Work chat turn it off

On Windows desktop the Work Chat icons can be hidden... no harm, no foul. Those icons cannot be hidden as of yet on Mobile devices. That's basically the deal. 

You should still be able to share via email on all platforms... except on mobile devices it's not as prominent as the Work Chat icon. If you're on iOS, for example, you would:

• tap on the 3 dots at the bottom right of the note (iPhone)/ top right (iPad)
  • > Share
  • > Mail

That should do the trick. 

On Windows desktop, you can click on the arrow to the right of the Work Chat icon next to the information icon at the header of a note... that will also give you the option to share via email (or copy the share URL). You can achieve a similar thing by right clicking on any note in the note list to access the context menu.

Also, you can share notebooks via email privately too... or create a public link. 

Other users would have to chime in if you're using other clients... but basically, the old sharing options are still there. Not as visible as the Work Chat option, though. 

I see how to share a note via email, but not a notebook (either from Windows or Android).  I really dislike Work Chat.  I really like that Evernote is forcing this down our throats.  I have lost so much time trying to disable this feature.  I have not seen any positive responses to this yet.  I hope Evernote gets the message and makes this optional for the people who might want to use this, and they allow the rest of us to go back to the way we want to use Evernote.

The only time you need to use work chat is if you are inviting a user to join a notebook. In this instance, the recipient MUST be an Evernote user (there is no way to share notebooks privately with non-Evernote users, and there never has been. You have on,y ever been able to share a notebook PUBLICLY with non-Evernote users, and this is still possible)), and therefore will simply receive the invite via work chat rather than by email.

Thanks for your reply.  When I first tried to share this notebook (in Windows).  It went to Work Chat.  After I entered my message and clicked Send, nothing happened.  I tried this numerous times, and was never able to get it to send the message.  No response from Work Chat as to what the problem was.  It was very frustrating.  After wasting much of the morning, I finally tried to share the notebook using the Android app, and I was able to send the invite that way.

Yep... Evernote has done a lot of rewiring to the recent Windows update (if that's what you've got). It used to be that when you right clicked on a notebook and chose "Share notebook" from the context menu, you'd get a nice little popup menu to either publish (public notebook) or share via email...

Now, the public notebook option is still there (publish button)... but now it seems that the only way to share something privately would be through Work Chat. This would mean that the person you wanted to share a notebook with would have to have an Evernote account.

Previously, someone would also have had to have an Evernote account to join a notebook, whether "public" or "shared". The shared notebook via email would also have had other options, such as edit, edit and invite and view only. It seems like the same now in Work Chat. I'm not really sure whether the dynamic really changes much here - so that Work Chat is just the vehicle through which to do the sharing and if we wanted we could leave the rest out. I'm still trying yo figure things out. It does seem forced, though. 

Yep... Evernote has done a lot of rewiring to the recent Windows update (if that's what you've got). It used to be that when you right clicked on a notebook and chose "Share notebook" from the context menu, you'd get a nice little popup menu to either publish (public notebook) or share via email...

Now, the public notebook option is still there (publish button)... but now it seems that the only way to share something privately would be through Work Chat. This would mean that the person you wanted to share a notebook with would have to have an Evernote account.

Previously, someone would also have had to have an Evernote account to join a notebook, whether "public" or "shared". The shared notebook via email would also have had other options, such as edit, edit and invite and view only. It seems like the same now in Work Chat. I'm not really sure whether the dynamic really changes much here - so that Work Chat is just the vehicle through which to do the sharing and if we wanted we could leave the rest out. I'm still trying yo figure things out. It does seem forced, though. 

As of Nov. 30, 2014 it appears that public links to BUSINESS notebooks are no longer possible, even using the right-click-publish button. At the moment, you can still create a public link to a PERSONAL notebook using right-click-publish, then hit the PUBLISH (NOT the share) button. 

I don't mind the work chat but it would be nice if they were able to separate it based on either the notebook or note and not just the individual. This would allow a conversation to be attached specifically to either note/notebook and kept for future reference.

Also, an indication (colour change, star) or something for notes that have been changed by others would be useful. I know there is the activity log but it's not immediately visible which means you're forced to check it regularly. 

Just my $0.02.

Could some from EN like GBarry or Charboyd, et al, please confirm if this is the case?

No, it doesn't personally affect me, but I'm sure those with Business accounts would like to know.

As of Nov. 30, 2014 it appears that public links to BUSINESS notebooks are no longer possible, even using the right-click-publish button. At the moment, you can still create a public link to a PERSONAL notebook using right-click-publish, then hit the PUBLISH (NOT the share) button.

• 3 months later...

Could some from EN like GBarry or Charboyd, et al, please confirm if this is the case?

No, it doesn't personally affect me, but I'm sure those with Business accounts would like to know.

Sad to see this discussion ignored by EN.

Public links to business notebooks never existed as far as I can recall.  I just confirmed this with the old version of the web client.  Here are the allowed operations which we haven't changed but may have moved depending on the client.

Personal notebooks

- share with individuals

- publish via a public link - anyone with the link can access the notebook via the web

Business notebooks

share with individuals

publish to the business - any member of the Evernote Business can access, browse and join the notebook

Archived