Updates: how to know what it changes before updating?

pleasemakeitwork

Idea

EN update: how can I find out what it changes before I get it? EN follows the accepted practice of software developers by first describing a new release's highlights and then by using the phrase "various bug fixes" to scoop up the other changes. That is the way in which the tech world operates, and so be it. But, the term "various bug fixes" is opaque (not in the Quinean sense) because it depends on the EN author's undeclared definition of the terms "bug" and "fix".

Is there an EN source that will tell me what, from a user's perspective, a release changes?

Previous EN updates were released (some slithered out of the lab, prompting EN's apology) bearing no warning of changes made to certain functionalities that are important to me, changes so drastic that some basic taken-for-granted functions on which I had come to rely (such as tag view and add a tag) were degraded to useless for me. Had EN warned me, I never would have upgraded.

I asked Support this question and they told me that EN bars EN Support from helping me, and that EN does so by baring Support from access to such information, and, therefore, Support told me, I would just have to take the leap of faith while hoping for the best, or skip the upgrade and take the leap of faith at a later time.

I am not asking about the coding details, none of which my background permits me to understand. All that I care about is how en works for me.

Ironically, of course, my question's key term "works for me" is unique to me, and, therefore, it is just as opaque as the term "bug fixes".

So, how should I phrase questions (and to whom should I address them) such as:

Does this update change the tag view text font color to something other than what it is now?

Does this update change the tag line in a note so that it fails to wrap, thus making it impossible to show more than just a few of the existing tags?

Does this update shrink the space allotted to tag names in the add tag view to render as "recipe a" all tags recipe apple, recipe aardvark etc?

To generalize: What if anything does this release change regarding ..... [how narrowly need I fill in this blank in order to get a helpful response?]

Thanks.

I realize that in any software update there are user winners and user losers. I am looking for a way to preview the bin in which EN has determined that I will live.

5 replies to this idea

To whom in en can I pose these questions? Asking the forum is a bit like playing the game go fish

Does it change this?

Does it change x?

Does it change x + (x + 1)?

If support cannot address your specific question & it's not addressed in the release information, you will need to rely on the two methods Scott mentioned.

• Level 5

To generalize: What if anything does this release change regarding ..... [how narrowly need I fill in this blank in order to get a helpful response?]

Thanks.

I realize that in any software update there are user winners and user losers. I am looking for a way to preview the bin in which EN has determined that I will live.

You bring up a great point. More information would be helpful before making the leap. 

I have found it safer to sit on the sidelines for at least 2 months and watch the forum for comments about the Public Version updates. I'll let the Beta users and Early Adopter users test the waters first. 

thanks jeben. I too pour beeswax into my ears to protect myself from the Siren songs of the EN releases" non-desrciption description "various bug fixes".  I will, as always, wait for the next whole number release and then see what this Forum and other sources say about it.  I wish that EN would do more for its loyal, fee paying, users, but industry practice does not change over night. Or perhaps ever. But my $60 should buy me more advance information than what the freebie users get.

Archived