Copying Dropbox Recipes into Evernote

Is there any way to copy formatted recipes from Dropbox to Evernote? I have tried Evernote Web Clipper to no avail.

Evernote Web Clipper works fine with recipes from websites on the Internet, but I’ve had no such luck with files from my online Dropbox account. The two apps are linked through If This, Then That (IFTT), but only Dropbox links are transferred, not the actual document.

To date, I’ve been copying and pasting Dropbox recipes into Evernote, which can be time consuming. If there’s a way to automatically do this, it would make my day. 

• Level 5*

Hi.  I use DropBox for bulk storage and Evernote for notes,  and some of my Evernote notes contain links to DB files.  I haven't tried to migrate files from one to the other in bulk,  but your recipes are presumably formatted in some word processor app or are html web pages.  Have a look at Import Folders - if you designate one of your dropbox folders as an Import Folder (and use Evernote Windows) your files will magically be transferred across into notes.  Probably.  If you're a Mac user,  there are script alternatives to do the same thing - have a search in the Forums for more...

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, GibsonGirl55 said:
To date, I’ve been copying and pasting Dropbox recipes into Evernote, which can be time consuming. If there’s a way to automatically do this, it would make my day. 

Which platform?

As @gazumped said, in Windows, it's as simple as moving your files to an import folder

On my Mac, I had to use AppleScript code to do the same thing, but it allowed me to do some customization like notebook and tags.

I have imported Dropbox files into Evernote, which is really simple. However, what is imported is a link that opens in MSWord, not a formatted page as one would from http://cooking.nytimes.com/.

For instance, an imported carrot cake recipe from Dropbox results in a link to the file’s location (usually MSWord). However, a carrot cake recipe from the New York Times is a formatted document that appears in its original form in Evernote. And using the Evernote web clipper does not work at all on documents that are pulled up from Dropbox’s website.

So, I am just wondering if there is something that I am missing to accomplish this, or if Evernote handles cloud service-based documents differently than documents from websites.

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, GibsonGirl55 said:

I have imported Dropbox files into Evernote, which is really simple. However, what is imported is a link that opens in MSWord, not a formatted page as one would from http://cooking.nytimes.com/
So, I am just wondering if there is something that I am missing to accomplish this, or if Evernote handles cloud service-based documents differently than documents from websites.

Its kind of an apple and oranges situation, Your items are being handled differently because of their type.
Evernote does a pretty good job of displaying images (jpg), pdf's, and html.
If you can give a specific example, and attachment of what you're trying to import, we can explain further.

If you use the web clipper or helper (Mac?) it generally works well.

I've attached a file with three examples to illustrate what I am referencing. The first is an imported document, which is essentially a link to the original article. The second example is a recipe from the Food Network which was clipped by Evernote Web Clipper. The third, which is a mess, is a Dropbox.com document that was opened and clipped with the Evernote Web Clipper. 

Now if this is a matter of apples and oranges, fine. I just want to be sure there isn't something I am missing so I don't have to format a Word document and manually paste it into EverNote. 

Evernote Question.docx

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, GibsonGirl55 said:

I've attached a file with three examples to illustrate what I am referencing.

Lets be clear about terminology.

1. Importing - I think the only way to do this is cut and paste.  You may loose formatting if its not supported by EN
  2. Attachments 
    You can attach all sorts of files to your notes.
    EN will store the attachment; sync to your devices; but it doesn't mean that EN knows how to process the file.
    For some file attachments, EN will include it in the search process.  See https://blog.evernote.com/blog/2013/03/25/search-better-with-evernote-premium-document-search/ for more details.

>>The first is an imported document, which is essentially a link to the original article

This is an attachment, as in EN will store it, but doesn't know how to process it.
I think with this file type, EN will include it in search processing.

If you want to see whats in the attachment, you need to open it with an app that knows how to process it, like Word.

One solution is to use Word to output this as a pdf file, and attach that file to the note instead or in addition to the word file.
EN does a good job of displaying pdf files.

>>The second example is a recipe from the Food Network which was clipped by Evernote Web Clipper.

That looks ok - did you mean to only clip the left side of the page

I think the clipper actually imports the data, and stores it with html format code.

>>The third, which is a mess, is a Dropbox.com document that was opened and clipped with the Evernote Web Clipper. 

Not sure what this is.
Just an idea - post the public link so I can look at the actual not.

Here is the public link to the recipe from Dropbox.com. https://www.dropbox.com/s/8iltyigr55hkgu9/Emeril%27s%20Beef%20Ribs.docx?dl=0 I thought that I could use Evernote Web Clipper to insert the document in Evernote and have it appear like the recipes that I have clipped at various websites, e.g,, bonappetit.com, http://cooking.nytimes.com/, et.al. Instead, I get the garbled mess that doesn't make any sense. I was under the impression that if the document came from Dropbox.com, it would appear in its original format as is the case from other sites on the Internet. 

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, GibsonGirl55 said:

The third, which is a mess, is a Dropbox.com document that was opened and clipped with the Evernote Web Clipper. 

I actually meant the link to your Evernote document, but the dropbox link worked better.

I'm not a dropbox user, but this is what I saw
- you have a .docx file stored in Dropbox
- unlike EN, Dropbox actually displays the files contents
   but you can't use web clipper to get the contents (I don't know why)

1. This would be the same situation as #1 at https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/93339-copying-dropbox-recipes-into-evernote/?do=findComment&comment=394113
  2. I used the EN Helper (Mac?) and copied the contents to this note https://www.evernote.com/shard/s10/nl/296000055/2c7762a8-e06a-4374-bd24-f153d68fe4de/
    This gives you the contents as image files (I did 3 passes)
  3. Given the contents is simple text, my recommendation would be to open the document in Word, and then do a simple copy/paste to an Evernote note
  • Level 5*
7 hours ago, GibsonGirl55 said:

Copying and pasting recipes from Word is what I've been doing. If this is what I have to continue doing with Word documents from Dropbox, I will do so. Just thought there might be another way.

What platform are you running Evernote on, PC or Mac?  If Mac, you could use AppleScript/JXA to get the contents of the Word docs in your DropBox folders on your Mac, and create a new EN Notes using that content., or you could create an EN Note with the Word doc as an attachment.

If I had that recipe in Dropbox and wanted to move it to Evernote, I think I would have two choices and which one I would take would depend on how many recipes like this I had. If I had just a few, I'd probably copy and paste them into individual Evernote notes. This way they are plainly viewable in Evernote. 

But if I had a bunch of them, I'd download them into and Evernote Import folder on my computer and let Evernote import it. In this case, each one would be imported as one note with an attached document. The note would carry the name of the document so I would know what was in it. Then I'd click on the attachment when I wanted to see it and it would open in MS Word on my computer or in an app on my Android tablet.

JMichaelTX, Candid: I am using a PC, Windows 10. Since I prefer having my Dropbox notes in Evernote as whole documents as opposed to attachments, I will just continue cutting and pasting them into Evernote. It's not a chore I dislike; just thought there was a more direct way of getting Dropbox recipes into Evernote. But thank you for your responses. :-)

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, GibsonGirl55 said:

Since I prefer having my Dropbox notes in Evernote as whole documents as opposed to attachments,

You could have both.  The note could contain the pasted text + the attachment, or a link back to your Dropbox document.

I do this sometimes because the content gets distorted when pasting, mostly with non-text.
I also find that covering to pdf is useful.

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, GibsonGirl55 said:

I converted one of my recipes from MSWord into a pdf file and moved it to Evernote's import folder. Works like a charm. :-)

As you see, Evernote plays nicer with pdf attachments.  Also jpg attachments,

20 hours ago, GibsonGirl55 said:

I converted one of my recipes from MSWord into a pdf file and moved it to Evernote's import folder. Works like a charm. :-)

You will be able to see the PDF in the desktop application. BUT it is still in the Evernote account as attachment. I think search of it will be similar to MS Word. And depending on your overall system the Word document maybe easier to edit. Further, in smaller devices like Android tablets and phones it will show up as attachment not appear to be open as it does in the desktop application. 

• Level 5*
17 minutes ago, Candid said:

And depending on your overall system the Word document maybe easier to edit.

Good Point.  I have made use of Evernote's pdf annotation feature but its not the same as updating the raw text.

>>Further, in smaller devices like Android tablets and phones it will show up as attachment not appear to be open as it does in the desktop application. 

I would have thought a pdf attachment would open easier than a word attachment.

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, GibsonGirl55 said:

Ah, I noticed that a pdf file on the phone application had to be opened with Adobe Reader. 

•  

For me, that was a simple free download from the Apple apps store.  You'd probably want the app on your desktop too.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, GibsonGirl55 said:

Ah, I noticed that a pdf file on the phone application had to be opened with Adobe Reader

I don't think you need Adobe Reader to view a PDF within EN iOS.  I'm running EN iOS 7.9.2, and a simple tap on the PDF icon opens the PDF for viewing in Evernote.

• Level 5*
On January 21, 2016 at 9:42 AM, GibsonGirl55 said:

Just wondering what you see as the benefit to having an attached file, instead of just copying the text into a note.
From my viewpoint, the only benefit is that it makes it read-only, since it's only a simple recipe list.

Simply saving a Word docx as a PDF file and importing it is less time-consuming than copying, pasting, and possibly formatting a document to my liking directly into a note. Personally, I don't have the need for attachments at this point, altough I'm sure it has its uses--even for putting Evernote to use as a personal collection of recipe files. 

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, GibsonGirl55 said:

Simply saving a Word docx as a PDF file and importing it is less time-consuming than copying, pasting, and possibly formatting a document to my liking directly into a note.

I agree.  In fact, if you have setup EN Win Import folders, or EN Mac Import Folder using AppleScript, you could very easily and quickly just open the Word docx in DropBox, and file save as PDF to the import folder.  Job done.

BTW, there are also batch tools that will convert Word docs to PDF, so you could convert them all and import to EN in one fell swoop..  :)

Archived