Sort Checklists?

I have an ongoing To Do checklist in Evernote.  However it bothers me that I can't sort the checklist so that completed (checked) items are at the bottom and incomplete (unchecked) items are at the top. Any ideas?

• Level 5*

Given the lack of specific question, and the fact that I had just read two posts that asked why Evernote doesn't provide the same function that Word evidently does, that was the only idea I had on the topic.

One note per item of the checklist.

Each note of the checklist with the same tag (ex my_checklist)

Use search : tag:my_checklist todo:true, or tag:my_checklist todo:false for filtering notes.

You can save this searches if you need to.

• Level 5*

SebR,

To Jeff's point, OP lacks specificity, but it sounds like all items in a note, which isn't going to get sorted other than manually if using EN.

Not sure how I wasn't specific.  I have items in a checklist - some are checked (completed) and some are unchecked (not yet completed).  I simply want to sort the checklist so that the unchecked items are all at the top of the list and the checked items are at the bottom.  Even colornote (basic app) can do this simple function.  Not sure how to be more specific.

Not sure how I wasn't specific.  I have items in a checklist - some are checked (completed) and some are unchecked (not yet completed).  I simply want to sort the checklist so that the unchecked items are all at the top of the list and the checked items are at the bottom.  Even colornote (basic app) can do this simple function.  Not sure how to be more specific.

Evernote appears unable to do this. I could only speculate as to why this might be the case (technically challenging/impossible? perhaps they just choose not to implement this....)

For straight-up to-do lists, I personally use a straight-up to-do list application (in my case, Wunderlist).

• Level 5*

The only question asked, "Any ideas?" wasn't specific, no.

Anyways, no Evernote client that I know of can do this, nor any in-note sorting at all. Remember that a note may contain any number of items, including images, attachments, etc, and that it's structured (think HTML), and then you'd need to consider that there's no identifiable item as a checklist in an Evernote note anyways; a note would need to be scanned to pull out the individual to-do items (which may be separated by non todo list sorta of stuff, or organized into a multi-level bullet list, and don't forget that you can have multiple checkboxes on a line), sort them and stuff them back into their corresponding spots without mucking up anything else. This isn't impossible, but it's not trivial either, somewhat ill-defined with regards to user expectations, and fraught with all those little complications that might give Evernote pause in terms of adding that functionality.

All of this is speculation, mind, but just looking at it from outside the Evernote bubble with my developer's eyes...

• Level 5*

I guess it was the "Any ideas" question.  Ideas for alternative ways in Evernote, ideas as to how to get EN management to modify the product, ideas as to alternative products to accomplish the same process, ideas at to how not to be bothered by it?    :) 

So ideas were presented as to how you could accomplish the task in Evernote but without the simplicity you want, your call as to if it is worth it to you or not.  Also the idea of using another product which has what you want.

• 2 months later...

I am a new user and have been impressed by many of the features of EN unfortunately without the ability to sort or drop down checked boxes or prioritize checklists I will be unable to switch my company to EN at least for todo lists and we would really like to consolidate all notes into one program.  Is there any news on this feature being added? Looking at the volume of posts regarding this subject it would be much appreciated. 

• Level 5*

The volume of posts may or may not matter. There are other feature requests that have more (native Linux client, Markdown, nestable notebooks, etc, etc) that haven't been implemented in some number of years. And Evernote doesn't usually release feature roadmaps. Evernote isn't really a full-blown to-do list program as it stands; there are some things that may work well for individual users (or groups). If you want sortability, you can do one to-do item per note, in which case you can also attach a reminder date (read "Due date") to the note. If you want a way to keep track of a number of these to-do notes, then you can collect them all together and make a Table of Contents note from the collection.

Thanks, Jeff.  I think what R Fiagro and I are saying, though, is that we don't want to keep one set of lists (to-do) in one program (ie, Todoist) and all other lists in Evernote.  It would be nice for Evernote to have a better to do list funcionality.  It's not efficient to keep one note per to do list item. I think you'd gain a lot more users if you added this functionality.  Thank you.

• Level 5*

Thanks, Jeff.  I think what R Fiagro and I are saying, though, is that we don't want to keep one set of lists (to-do) in one program (ie, Todoist) and all other lists in Evernote.  It would be nice for Evernote to have a better to do list funcionality.  It's not efficient to keep one note per to do list item. I think you'd gain a lot more users if you added this functionality.  Thank you.

(note: I am not an Evernote employee)

Sure, I understand what you want. It's kind of natural, but they don't seem to want to go there, at least at this time, and that's understandable, too. For lightweight task management, it has some nice functionality, at least to me: I use it every day at work. I don't know about efficiency; one note per task actually works pretty well for me: I can track time, make notes, add screen clips to the note, etc. without cluttering up the main task list. But I understand that this may not scale up to a full-fledged business-ready task management system.

• 1 month later...

Nimbulist for iPhone did accomplish this by granting it access to your Evernote account, and tagging the relevant notes in Evernote with Nimbulist. It was quite buggy, so I dismissed it for a year or two, but tested it again now on the iPhone and it does work. It will sync, get all notes with the Nimbulist tag, and as soon as you check something, it sorts that list and syncs it back to Evernote.

Nimbulist for iPhone did accomplish this by granting it access to your Evernote account, and tagging the relevant notes in Evernote with Nimbulist. It was quite buggy, so I dismissed it for a year or two, but tested it again now on the iPhone and it does work. It will sync, get all notes with the Nimbulist tag, and as soon as you check something, it sorts that list and syncs it back to Evernote.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to tinker with Nimbulist. BTW, Swipes integrates with Evernote and pulls out the checkboxes in notes you point their application to - either by tagging or a couple of other methods. They're on iOS, Android and Web. 

EDIT: I don't see Nimbulist in the app store. Neither the US nor the Brazilian app store. Are they still up and running? Did you recently download the app or did you just have it tucked away on your iPhone for some time?

Archived