How to Automate Importing PDF files in a folder to Evernote without confirmation dialogue

Tony Dehnke

Idea

Hi, I'm try to automate a workflow.  What I want to do is be able to automatically import a scan (or PDF) directly into Evernote without having evernote pop up a dialogue box (i.e. just do it in the background or automatically).  I've been playing around with the Fujitsu IX500 Scansnap software, with Folder Action and even IFTTT - but can't get them to do exactly what I want.   Folder Actions probably comes closest but each time a new document is scanned Evernote still pops up with a dialogue box asking what notebook to put it in and what tags.

So does anyone have a way to just have a PDF be automatically added to Evernote without doing anything?

Thanks!

5 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi - I'm contractually obliged to give you the standard warning that scanning direct to Evernote can Damage Your Health*  ( ;)) but if you really want to do it,  there should be a scanner option to Scan to Document which will put a PDF into Evernote.  ScanSnap Manager can handle quite a lot of traffic into the database - and will allow you to save OCR'd (searchable) documents for quick access.

* As in:  you could also scan to a folder on your desktop,  giving you a chance to edit and retitle scans before moving to Evernote.

• Level 5*

So does anyone have a way to just have a PDF be automatically added to Evernote without doing anything?

One option is to scan to a folder that you have setup in Evernote as an import folder.

Scanning to a folder, from which Evernote imports works great.

(I also setup a dedicated PDF printer that prints to that folder.)

The problem is that Scansnap's "Scan to Folder" will ALWAYS prompt for a filename.

This video shows the needed change - change to Scan to file (choose a default directory) or "none" (depending on the version of ScanSnap)  http://www.documentsnap.com/stop-scansnap-from-prompting-you-when-you-scan/

No more prompts!

Files scan into the folder and Evernote slurps them up!

• Level 5*

You should have an option in ScanSnap Manager (in the non-EESS software) to set a standard filename,  which can just be a date and time stamp.  I'd recommend against it however - "intitle:<keyword>" searches are a good way to avoid false (and too many) hits in searches.  If I searched for 'meeting' generally,  I'd get hundreds of hits where random scans have caught emails,  articles,  software reviews etc etc.  Intitle:meeting however gets me all the notes where I actually went to a meeting.  Adding a month qualifier chops that down to a time period within which I can find the relevant note quickly and easily.

Hi, I'm try to automate a workflow.  What I want to do is be able to automatically import a scan (or PDF) directly into Evernote without having evernote pop up a dialogue box (i.e. just do it in the background or automatically).  I've been playing around with the Fujitsu IX500 Scansnap software, with Folder Action and even IFTTT - but can't get them to do exactly what I want.   Folder Actions probably comes closest but each time a new document is scanned Evernote still pops up with a dialogue box asking what notebook to put it in and what tags.

Thanks!

I've been trying to do the same thing with Mac OS X Yosemite. What Folder a Action script are using to watch your Evernote import folder.

Archived