Penultimate 6.0.3 Released

cifip

Idea

• Level 5

Hi all,

We released Penultimate 6.0.3 to the App Store earlier today.

What’s new:
  • Substantial Jot Script writing improvements
    • Improvements to stylus responsiveness, dropped strokes, palm rejection, and offset
    • Upgraded to Adonit JotTouch SDK 2.6.5.1012
  • Writing view improvements
    • Scrolling responsiveness: two-finger scrolling will now respond to your first swipe gesture
    • Image resizing: long-press on an image to expose corner handles for easier resizing
  • Zoom box improvements
    • Panning within the zoom box: using two fingers within the zoomed writing area, swipe to reposition the zoom box
    • Zoom box no longer drifts when using eraser or selection tools
    • Ink renders at proper thickness on retina devices
    • Page no longer scrolls slowly after scrolling inside zoom box
  • Other improvements
    • Photos can be saved to camera roll: User > Settings > Add Photos to Camera Roll (on/off)
    • Default note title changed to “Written [date, time]”
    • Link to Getting Started guide: User > Settings > Getting Started Guide
  • Notable bug fixes:
    • Copy / Cut / Paste menu not showing occasionally
    • Large note warnings and sync indicators (on the note list screen)
    • Performance improvements on iPad 3 & 4
    • Top crashes were addressed

Please let us know what you think.

You can download the Penultimate app from the App Store.

Cheers!

23 replies to this idea

Hi Guys

making steps in the right direction... I even thought I could start using this again - but having terrible trouble with the JotScript. Apparently battery is low on the JotScript - funny as all other apps say it is 100%. Tried a new battery anyway and still disconnecting and pen is flashing that battery is low.

This does not happen on other apps, and even Penultimate 5.2.1 (my safety roll back version) seems to like the 'old' battery (which is detailed as having 100% charge).

Seems I will be sticking to v5 for a little longer...

N

I loved penultimate 5  For me whilst the changes improve what you have created, they go nowhere close to the smooth functionality 5 had. Again Chuck Pleeeease put back page turning, the scrolling still has me rubbing out the finger marks when the response is slow - this is a common occurrence. When looking through a notebook (some have 80 to 150 pages the v5 view was far superior to the one column scroll you introduced. If you want just give me a way to roll my notes back to v5 status. Then Ill upgrade to v6 when functionality is included

Remember you did not inform us that ALL our notes format would change and functionality would be drastically reduced - had you done that I would never have upgraded until the app had proven itself. You still haven't proven this ALL NEW APP which is not an upgrade - in truth it is an entirely separate and new app. 

• Level 5

Prior versions allowed a notebook to contain multiple paper types.  V6 notebooks change all existing pages when a new paper type is selected.  Can i get the old behavior back?  My notebooks may need checklists, diagrams, storyboards, etc.  It's problematic when my checklist becomes a storyboard.  Thanks.   

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the feedback. We're working on allowing multiple page types and orientations within a note for a future release of Penultimate. Meanwhile, you can create multiple notes within a notebook, each with different paper types and orientations.

Cheers,

Chuck

Prior versions allowed a notebook to contain multiple paper types.  V6 notebooks change all existing pages when a new paper type is selected.  Can i get the old behavior back?  My notebooks may need checklists, diagrams, storyboards, etc.  It's problematic when my checklist becomes a storyboard.  Thanks.   

I do like Penulultimate 6 and I see it getting better with every little update. It's easy and intuitive, avoiding bloat and overload. I think it's a good strategy of Evernote to keep thing s simple. There are lots of more capable (and less intuitive) handwriting apps out there for those in need.

That said, there are two things I'd love to see:

- An intelligent zoom box á la GoodNotes, which is much superior

- Shape recognition for drawing basic geometric shapes (á la GoodNotes)

you're not listening and you never listened and i guess you will never listen.

WE WANT THE OLD VERSION - WHY CAN'T YOU HEAR THIS. WE DON'T LIKE THE NEW VERSION, STUPID.

IGNORANCE IS NOT KNOWING, STUPID IS NOT BEING WILLING OR ABLE TO LEARN.

GIVE US THE OPTION, CAN'T YOU HEAR US ASKING FOR THAT?

we don't want to hear how you're fixing the new version - we don't like it. we liked the old version.

i would so fire all of you if this was my company.

jeff fountain

Hi I upgraded  and now i can't see where to set my notes to go in order of name of the note  what happens every time i add a note it move s that note to the top and i need them to stay where they are in order of name any help ???? thanks    and any word on app for iPhone 6   Thanks again

Got a new iPad and installed the New Penultimate.  I had no idea what all the fuss was about until I started using this version from something nearer the original. 

The simple elegance of your previous design made it the very best thing about having an iPad. 

First issue for me is writing outside the zoom box seems to drift or ghost elsewhere...maybe a good .5CM or so.  I have tried all different orientations and wrist placmenents.  Not fixing it.

The zoom box is too small.  I use MindMaps to take notes, and this just is making me incredibly inefficient.

Very sad to see the changes, none of which I like. As with so many others, having to move to Notability.

Thank goodness Notability exists.

Rob

Happily I am now confident to use penultimate on a daily basis. I have suffered no crashes since this upgrade. The 2 finger scroll no longer feels unresponsive and fragile. The zoom box speed is fine for me, and unlike some I have really taken to this feature. The responsiveness of writing is acceptable, better than before. For the way I like to take notes penultimate is back to being the best. It has been an interesting month or two trying several other apps, including typing notes direct from keyboard in to evernote. However, I am happier with penultimate. Thank you.

:D Now I'm happy again with Penultimate! No crash, no loss of data and the zoom-box works nearly perfect, there are some speed adaption problems during the writing, but you made a big step back into the right direction. Thanks for that! I was close to replace the program. Well done!

Greetz

This is night and day -- I typically use zoom when writing, and it had worked well, but now it's nearly perfect.  The smoothness of the strokes has improved dramatically, and where before I would have to hit the Undo button several times per line, I have yet to do so with 6.0.3.

Keep up the good work!

Sadly, this update has not improved inking with my Jot Script. The problem with the palm being recognized is still prevalent. I have not been able to use my Jot Script stylus since I bought it. I was hoping an update would fix the issue, but this update is not it.

Hi Kenny,

I'm sorry to hear that you're not seeing any improvement with your stylus. Please try adjusting your wrist position setting and possibly try a new battery in the stylus.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Chuck

Thank you for your reply, Chuck. I did have the correct wrist position selected in the settings and a new battery. Perhaps I am a bit too heavy handed. It's also possible my stylus isn't functioning as it should. I'll try again if another update comes out.

• Level 5

I see a big difference with the updates.  I'm going to try taking notes "live" in a meeting again. Before, that was impossible and comical.

I still find that on my iPad Air 2 the stylus works much better in Penultimate when the iPad is in landscape orientation than in portrait orientation. I don't know why there's a difference.

Thanks for the updates!

Peter

Hi Peter,

I'm glad to hear that you're seeing the improvements we've been working on. Please let us know how it works for you in "live" meetings.

I haven't noticed the difference in landscape orientation, but you may try adjusting your wrist position setting to see if that helps.

Cheers,

Chuck

• Level 5

The Jot Script is still not stable and disconnects unexpected. It is still not reacting to certain movements so I am using a poor old rubber tip pen which is much more reliable. Furthermore the zooming with two fingers to swipe is ridiculous. Why can you not just place a zoom symbol on top to make it easy. May be replace the Jot Script symbol with a zoom symbol since the expensive bluetooth pen does not work anyhow...... :rolleyes:

Hi Steff,

I'm sorry to hear about your stylus disconnecting unexpectedly. We've noticed this behavior when the battery is low, so you may want to try a new battery.

Can you please let us know what certain movements are not being recognized?

Thanks,

Chuck

• Level 5

Sadly, this update has not improved inking with my Jot Script. The problem with the palm being recognized is still prevalent. I have not been able to use my Jot Script stylus since I bought it. I was hoping an update would fix the issue, but this update is not it.

Hi Kenny,

I'm sorry to hear that you're not seeing any improvement with your stylus. Please try adjusting your wrist position setting and possibly try a new battery in the stylus.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Chuck

I see a big difference with the updates.  I'm going to try taking notes "live" in a meeting again. Before, that was impossible and comical.

I still find that on my iPad Air 2 the stylus works much better in Penultimate when the iPad is in landscape orientation than in portrait orientation. I don't know why there's a difference.

Thanks for the updates!

Peter

The Jot Script is still not stable and disconnects unexpected. It is still not reacting to certain movements so I am using a poor old rubber tip pen which is much more reliable. Furthermore the zooming with two fingers to swipe is ridiculous. Why can you not just place a zoom symbol on top to make it easy. May be replace the Jot Script symbol with a zoom symbol since the expensive bluetooth pen does not work anyhow...... :rolleyes:

This is so* much better! I just recently purchased the Jot Script and I was having a lot of difficulties and waiting for an update to see if it would get better.. and you guys have delivered! Thank you so much, you have such great programs!

Archived