(Archived) Saved Searches Not Same on Desktop and Web

I have a saved search on @star*. On my desktop version, there are three notes in this saved search. (As a sidebar, this saved search not only finds any notes with the text @star in them, but any that I've manually tagged with my @star tag - but I digress.)

My problem is this: When I look at the web version of my database, there are 274 notes in the saved search! That's quite a few more than the 3 I was expecting. Through a bit of trial and error, I discovered that the "@" seems irrelevant when it comes to the web version. In other words, my saved search for @star* is finding (almost exactly) the exact same notes as a search for star* would. Actually, it seems to be finding the combination of a search for @star* and star*.

Needless to say, the behaviour is not desirable, on so many levels.

For one thing, I want to be able to continue using my @ tags.

For another thing, even if the new EN broke the ability to search on a @, it should then at least be consistently broken on both the web and desktop versions.

I think what it means is that if you have a tag called "foo" and you've created a saved search that looks for "foo", the saved search will find all those notes tagged with foo, as well as those containing foo.

My main point was not that though - it was the fact that the results for @foo are different on the desktop vs. the web. In the web, it's also finding just "foo", instead of just "@foo". I was wondering if the @ was being ignored?

You are exactly right on both points. Now search includes tags, as well as note content and titles. And yes, punctuation marks are ignored in some queries.

For example, "apples&oranges" will be indexed using the words "apples" and "oranges", not a single token "apples&oranges". Punctuation is ignored in the search ... it is used to split the words for searching, but it is not included in the words that are indexed.

Note that if the search were done via "tag:@star", this would get the desired result, since this does an exact match against the tag name, but searches across the text of the note will ignore any punctuation (and multiple spacing) in the search query for purposes of matching.

We realize that this may be confusing and are still reviewing this behavior.

Not only confusing, but breaks everything.

How many of us are using keywords in our notes in order to get them matched to specific automatic categories? I myself have probably 100 categories filtered on a keyword that starts with @. I use the @, or sometimes #, to distinguish a keyword from a regularly occurring. That's one of the most powerful things in 2.2 that I love. You wouldn't believe how many notes I get automatically tagged in this fashion.

I'm not sure I understand the rational for ignoring punctuation in the saved searches.

As an enthusiastic user of David Allen's Getting Things Done methodology, I too make heavy use of the "@" character in my category names and as searchable keywords in my EverNote Classic notes.

I also make heavy use of the "[" and "]" characters to create searchable keywords in my notes that I seek with EverNote Classic automatic keyword category textual filters.

I also make heavy use of the "[" and "]" characters to create searchable keywords in my notes that I seek with EverNote Classic automatic keyword category textual filters.

I use curly brackets ({ }) for the same purpose.

Marc, by the way, I like your coinage of EverNote Classic and EverNote Lite.

I use curly brackets ({ }) for the same purpose.

So do I, come to think of it. :) Thanks for reminding me.

Archived