(Archived) sub folders or nested notes

meggi

Idea

All I here are tags, tags and nested notes or sub folders are two different things. One is for searching for notes that might be in different categories and the other is an organizational system. All I know is this is probably one of the most sort after functions that people want. This way the long lists can be tamed. Lets say Word Documents, with subfolders, personal, work, information, passwords, etc.

What is the problem with this very normal procedure in many programs (Sub Categories)?

Take care all

12 replies to this idea

Yup, why isn't there the ability to create subfolders, or at least a way to organize the notes by categories within a notebook. For example I have a notebook for my camera rigs, now I need subfolders for the things like lenses, bodies, extras etc. There is no way to do this kind of thing without creating a seperate notebook for every little grouping?

At least there should be a way to "sort by tags" this way one could give to certain notes the tag "lenses" and then sort by tags and see all notes that belong to the section "lenses"!

What do you think of this workflow?

• Level 5*
Yup, why isn't there the ability to create subfolders

There's ample discussion about subfolders (or subnotebooks) elsewhere on the forum, including input from Evernote staff; You can find it by using the forum seach with terms 'subfolder' and/or 'subnotebook'.

, or at least a way to organize the notes by categories within a notebook. For example I have a notebook for my camera rigs, now I need subfolders for the things like lenses, bodies, extras etc. There is no way to do this kind of thing without creating a seperate notebook for every little grouping?

Just tag notes that relate to lenses with, say, 'Lens', and you can search for them easily, either by using the Evenote search (Search: tag:Lens) or by picking Lens in the tag list. Either one will filter your notes (in the selected notebook) for notes tagged with Lens.

~Jeff

Yes this is a way to do it, but if we could just sort by tags, we could see all tags as categories (like you see months as categories when you sort by date) and the notes with a specific tag within this category!

To continue with the example: You are in the notebook "camera" and you hit "sort by tag" you would then see the tags as categories like "lenses" or "bodies" etc. without searching for a specific tag (sometimes you forget what tag you applied to a note) and the notes that have that tag would be inside that section!

• Level 5*
Yes this is a way to do it, but if we could just sort by tags, we could see all tags as categories (like you see months as categories when you sort by date) and the notes with a specific tag within this category!

I replied to this in the other thread where you made the same point.

To continue with the example: You are in the notebook "camera" and you hit "sort by tag" you would then see the tags as categories like "lenses" or "bodies" etc. without searching for a specific tag (sometimes you forget what tag you applied to a note) and the notes that have that tag would be inside that section!

You can also perform filtering using the Tag list on the left. Select all notes in the notebook, and make sure that "Hide unassigned tags' is enabled. You should see only the tags for that notebook. Within that list, you can then select (or multiselect) the tags that you are interested in.

~Jeff

I really do not wish to SEARCH for related notes. If it were nested they would be right there. Otherwise any time there was a need for information relating to a category such as Photography with a subcategory of lenses and another subcatorgory on tripods I would have to do searches and to always remember to tag everything I place in Evernote. With just a subcategories below the main title you are Always assured of finding the information you need, even if you tagged the item incorrectly or forgot a tag to add.

Is nesting such a major programing item that you do not want to attempt it? ;)

Tom

I really do not wish to SEARCH for related notes. If it were nested they would be right there. Otherwise any time there was a need for information relating to a category such as Photography with a subcategory of lenses and another subcatorgory on tripods I would have to do searches and to always remember to tag everything I place in Evernote. With just a subcategories below the main title you are Always assured of finding the information you need, even if you tagged the item incorrectly or forgot a tag to add.

Is nesting such a major programing item that you do not want to attempt it? ;)

Tom

Tag ideologues always tell you that you don't need or want hierarchical containers, even when you know perfectly well that you do. I've no idea how a narrow and rather dull organizational metaphor becomes ideological, but somehow it does.

Perhaps retro-fitting nested notebooks to EN is more technically risky than it appears, in which case I'm sure the EN people over time will find ways of refining their tag implementation to cover most of what we need. But in the meantime I wish those who don't feel such a need would stop trying to tell those of us who do, that we really don't.

• Level 5*
Tag ideologues always tell you that you don't need or want hierarchical containers, even when you know perfectly well that you do. I've no idea how a narrow and rather dull organizational metaphor becomes ideological, but somehow it does.

Just making suggestions based on current Evernote reality: nested folders do not exist (and that doesn't mean that they might not be useful), they've been discussed an awful lot (and Evernote has discussed both an interest in and the difficulties of implementing them), and in the mean time, there are lots of folks who could benefit from learning to use tags better, because that's what you have to work with.

Perhaps retro-fitting nested notebooks to EN is more technically risky than it appears, in which case I'm sure the EN people over time will find ways of refining their tag implementation to cover most of what we need. But in the meantime I wish those who don't feel such a need would stop trying to tell those of us who do, that we really don't.

If you're referring to my posts in this thread, then please show me where I said anything remotely like that. If you can't, then please stop implying that I did.

~Jeff

If you're referring to my posts in this thread, then please show me where I said anything remotely like that. If you can't, then please stop implying that I did.

~Jeff

No, I wasn't aiming at you or your posts here or elsewhere, just a general phenomenon I've noted, particularly with regard to this topic. Apologies if my slightly irritable reply caused you offence. Attempts to assist people make the best use of tags to workaround any problems a lack of true hierarchies might cause are, of course, welcome.

• Level 5*
No, I wasn't aiming at you or your posts here or elsewhere, just a general phenomenon I've noted, particularly with regard to this topic. Apologies if my slightly irritable reply caused you offence. Attempts to assist people make the best use of tags to workaround any problems a lack of true hierarchies might cause are, of course, welcome.

Fair enough -- thanks for that. Sorry that I that I mistakenly took your comment personally.

~Jeff

Archived