Create to-do list from several notes

henja485

Hi!

This might be completely the wrong place to ask this question. But I've been googling now for too long so I need help. 

My problem:

1. Each month I create a new note with the months name

2. In that note I make all notes for the month :-)

3. I mark my to-dos by putting BP in front of them ex. BP: Make the report

Here comes the problem, my to-dos are mixed up with regular notes. I would like a way to extract these to-dos to a separate list (and ONLY the text after BP, not the rest of the note, ONLY that text). Reminders doesn't work, it just show a link to the whole note.

Any help! 

Sorry for my poor English writing skills, being Swedish can sometimes be hard!

Cheers!

/H

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, henja485 said:

Here comes the problem, my to-dos are mixed up with regular notes.

I would think this would be resolved by tagging.

I use two tags systems.
- First, !Actionable for action items
- Second.  When xxxxxx to identify urgency (Now, Soon, Later, Someday)

I have a search for When Now and When Soon in my shortcuts
I  select links for just those items which I paste into my daily journal

btw  Your English was fine

@DTLow Huge thanks for taking the time to answer this, highly appreciated! 

I don't fully understand though. If I search for a tag I only get the note that has that tag, how do I actually extract the text (i.e. the text after BP: in my case)?

@csihilling Huge thanks for taking the time to answer this, highly appreciated!  

Thanks! I'll try it and let you know 

• Level 5*

>> I don't fully understand though. If I search for a tag I only get the note that has that tag, how do I actually extract the text (i.e. the text after BP: in my case)?

If you've tagged the note, do you need BP: in front?

I do understand - many of my action items have "Task:" in front
It's redundant when I paste into a to-do list

Below is a sample of my journal to-do list for today.  
- I pasted in the links of the individual task notes.  
- I then edited the link display name and removed "Task:". It doesn't impact the actual link

Tasks Now
xxxxxx
Tasks Soon
xxxxxx
xxxxxx

• Level 5*

@henja485

IMO, it is not a simple task to extract multiple instances of text that follow BP: in one note and put them all in another note.  Some options:

1. With the aforementioned tool you may be able to do it, if you use check boxes as opposed to BP:. 
  2. You could try using a text expander/macro tool like PhaseExpress for Windows to create some hotkeys to facilitate the process. 
  3. You could make a copy of the note and delete all of the non BP: text,
  4. You could change your process and create a second note and just add your BP: items as you go through the month.
  5. You could add you BP: items to the top or bottom of the note as you go through the month. (Ctrl-End takes you to the bottom, Ctrl-Home to the top).

Others may have other suggestions, but I don't have any twinkie dust for this one, sorry.

Archived