Users and BAFFLED

Zystem

Been on computers for 30 years.

Am totally BAFFLED by Evernote.

Started an account.   Noticed you could 'Add a User'.  Tried to do that.   Screen said only Premium users.  So I signed up for a premium account, fortunately for only 1 month.

Then I tried to 'add a user'.   Was told the user 'did not exist'.   Hunted around the site to find out how to set up a new user.  Nothing.  Zilch.  Zero.

Went into the help section - adding users not even MENTIONED!

Looking around the features of Evernote, looking at the features Premium give you - users not even MENTIONED!

Weird, beyond weird.

Wondered if you set up a user just by adding another email address.   Set up a new email account in Gmail.   Tried adding it to Evernote. Told me the password was incorrect.  But I hadn't even set up the user as a new user with a password, so that was baffling as well.   So I thought, okay, I'll try logging in with a different email account but use the password for the main account.   Didn't work.  Told it 'wasn't connecting to the server'.   

What on EARTH is the process for adding a user when you have a premium account?????????????????  

No information anywhere, it's as if the feature doesn't exist.  And yet my credit card payment went through in a jiffy!   I'm only relieved I wisely opted to try it out with a month for £4 rather than opting for the discounted annual rate.  

Can ANYONE enlighten me???

• Level 5*

Adding a User is only if you juggle multiple Evernote accounts. It lets you quickly flip between them so you can use both (or more) on one computer. For example, a Work account and a Personal account. I do believe (though I can be wrong) that you can flip through as many Premium accounts as you please, but only one Free account. That's probably why you got the "Need Premium" message.

Thanks Chimer.

My issue was not that I got a 'Need Premium' message. 

My issue is that I signed up to a premium account and then could find NO way of creating a new user.  How do you do it?

At present I have my original free account, have paid to convert it into a premium account but have no idea whatsoever how on earth to create a new user.  For the reasons outlined in my post above.

Many thanks.

Thanks Chimer.

My issue was not that I got a 'Need Premium' message. 

My issue is that I signed up to a premium account and then could find NO way of creating a new user.  How do you do it?

At present I have my original free account, have paid to convert it into a premium account but have no idea whatsoever how on earth to create a new user.  For the reasons outlined in my post above.

Many thanks.

Although the word used is 'user', as Chirmer said, it's for switching between two accounts. Each account would need to be already set up. So set up your second account (if you really do need one) in the same way you set up the first one. Then you can switch between the two.

To 

Metrodon.

I need multiple accounts because my life involves huge, multiple projects.    I want one account for stuff related to my computer and one account for stuff related to my financial work and another related to my personal life and another related to my cat rescue work.

I want separate log-ins so that all the notebooks are related to one area of interest.

Of course, this issue could be solved if there could be a full nested folder system in Evernote.  But as I see it, you can only go one level down.  (And yes, I do know how to build stacks.)

Thanks 

BurgersNFries

I need further clarification, please.

I assumed, as anyone would, that buying a premium account would enable one to set up multiple users.  Exactly as it says in the Evernote program.   

"With Evernote Premium you can switch and manage multiple users."

As far as I'm concerned, an account is either free or paid.   But if I make it a paid account, as I have, by turning into Premium, then according to what is quoted above, I can have several different users to organise my information into, effectively, separate libraries.

Are you saying that I need to pay multiple times, for each account??

So, if I have

computer

personal

cats

financial

I can't switch between them, without paying for each one separately?

I have to say I hold Evernote in very low regard, so far, for the abysmal lack of information on this issue.  Am astounded that I was able to spend my money on a feature, then find no information on it whatsoever anywhere in the program itself or on their website.  I've spent ages today trying to suss this out.  

This is appalling.

Please do clarify my point.  I'd be so grateful.   I can set up another account.  But having logged into a different gmail account and calling up Evernote, I'm now stuck.  Do I set the account up as free - bearing in mind I have converted my main account into a Premium?  Or am I expected to pay 4 times for the mere privilege of switching between 'users'??

Thanks.

Thanks 

BurgersNFries

I need further clarification, please.

I assumed, as anyone would, that buying a premium account would enable one to set up multiple users.  Exactly as it says in the Evernote program.   

"With Evernote Premium you can switch and manage multiple users."

As far as I'm concerned, an account is either free or paid.   But if I make it a paid account, as I have, by turning into Premium, then according to what is quoted above, I can have several different users to organise my information into, effectively, separate libraries.

Are you saying that I need to pay multiple times, for each account??

So, if I have

computer

personal

cats

financial

I can't switch between them, without paying for each one separately?

I have to say I hold Evernote in very low regard, so far, for the abysmal lack of information on this issue.  Am astounded that I was able to spend my money on a feature, then find no information on it whatsoever anywhere in the program itself or on their website.  I've spent ages today trying to suss this out.  

This is appalling.

Please do clarify my point.  I'd be so grateful.   I can set up another account.  But having logged into a different gmail account and calling up Evernote, I'm now stuck.  Do I set the account up as free - bearing in mind I have converted my main account into a Premium?  Or am I expected to pay 4 times for the mere privilege of switching between 'users'??

Thanks.

First, tags, stacks, descriptive titles & keywords are the recommended way to use Evernote. There is plenty of discussion on this vs sub/nested notebooks already on the board. Please use the search function.

Second, if you use tags, stacks, descriptive titles & keywords, there's a really good chance you only need one account that includes your notes for computer, cats, personal & financial rather than an account for each one of those topics.  Again, plenty of discussion on this topic already on the board.

Third, yes, if you have multiple accounts & want them all to be premium, you must pay for each one. Nothing wrong with that, that I can see.

It sounds like you really need to play with Evernote more & peruse the board to see how others are using it before you start trying to make it fit the way you think it should work and before you start condemning it.

Good luck.

• Level 5*

OK, so I agree with BnF but if you really want to dive straight in then you can set up multiple accounts, the easiest way to do it is at Evernote.com, one at a time.

Then once, you have all your accounts up and running you can set them up on whichever client you are using.

It's really not difficult, given your extensive and many years of computers and massive projects I suggest you slow down and just read the screen. I managed to set up a second account very easily and without needing documentation or a youtube video.

• Level 5*

You're the first person I've ever seen approach Evernote in this regard, heh. It never enters most people's minds to have an account for each area of their life. Sure, a work and a personal, but one for your cats? Whaaa?

Evernote's meant to be your external brain. One account to hold everything you could ever need to reference or keep track of. I'd suggest you try to make each area of your life a Notebook, but what happens when you have a receipt for a vet visit? It would fit in both the Cat and the Finance notebooks. So, my suggestion is -- dump it all in Evernote, and use Tags to organize it. Tag receipts as "finance", "cat", and maybe whatever card or payment method you used. Tag manuals as "manual", "television", etc. Just give it a whirl, dump it all in there, Tag it properly, and throw your trust to the wind. Though, learning the Search Grammar's also really helpful.

Having an account for each area of your life is going to severely limit Evernote's use. It's not like emails, where email clients support multiple accounts because it's the nature of the beast. Swapping between Evernote accounts isn't ideal, especially when stuff fits in multiple places. It's generally a best practice (though there are always exceptions) to have one account and find an organization method that works for you. I'm a huge advocate of Tags, but there are people with tens of thousands of notes who rely on search alone and get by just fine. It's all about what works best for your brain -- except that it really is better to have as few accounts as you can.

Like Chirmer, this is the first I have ever heard of someone wanting so many accounts purely for the purposes of organizing. At most, I know a number of people who have a separate work account and a personal account, primarily for privacy rather than organizational reasons. 

I for one, manage

1) a bunch of household related content which I share with my partner, 

2) Work related stuff, which is a combination of work projects (academic research) and teaching

3) Personal stuff 

in a single account, which works rather well. 

That being said, if you think separating "contexts" by using multiple accounts, it is certainly workable, if a bit complex. 

As others have noted, the means to do this would be to create all of your accounts at www.evernote.com, then enter their credentials in the Evernote App so you can switch between them easily. Only one account needs to be premium to enable this type of switching. 

Zystem, I just wanted to jump in and add one small point. I agree that having seperate accounts for every single aspect of your life is probably too much, but I can see how it would be beneficial to have one account devoted soley to your cat rescue agency.

Like any other non-profit, it is in fact a business type organization. My personal advice - which really doesn't count for beans...

Archived