import/export notes

ankur_a

Idea

I use Evernote mac client, am I right in assuming the correct way to backup my notes is

1. copy this folder to an external drive:

/Users/<name>/Library/Application Support/Evernote/accounts/Evernote/<account name>/content/

2. export notes and copy the .enex to external drive:

Lets say down the line I buy a new mac and want to restore my notes, the options I have will be

1. from my account/cloud - no, because I use client version which only stores locally (not in the cloud)

2. from my above backup folder - just copying that folder to correct location

3. by importing the .enex

Ideally, I want to use the backup folder as I rsync periodically and then I dont have to keep exporting the current copy periodically.

Also, the monthly limit of 60M - is it the limit for newly added notes each month or the net total?

Thanks!

4 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

I think everyone should back up their data. There isn't a single cloud service that I'm aware of that hasn't lost data at some point.

(Plus the OP is using local notebooks only).

Personally, I back up the whole Evernote folder.

I think everyone should back up their data. There isn't a single cloud service that I'm aware of that hasn't lost data at some point.

+1.  Excellent advice.

Fwiw, I clone my system drive every day, and leap-frog back-up drives every week.  That's in addition to a Time Capsule.

• Level 5

I agree completely with the importance of personal back ups.

My data is too valuable to trust to the cloud.

I use a 2 location backup system - 1.) locally stored backups, 2.) off-site backups (Carbonite)

The Evernote cloud could be considered an additional backup, but it takes too long to pull down for a full restore.

Archived