Version 7.7.7 crashes?

Electrochem

Idea

Since downloading the new version on my iPhone (iOS not upgraded), the program closes whenever I try to take a photo of a business card.  It takes the photo, shows the photo and then immediately crashes rather than saving the image or translating the text.

Suggestions/ideas?

11 replies to this idea

• Level 5

Since downloading the new version on my iPhone (iOS not upgraded), the program closes whenever I try to take a photo of a business card.  It takes the photo, shows the photo and then immediately crashes rather than saving the image or translating the text.

Suggestions/ideas?

Hi,

I'm sorry about the problems you (and others) are experiencing scanning business cards. We are actively trying to resolve the issues that we're having with the camera, and the iPhone 6 Plus is affected more than other devices. We have noticed that when the device gets into a memory-constrained state (while using Evernote or other apps), it may crash while processing a captured image. We have also noticed that when the device gets into that state, several apps may have similar issues.

Rebooting the device has been found to fix the problem, at least temporarily. We don't like that solution any more than you do, and we aren't satisfied with it. We'll keep working on isolating the issue and making it better.

Cheers,

Chuck

• Level 5*

Suggestions/ideas?

Hi,

I'm sorry about the problems you (and others) are experiencing scanning business cards. We are actively trying to resolve the issues that we're having with the camera, and the iPhone 6 Plus is affected more than other devices. We have noticed that when the device gets into a memory-constrained state (while using Evernote or other apps), it may crash while processing a captured image. We have also noticed that when the device gets into that state, several apps may have similar issues.

Rebooting the device has been found to fix the problem, at least temporarily. We don't like that solution any more than you do, and we aren't satisfied with it. We'll keep working on isolating the issue and making it better.

Cheers,

Chuck

Chuck,

I'm still running EN iOS 7.6.5 on my iPhone 6+ and it works very well -- no crashes.

The EN iOS crashes (particularly Camera related) started with Ver 7.7.

You have made several more releases since then, each claiming to fix the camera bug.

Yet they continue.

Before we need new features, we need a rock-solid Evernote app.

You guys have now rushed to release several EN iOS updates that had major bugs.

Please, please, before you release an update, give it exhaustive testing, then do a public beta, more testing, and only when you have no material bugs release the update.  Others may disagree, but I see no new features in the Ver 7.7+ updates that could not have waited another month or so to allow proper test.  This includes the support for Apple Watch.  Sure it's cool, but we've been waiting years for an Apple Watch.  Another month or so won't kill us.  ;)

• Level 5

Chuck,

I'm still running EN iOS 7.6.5 on my iPhone 6+ and it works very well -- no crashes.

The EN iOS crashes (particularly Camera related) started with Ver 7.7.

You have made several more releases since then, each claiming to fix the camera bug.

Yet they continue.

Before we need new features, we need a rock-solid Evernote app.

You guys have now rushed to release several EN iOS updates that had major bugs.

Please, please, before you release an update, give it exhaustive testing, then do a public beta, more testing, and only when you have no material bugs release the update.  Others may disagree, but I see no new features in the Ver 7.7+ updates that could not have waited another month or so to allow proper test.  This includes the support for Apple Watch.  Sure it's cool, but we've been waiting years for an Apple Watch.  Another month or so won't kill us.  ;)

Hi JMichael,

I appreciate your feedback. All software has some bugs, and we attempt to fix the most prevalent bugs and crashes with each release. We have made a lot of progress on the camera issues, though it is still problematic for some iPhone 6 Plus users who find their devices in an unhappy state. When that happens, rebooting the device works for the vast majority of people who have tried it. We don't like this solution, so we continue to work on improving it with each release.

Apple doesn't allow for public iOS app betas, however if you're interested in joining our private beta program please see the Become an Evernote Beta Tester post. We'd appreciate your feedback on our betas! There are some releases where we cannot do beta testing because of dependencies on services and/or other clients, but most releases we have 1 or more beta releases and do extensive testing before submitting to the App Store.

Cheers,

Chuck

Hi there,

I'm having trouble saving business cards to contacts manually (but no problems when the auto save to contacts function is enabled on my iPhone). Two things happen:

1 - I click 'save to contacts' and the details don't appear in my contacts; or

2 - I click 'save to contacts' and Evernote crashes

Would love this to be sorted because it was one of the only reasons myself and a colleague purchased Premium. We would like to keep ising Evernote in our workplace but won't move to Evernote Business unless this function works.

Have an iPhone 6+ and it constantly crashes with 7.7.7 using the card recognition feature (one of the main reasons I am a premium user) and it is broken again!!!! This is not acceptable from such a great company :( 

I have tried killing all other programs and it works once in a while. A reboot is only a temporary fix as it goes back to crashing after 1 or 2 cards (and annoying as hell as all your finger print stuff resets to typing in a password). 

This has been a problem for weeks... so why not fix and update the app? PLEASE PLEASE thoroughly test this feature PRIOR to putting out a new release as it seems V 7.7.x of this app breaks it then fixes is then breaks it then fixes it... on and on.......

PLEASE HELP :)

Thank you for your attention to this matter

• Level 5*

PLEASE PLEASE thoroughly test this feature PRIOR to putting out a new release as it seems V 7.7.x of this app breaks it then fixes is then breaks it then fixes it... on and on.......

• Level 5*

Apple doesn't allow for public iOS app betas, however if you're interested in joining our private beta program please see the Become an Evernote Beta Tester post. We'd appreciate your feedback on our betas! There are some releases where we cannot do beta testing because of dependencies on services and/or other clients, but most releases we have 1 or more beta releases and do extensive testing before submitting to the App Store.

I'm having same problem.  Evernote dies when taking a photo.   If it is any help in looking at solutions, I liked the photo function much better several months ago when I COULD CHOOSE when to take a photo, rather than having to retake it if there is a problem.  I also like being able to select whether I was scanning a document, business card, etc.   Perhaps an earlier version would work better for now?   I have an iPhone 6 plus.   

My solution to the problem has been to simply buy a subscription to iCloud and just take photos and save them in iCloud, which saves Apple compatible tags, which I like.   Until Evernote fixes this, I recommend checking out using Icloud and photos to handle this issue simply.

The crashing of the Evernote app when taking a picture (iOS iPhone 6+) is terrible. The answers I read about a possible solution gives me the feeling the guys at Evernote do not have a clue. It worries me and, if I knew this when I started working with the platform, I would not have started at all.

I'm looking for a replacement but hope the issue is resolved before I've found and tested a new one. If I do find the replacement app I''l post it here. Perhaps anyone has a suggestion?

Archived