Centrallo - a free Evernote alternative

• Level 5*

Tried it a while ago - looking at the website today it seems that the current free version is limited to 100 notes,  and the $4.95/ month version to 15GB online storage.  Both of which are peanuts compared to the note volumes and storage you can get with Evernote.  It worked well enough,  but I wasn't prepared to invest the time learning a new app to try it out in depth or over a period.  Can't speak for its reliability or security.

• Level 5*

Tried it a while ago - looking at the website today it seems that the current free version is limited to 100 notes,  and the $4.95/ month version to 15GB online storage.  Both of which are peanuts compared to the note volumes and storage you can get with Evernote.  It worked well enough,  but I wasn't prepared to invest the time learning a new app to try it out in depth or over a period.  Can't speak for its reliability or security.

i'm afraid i'm going to have to ask you to put down the food, step away from the troll, and leave the area. nothing to see here.

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/88968-centrallo-a-free-evernote-alternative/?p=380566

• 3 months later...
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

Yet you do.  Have you been assimilated?

AS an Apple/Evernote fanboy, I resemble that remark.
I still look at the alternatives just for ideas, but for the most part - its not a productive use of time.
I posted the details above just to save anyone else from checking this out and being broken hearted when they find out there are flaws.

Who is trolling?

What's your problem?

Centrallo is a compliment to Evernote not a replacement.   It's to help people like you organize your notes into a friendly heirarchal list structure that's easy to share publicly or privately.  

Respect them as they are only trying to help YOU be more productive.  

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Roberta Moll said:

Who is trolling?

What's your problem?

Centrallo is a compliment to Evernote not a replacement.   It's to help people like you organize your notes into a friendly heirarchal list structure that's easy to share publicly or privately.  

Respect them as they are only trying to help YOU be more productive.  

Hi Roberta. OK. I'll feed the troll a little.

I do not think that word means what you think it means. The name of your thread is "a free Evernote alternative," which suggests YOU are the one without much respect for the folks who are only trying to help you be more productive; namely, the Evernote staff. If you meant to suggest the service as a complement to Evernote, maybe you shouldn't have followed up your sales pitch for Centrallo with "Look out Evernote!" or referred to Evernote as the "Netscape" of note taking apps. LOL.

I think that's enough troll food for today. Centrallo may be the best thing since sliced bread, but you are doing it a disservice by trolling the forums of competitors. 

By the way, since you seem to know so much about Centrallo, could you tell us:

1. where they store user data (on their servers or borrowed ones) and what features are in place to protect our data at rest from unauthorized access by employees, hackers, etc.?

2.  about how many employees they have (are you one of them)?

3. when you started using Centrallo?

4. what this phrase from their privacy policy means; "If Centrallo is involved in a merger, acquisition, or similar transaction, your information may be transferred as part of that transaction"?

5. what this phrase from the privacy policy means;  "We follow generally accepted standards to protect the information submitted to us, both during transmission and once we receive it"?

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Roberta Moll said:

What's your problem?

I'm not sure who this is directed at
Personally, I don't have  a problem with your postings.  
They're not excessive and Evernote comes out stronger in the comparison and competition. 
It might be considered tacky to this in Evernote's own forums.

>>Who is trolling?
Fishing is such a lost art..??  
I could be wrong, but it looks like you have a connection with this product, and are soliciting customers. Are you providing full disclosure of any connection?

>>Centrallo is a compliment to Evernote not a replacement.
That might contradict the name of your thread - Centrallo - a free Evernote alternative

• Level 5*
30 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I'm not sure who this is directed at
Personally, I don't have  a problem with your postings.  
They're not excessive and Evernote comes out stronger in the comparison and competition. 
It might be considered tacky to this in Evernote's own forums.

>>Who is trolling?
Fishing is such a lost art..??  
I could be wrong, but it looks like you have a connection with this product, and are soliciting customers. Are you providing full disclosure of any connection?

>>Centrallo is a compliment to Evernote not a replacement.
That might contradict the name of your thread - Centrallo - a free Evernote alternative

i think it might have been directed at gaz, though i am probably the first one to label her as a troll -- something i rarely do. she only seems interested in joining these forums to throw shade at evernote and hawk her product. seems like trolling to me, but i'll go with tacky :)

evernote comes out stronger in the comparison because of our discussions, not because of anything she has added. i believe this may be the first time she has actually engaged with anyone. usually she only has time to copy/paste her sales pitch and a link. perhaps if she joins the discussions, she'll seem less like a troll and more like a member of the community.

• Level 5*

Yep - I think that was me,  the troublemaker.  As an experienced user of note-taking apps I was poking a little reasonably gentle fun at Roberta whose previous 16 posts,  coincidentally I'm sure,  have all I think been along the lines of "have you tried this alternative to Evernote?".  At least one commentator seems to have been persuaded that Centrallo is a potentially viable option,  but while the piece is called "A quick look..." it doesn't actually raise any questions about some things which would worry me,  or do any kind of accurate comparison between the various options available,  of which OneNote seems like an increasingly viable contender (based purely on features!).

In my defence I'd point out that I did bring the item to everyone's attention here,  and no publicity is actually "bad" publicity...  (although 'no publicity' would definitely be bad,  because then no-one would ever hear about it...)

Hmmn.  Going to bed now..  ^_^

Archived