Organising tags

jamesctaylor

Idea

Recently I've been assigning a lot of tags haphazardly and now need to get them organised. My interaction with tags, at least in the latest version of Evernote on Mac, has been limited to assigning tags within a note and searching for tags via search.

So, I'm struggling to work out how to view and organise tags. In the sidebar I can view all of my tags and can delete tags (but, it seems, cannot rename them).

In the main tag window I can search for a tag, but I cannot work out how to display all of my tags in that nice large window in order to organise them. When I first open that window, it appears that a rather random (it doesn't appear to be based on tag usage) selection of my tags is displayed, alphabetised. How do I display and organise all of my tags there?

Thanks!

4 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi

Tag support in any Evernote client is currently pretty basic.  There's no way to move the display around other than by "stacking" which allows you to show parent and child tags to classify your categories,  or alphabetise them - your choice.  To get a more general idea of usage you can go to View > Left Panel in desktop Evernote and click the 'Tags' heading - the next page scrolls right if you have lots of tags.  Or you can look at MohioMaps (see the App Center below) which will analyse your notes graphically and had recently added a tags feature.

• Level 5*

Recently I've been assigning a lot of tags haphazardly and now need to get them organised. My interaction with tags, at least in the latest version of Evernote on Mac, has been limited to assigning tags within a note and searching for tags via search.

So, I'm struggling to work out how to view and organise tags. In the sidebar I can view all of my tags and can delete tags (but, it seems, cannot rename them).

In the main tag window I can search for a tag, but I cannot work out how to display all of my tags in that nice large window in order to organise them. When I first open that window, it appears that a rather random (it doesn't appear to be based on tag usage) selection of my tags is displayed, alphabetised. How do I display and organise all of my tags there?

Thanks!

Evernote really make Tag management much more difficult starting with Ver 5.  The current UI does not work well if you have more than 80-100 Tags.

Prior to Ver 5, you could right-click on any Tag in the Sidebar, and Delete, Rename, or Create New sub-Tag.  Now you can only Delete in the Sidebar.

You have to click on the Tags icon/button in the Sidebar to display all Tags in the main window (where Note content is usually displayed).  Here you can rename a Tag.  At the top of this main window, you should see buttons to sort by either Tag Name, or Note Count.  By default it displays by Tag Name.

Archived