Suggestion: mini-map for a note

To navigate longer notes, it would be really useful to add a mini-map in the side bar on the right, similar to one available in Sublime editor or Notepad++.

Mini-map provides a different view of the note and makes it easier both to navigate it and recognize the structure of the note itself.

For an example, see this image: FNfcn.jpg

Hint: for me personally this could be a reason to consider the premium edition.

• Level 5*

Hi.  Sorry,  but I don't make long notes.  They're difficult to search,  a pain to edit and unhelpful to share.  Short notes are best,  and long notes can be avoided by breaking subjects down into paragraphs or headings or assignments and using a new note for each.  Having this feature would not be a plus feature for me.

• Level 5*
On February 13, 2016 at 11:50 PM, Maxim Golov said:

To navigate longer notes, it would be really useful to add a mini-map in the side bar on the right, similar to one available in Sublime editor or Notepad++.

I don't know those products.  Is the mini-map generated or just typed?

You might consider working in a two column table; it gives you the section for your mini-map

Also, as per @gazumped, Evernote is not the best tool for long notes.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, DTLow said:

Also, as per @gazumped, Evernote is not the best tool for long notes.

I agree long notes don't work well in Evernote.

However, lots of people seem to like long notes, and the Evernote System Limits allow for notes up to 200 MB (for Premium accounts).  That's quite large.
There is no exact conversion, but according to PC Help Center , If a page has 4,000 characters (single-spaced), then it will take about 250 pages of text to equal one megabyte.  So, 200MB ~= 50,000 pages.  I suspect most users with "long" notes are far, far below this limit.
But I've never seen a statement from Evernote that even suggested that we should not use long notes, within this limit.

So, IMO, if Evernote is going to advertize a limit, then the Evernote app should properly support it.  Now I can certainly understand that it is much more difficult thousands of pages of words than it is to support a few large, high-res images.  So if there is lower limit based on number of words, then Evernote should so state.

Thanks for sharing your views. Maybe I should qualify what "long" is, for me it is  anything of 3 screens or more - then having a mini map helps me to have a "helicopter view" of the note. In my experience with text editors mini-map becomes less useful when the file is 10 screens or more, and will fail for 50000 pages for sure :) 

@DTLow - mini-map is generated by the editor. As for tables, I am trying to avoid them, do not work that well for me.

Lots of smaller notes - then essentially each larger note becomes a notebook and the notebook tree is hard to navigate.

• Level 5*
51 minutes ago, Maxim Golov said:

mini-map is generated by the editor

Not a feature of the Evernote editor. 

Also, not a feature is internal note links. We can't jump around in a long note.  Never-say-never, but I don't think that's a direction Evernote is heading.

• Level 5*

It is theoretically possible to create a note up to the maximum size Evernote offers,  but like I've said about other things,  that's a limit not a target.  In practical terms large notes are just unwieldy.  They're hard to read through,  difficult to search,  impossible to edit because every last twitch loses the entry point,  and impractical to link to except in total - you can't jump to halfway down page 3 from anywhere.  And you can't lay them out precisely for printing or presentation.

Evernote's rumoured Editor improvements may help - better features may include pagination,  numbering,  bookmarking and more stable editing:  but meantime,  smaller notes are just easier to handle.  It's also possible to use a word-processor to create a long file and save that file in a note,  alongside a text version of the same content (or some relevant text extract) purely for search keywords.  All editing can be done in the WP software,  and the keyword content need not be changed with every edit as long as it remains reasonably complete.

Archived