Microsoft's Edge browser and OneNote combo is a serious threat for Evernote

I was reading about the new Microsoft Edge browser. It has easy ways to make notes for websites directly in the browser, share those notes and import them into OneNote.

Isn't that a serious threat for Evernote with its web clipper? It seems like more and more Evernote functionality is put directly into Microsoft products / software and therefore makes it harder for Evernote to keep a product with unique features.

Or am I wrong? ;)

• Level 5*

I'll look forward to reading reviews by someone running Edge and OneNote to see how it compares to Evernote..  but I'm not going to be one of the first to try moving my notes across - new software tends to have unexpected drawbacks.  I think Evernote is safe unless and until MS builds up a similarly enthusiastic following...

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have a Surface Pro 3 so I should be here talking about how great One Note is, but it doesn't work for me. First, there is the dearth of tag usability. Tags are the way to go for me. Next, the pro stylus doesn't work that well in OneNote if you want it to convert your handwriting to text. I guess I am the only one who wants that, but it is hard to do and get to. In Evernote that functionality works well. Finally there is the layout. While I can appreciate the concept of an ifinite layout page, I don't like the fell of the boxes when I go to take notes. I mostly take text notes so having a box be over some and not lined up to the right bugs me. 

• Level 5*

Unless they open up the Edge browser for OSX, it just will never overtake Evernote IMHO. I love OneNote on Windows, but Microsoft does a horrific job making their apps comparable across OSes. Most of the awesome PC features are missing from the Mac version, etc.

• Level 5*

Unless they open up the Edge browser for OSX, it just will never overtake Evernote IMHO. I love OneNote on Windows, but Microsoft does a horrific job making their apps comparable across OSes. Most of the awesome PC features are missing from the Mac version, etc.

I tend to agree with you @chirmer, but Microsoft has been steadily improving their Mac apps, including OneNote, for some time now.

I don't know, but I suspect, that it is just a matter of time until ON Mac has parity with ON Win.

A great example is MS Office 2016 Mac just released.  The Win version is not out yet.  MS has stated that they specifically have tried to make sure Office Mac has the same feature set as Windows.  I haven't tried it yet, so I can't confirm nor deny.   ;)

It may be too early to tell, but it seems that MS have turned the corner on being anti-Mac.  It was never in their best interest to be so.

Archived