture Screen hotkey is WIN+Prnt Scrn. With WIN 10, this combination is now used by the OS, and overrides Evernote. If you're on WIN 10, you will need to change the hotkey trigger to something that is not used by the WIN 10 OS. 

Archived