5.7.1 Update - Opening Notes causes app to crash

severdia

Idea

I updated to 5.7.1 today and now Evernote won't show any notes. I can open Evernote and click on the Notebooks in the left column to see all those. But the moment I click on a note, it crashes. Also, if I tried to sign out, it crashes. Since I logged in via a web browser and everything is intact, I tried to "reset" by deleting Evernote and all of its files. But it looks like I might not have gotten them all (I searched around but didn't find anything outlining the location of all Evernote files).

How can I basically nuke my installation and redownload everything to create a new installation/setup? Or is there another way?

Here's what it looks like. Looks like Evernote is a mess in Yosemite.

evernotebug.png

28 replies to this idea

I've already tried this several times, but I just tried it again following your steps and it still didn't work. I also updated to 5.7.2 and that didn't make a difference. All of my notebooks are synchronized so I have no local notebooks. I can't log out or quit the application without force-quitting it either so that doesn't seem to be a database issue. Sent the new crash logs.

One of our developers took a look at the crash log and it looks like something is wrong with your prefs.  Can you try deleting them?  Using terminal, type: defaults delete com.evernote.Evernote

This is probably why the crash is so rare.  It looks like the cash has something to do with your preference settings for the note list.

My issue has now been resolved as of today with the 6.0.1 update. It would have been nice of Evernote support let me know there was an update in the works and to hold out a week (or three). Even if you're a premium member, it doesn't get you anywhere with Evernote support so if you're wondering whether or not you should upgrade, don't do it because you think you'll get better/faster support. I sent 5 emails to support and didn't get a single response. I had to go on the support chat and the person I chatted with didn't know anything (or at least they said that). Pretty sad.

I bet Jamie Hyneman and Adam Savage get awesome support though. But they're probably the only ones.

Same experience. EN has crashed a total of 5 times now. Each time I've deleted all files and reinstalled.  It is fine for a few days, and then it crashes again. The latest crash, today, was while I was downloading the latest version. And, as you said, NO HELP from EN support. I'll try it ONE MORE TIME!

My issue has now been resolved as of today with the 6.0.1 update. It would have been nice of Evernote support let me know there was an update in the works and to hold out a week (or three). Even if you're a premium member, it doesn't get you anywhere with Evernote support so if you're wondering whether or not you should upgrade, don't do it because you think you'll get better/faster support. I sent 5 emails to support and didn't get a single response. I had to go on the support chat and the person I chatted with didn't know anything (or at least they said that). Pretty sad.

I bet Jamie Hyneman and Adam Savage get awesome support though. But they're probably the only ones.

• Level 5*

FYI, AppZapper does NOT remove all the Evernote files. You can't search for them on the Mac because contents of the Library folders are filtered out of search unless you explicitly go to those folders and search within them.

I'm sorry to hear that AppZapper doesn't include the hidden files in the Library folder.  I use it and recommend it because it was recommended by Evernote.  I checked on the AppZapper web site, but I was unable to confirm how they handle hidden files.  I sent their support a email asking about this, and will post back here when they reply.

Meanwhile, I did some searching, and came up with AppDelete.  It is recommend on the MacUpdate site and is highly rated (4.5/5 stars).  On the developers web site it states "Finds associated items that are invisible or hidden".  If anyone has used AppDelete, please let us know.

Yes on the "chat" comment above. That ultimately was what it took from me yesterday to get eyeballs on my open ticket, that I assume led to the follow-up email comments a few hours ago that I posted above (I am also a premium member).

• Level 5*

Took about five days for me to get a response a few weeks ago (also a premium member). Once I did, they were very gracious and helpful. For premium folks, a more immediate means of access is via the chat, but I think that that's only during business hours, California time.

FYI, AppZapper does NOT remove all the Evernote files. You can't search for them on the Mac because contents of the Library folders are filtered out of search unless you explicitly go to those folders and search within them.

I've sent several messages to support over the course of this week and not a single response.  Not even "We're working on it." Nothing. Not a great way to treat PREMIUM members.

For what I think are the same symptoms as the ones posted in this thread, I have been waiting for a response from a service ticket I opened on Saturday. Earlier this afternoon, I received the below response on that ticket.

(Later today I plan to do another revo-uninstall and install an earlier version, Evernote_5.6.4.4632, which I found in the Evernote/AutoUpdate folder):

"Thank you for your patience. I appreciate you taking the time to work with me as we work through this. This is a bug that the engineering team is currently working on. I’m not sure when the issue will be resolved.

I’m going to close your ticket. I will let you know when there is an update to fix this crash. I encourage you to continue updating Evernote as new versions are released. Please keep checking the product forum (https://discussion.evernote.com/forum/126-evernote/) for the latest betas and releases."

At some point after upgrading to Yosemite, Evernote 5.7.1 started crashing on startup.

I deleted everything I could find under ~/Library with name *Evernote* (find ~/Library -name "*Evernote*" -exec rm -rf {} \;" and no joy. I deleted my defaults (defaults delete com.evernote.Evernote) and still no better.

I then deleted Evernote with AppZapper which not only removed the App but also some Preferences I hadn't found earlier and then installed Evernote 5.7.2.

Everything's coming up Millhouse.

Looks like it might have been related to the Preferences either alone or in combination with the other items I removed.

• Level 5*

I've already tried this several times, but I just tried it again following your steps and it still didn't work. I also updated to 5.7.2 and that didn't make a difference. All of my notebooks are synchronized so I have no local notebooks. I can't log out or quit the application without force-quitting it either so that doesn't seem to be a database issue. Sent the new crash logs.

One of our developers took a look at the crash log and it looks like something is wrong with your prefs.  Can you try deleting them?  Using terminal, type: defaults delete com.evernote.Evernote

This is probably why the crash is so rare.  It looks like the cash has something to do with your preference settings for the note list.

Markus, does the uninstaller AppZapper remove these preferences?  I had been told previously that it does.

• Level 5*

Marcus is right -- if you have any LOCAL Notebooks, you must EXPORT them to ENEX before renaming or moving the Evernote folder/database.  Here's the detailed procedure:

How to Completely Remove and Reinstall EN Mac

1. Export to ENEX files any Local NBs that you may have
  2. Backup the entire Evernote data folder (as shown in Step #3)
  3. Completely uninstall EN Mac App and data
  4. Download the latest EN Mac app from the Evernote.com web site
  5. Install the latest EN Mac App
  6. Allow it to sync (download in this case) all of your Notes from the EN Cloud.
  7. IF you had any Local NBs, import into this new install

Severdia, I was able to find your crash report.  Thanks.  It's really rare.  In looking at the crash, I'm not sure why it's crashing.  There's really no difference between 5.7 and 5.7.1 so I don't think downgrading will help at all.  It's possible you have a database corruption and it may help to delete the database. I realize you tried this already but can you try it again.  Deleting one's database usually fixes these issues and I'm surprised it didn't.

1) You can get to the database file by going to the About Box and then holding the Option Key.  You'll see an Open database folder link.  Click on this.

2) You're finder should launch and you should see a folder identified with numbers. If you have multiple accounts you'll see multiple folders.  Look for the one that was updated most recently.

3) Quit Evernote and the Evernote Helper in the menubar.

4) Drag it to your desktop or some place outside of this folder to back it up.  If you don't have a folder in this spot, Evernote thinks you've deleted your database and will rebuild your database from scratch.

5) Relaunch Evernote.  It should now start downloading all of your notes and hopefully work without crashing.

Basically one's database can get corrupted.  It doesn't happen very often but when it happens the app will crash.  One of the great benefits of having everything stored in the cloud is that you can easily recover.  I hope this fixes your issue.  Let me know what happens.

IMPORTANT: I should point out that if you have locally stored notes you have to be very careful about deleting your database because your notes aren't stored in the cloud.  You'll have to reimport them after re-downloading everything from your backup files so be very careful and it might be best to chat with support before doing this.

Severdia, Do you get a crash dialog when you launch Evernote again?  If you do, please add your name (severdia) and an email address so I can find your crash log.   That would be most helpful. Unfortunately the activity log isn't showing me a lot about why you're crashing.  Ideally try this tomorrow on 11/6 so I can fid it easier.

• Level 5*

How to Completely Remove and Reinstall EN Mac

1. Export to ENEX files any Local NBs that you may have
  2. Backup the entire Evernote data folder (as shown in Step #3)
  3. Completely uninstall EN Mac App and data
  4. Download the latest EN Mac app from the Evernote.com web site
  5. Install the latest EN Mac App
  6. Allow it to sync (download in this case) all of your Notes from the EN Cloud.
  7. IF you had any Local NBs, import into this new install

Archived