How can I store an image in a Note at full resolution but display as thumbnail?

Hello

I am new to Evernote

I want to create Notes that have images that are stored at full resolution, but which are displayed as thumbnails. SURELY this is possible (!) but I can not see how.

This can be done in other applications e.g. Microsoft Word - even in HTML.

J

P.S. This is an absolute deal-breaker for me.

Btw I am running: Evernote v5.9 Public (on Windows 8.1 x64) 

• Level 5

My suggestion is to store your photos and images in a different program more suited for photos.

Flickr, Google Photo, Picasa, ACDsee, etc. / or a blog like WordPress, SquareSpace, Live Journal, etc.

Evernote is fine for text and web captures, but not so useful for managing photos and associated thumbnails.

• Level 5*

I agree with @JBenson2 about storing your photos elsewhere.

But if you want to maintain the full resolution of the image in Evernote, you can put it in a table with one cell that has been resized to the size you want to view the image.

• Level 5

put it in a table with one cell that has been resized to the size you want to view the image.

That is a cool tip. I had my doubts, but I just tried it and it works.

In Windows, I can only adjust the width, not height. But as I shrink the width, the height changes and maintains the ratio.

And as a bonus, the original quality is retained.

Thanks

Yes using a table does work - sort of!

Meanwhile
A. why does annotate not always come up during a mouse-over on a photo?

B. Is there any way to hotkey multiple rows into a table?

Honestly given the vast number of users of Evernote I am gob-smacked at how clunky this is!

We should be able to right-click and re-size as a menu option. 

OR click and drag a corner. 

• Level 5*

Hi.  You could raise all of your reservations as feature requests if you wish - Evernote started off as a tool with the general aim of taking notes,  storing files and clipping web pages.  Being a picture manager wasn't on their radar,  and AFAIK still isn't.  Like the others I use third-party software - Nikon/ Lightroom/ Picassa/ Flickr for 'serious' photography storage,  and Evernote for pictures documenting processes or information.  I'm using the beta version of EN 5.9.4 for Windows,  which does allow you to grab the bottom cornet of a pic and resize it,  and it is suprisingly useful to do so for lots of reasons.  That should make it to a production version fairly shortly...

Hi.  You could raise all of your reservations as feature requests if you wish - Evernote started off as a tool with the general aim of taking notes,  storing files and clipping web pages.  Being a picture manager wasn't on their radar,  and AFAIK still isn't.  Like the others I use third-party software - Nikon/ Lightroom/ Picassa/ Flickr for 'serious' photography storage,  and Evernote for pictures documenting processes or information.  I'm using the beta version of EN 5.9.4 for Windows,  which does allow you to grab the bottom cornet of a pic and resize it,  and it is suprisingly useful to do so for lots of reasons.  That should make it to a production version fairly shortly...

To get clear, I'm not wanting to story seriously high resolution (multi-MB) photos... it's just that I want to display normal web resolution photos as thumbnails. 

I have not yet invested sufficient time in using Evernnote as to want to submit feature requests. Moreover the fact that after all this time this basic level of functionality is missing makes me unwilling to get too involved.

Where can I download a trial of EN 5.9.4 Beta for Windows?

EDIT:

Wait, I think I've found it here:

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/89014-new-evernote-for-windows-594-beta/

EDIT02:

Yes! That seems to work.

(What I now want to know is how on earth Evernote has managed to blow $300 million in VC fundraising over 10 full years, employing over 300 staff without implementing such an obvious requirement previously. This company does not seem to have good corporate 'DNA'...)

Archived