Half of my note is gone ! Error on line at column...

I wrote 70 paragraphs. Important material for school. All I know that after few days the note started to show a red box with:
Error on  line at column. After the app restart I saw that over half of my note is gone  :o

Now i can see only 30 paragraphs. All time mashine backups of this note are corrupted because of that bug. 

Any way to get it back? It's few days of my work. I have the backup, but without images. 

Evernote Mac 6.0.3 / non - AppStore. 

• Level 5*

Hi - sorry to hear about your issue;  do you remember any more about the error details?  It was obviously important.  If it meant that your note wasn't being synced,  then I'm afraid that you may have lost that work.  If it was being synced,  then check via a browser at Evernote.com to see how much of your note made it there.

Check the Trash notebook on your Mac,  and for any 'conflicting changes' notebooks. on Mac and Web.  If you want to exhaust every possibility you could upgrade to a Premium account for a month or two and see whether the Note History for that note has any saved information.  Other than that though,  if you can't see the note contents,  then they're probably gone.  It is important - especially when doing so much work - to make sure that you sync successfully and often,  and definitely at the completion each session.

Trash is empty, don't see conflict changes notebook. Same thing on the web. 
The error:

This page contains the following errors: error on line 57 at column 1243; PCDATA invalid Char value 1Below is a rendering of the page up to the first error. 

I sync all the time  when doing so much work. I don't want to pay for a premium - i have a backup and this is the first problem like that with Evernote. 

• Level 5*

The important phrase in my comment was "sync successfully" - ie no errors.  The PCDATA error is indicating a bad XML entry - whether that was due to the note content or some local glitch is unclear,  but there is another thread where a couple of folks have had similar problems.  I'd suggest that you all follow the support link in my signature and select the 'bug / crash / data loss' drop-down to submit your details to Evernote.

If you have a backup of at least some of your note,  that's commendable - but there's very little chance of getting any additional information back from your system or from Evernote.  To remain safe in future,  really,  really follow up on any errors that you see,  and where this one arises,  copy and paste your content somewhere else until you find the cause.  I've had something similar happen when I have copied code containing characters that Evernote recognised.  IIRC I solved that one by using a JPG of the contentious bit rather than characters.

• 1 month later...

I have come across the same issue. Last quarter of my note is gone and Evernote complains about:

'error on line 25 at column 47163: PCDATA invalid Char vvalue 16'

Has anyone found out what is causing this? 

• Level 5*

I have come across the same issue. Last quarter of my note is gone and Evernote complains about:

'error on line 25 at column 47163: PCDATA invalid Char vvalue 16'

Has anyone found out what is causing this? 

Hi - looks like your note contained something to which Evernote objected - a bit of rogue code,  or an invalid character.  Have you looked for your note on another device or via the web?  When did this error message pop up?  As part of a normal sync?  When saving a note?  More detail would be useful...

I am not sure what activity or operation may have caused this. I didn't edit the document in the hours before I noticed this problem. The document contains only text, some of it formatted in bold, some bullet points and a few URLs (which all appear in the 'good' part of the note). The note is in an unsynchronised (offline) notebook. I am on OS X Yosemite (10.10.1). Evernote 6.0.5 (from the AppStore). Does this provide you with any hints as to what the problem might be?

I am bit concerned that something like this could happen to my other notes. Do you know if there is a good (reliable, contains all your notebooks, notes, tags, easy to recover) way to backup your EN notes other than exporting each notebook manually?

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same error message "...PCData invalid Character..." , and lost half my note for the day.  I was making preparations to go down the Time Machine route by saving the previous days note (the one with the error), and the current days note via left click File > Export Note in HTML.  To my surprise, the HTML save file contained all the Note content I thought I lost.  It was a simple matter to copy the HTML file content back into a new Note, and relabel it like the original. 

That sure is easier.  Hope it works for the next person!  I have Evernote version 6.0.5, and running OS X version 10.8.5.

• 1 month later...

I got this too, lost an hour of work. I could export the note but 90% of it was gone.

Lesson learned. When "something better" than Evernote comes along, as it eventually must, I'll consider switching. 

• Level 5*

Working online is inherently uncertain - I added a few paragraphs of text to a web form earlier (not Evernote related) and managed to fat-finger a screen refresh which then wouldn't allow me to step back or Ctrl-Z to the content I just created.  Bad things happen.

• 1 month later...

This happened to me too.  I opened a note from yesterday in Mac client, typed in about 30 characters, and then saw a few moments later (perhaps after sync) that most of my note was gone.  Evernote 6.0.8 on OS X 10.10.3 (Yosemite latest).  iOS 7.7.1 client on iPhone renders same note fine so appears to be a problem in the Mac client.   If a bad character was injected, it would also have been injected by the Mac client.

The posts say to go to support link in gazumped's signature, but it lists only a link for BOINC.  If details are provided as to where to best submit, I will probably submit later today.  Perhaps the normal support link submit bug/crash/suggestion for Premium users?  It wouldn't help non-Premium.

Possibly this arose from network corruption of byte values, but with some simple hash computations and retry-on-hash-fail the odds against that would be incredible.  (Run MD5 or SHA2 and they would be 1 in 2^128 or 2^160 respectively.  Run them both and I estimate odds are lower than 2^200 = 10^60 which are sufficiently low odds that cryptographers consider them impossible in practice last I heard.  These particular hashes may be too slow and therefore too expensive for large notes since a modern CPU can only do hundreds of megabytes per second, but could at least be used for text notes and there might be something more powerful than the current one that can could still be used for binary notes.  Doing it on large notes could be another service for Premium users.)

In my case I was able to resurrect from Note History and then remake my change, since it was recent and short enough I could replicate it from memory.

• Level 5*

Hi.  If you have an issue to raise,  the link is here > https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action  - if you're a premium or Business user,  you'll also have access to a Chat option (7am-7pm weekdays,  PST)

(I did have that link in my sig for a while,  but decided to streamline the content and cut the it back to BOINC only.  Sorry if that meant earlier posts were confusing...)

• 2 months later...

As I just wrote in a similar thread, I got this same error today in a note that was in a local notebook. I exported the note as HTML and then I was able to open that exported file (in a browser) and the entire note was there, albeit without formatting.

I also moved the problem note to a regular (not local) folder (where the error still showed), then moved it back to a different local folder and that, too, somehow worked and I got the whole note back, with formatting.

I hope one of those works for you.

• 1 month later...

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, BigBill. I had the same problem and your solution saved me tons of work. One possible cause for the errors may be related to copy and paste of rich text or HTML text directly to your note.  A safer solution may be to copy content to a plain text editor like TextEdit which strips all the stuff added to the text, then paste the plain text into your note. It's an extra step but could save some grief down the road. 

Archived