problem searching in note

I'm having an issue searching on both my Windows Desktop client and in the web interface. When I search for a term (I'm searching for the name "Carroll"), I get notes in the results list that don't seem to have that name. When I highlight the note, press control-F, and then type in the search box "Carroll", I am told "No Matches Found". Any idea why this is happening?

I'm having an issue searching on both my Windows Desktop client and in the web interface. When I search for a term (I'm searching for the name "Carroll"), I get notes in the results list that don't seem to have that name. When I highlight the note, press control-F, and then type in the search box "Carroll", I am told "No Matches Found". Any idea why this is happening?

If these notes contain images, it could be b/c the OCR'ing of the image comes up with a match for Carroll.  Indexing images produces a tree of possibilities. IOW, an image with the word 'house' may show up when searching on 'horse'.

• Level 5*

Do your phantom hits have pictures in them?  It's possible that Evernote OCR'd the content and thinks that one word looks as though it might be "carroll".  Depending on how many correct and phantom hits you have,  this is a situation where I'd start to add tags so I can search tag:carroll next time and just get the valid hits.

• Level 5*

Does one of these notes have "Carroll" in the title, or as the start of a tag? Normal text search also searches tags and titles, but Ctrl+F won't find them is they're in the note body. It's also possible that that text exists in the note, but is somehow hidden via HTML, so it can't be shown. You could investigate this by exporting one of these notes to Evernote format, and then loading the resultant .enex file into a text editor and looking for the mysterious search string.

• Level 5*

The OCR case is interesting : if it's found via normal search, it will be highlighted in the note if you scroll though it using the scroll bars without actually clicking your mouse in the note, but Ctrl+F won't locate to it.

• Level 5*

Thanks for all the suggestions! But:

The notes have no images.

The tags and titles don't have "Carroll" in them.

It's not HTML - I typed these notes directly; nothing is copy-and-pasted.

Any more ideas?

Hi. Could you post a screenshot (in a shared note, for example)? I think we could help out a lot more then.

hi,

I have been suffer this kind of integrity search result since very early beginning I used evernote . 

Web / Windows never ever have same result if your database is a bit large ( mine 53G)

All I have to do is, I don't trust the  evernote OCR , it is hardly to got exact text for user to search

so my way are

1. transfer picture into PDF file

2.use "finder reader" ABBYY professional OCR to trans the image file into text file.(or searchable PDF)

(if you check what  the OCR doing , you will realize it still need to correct it manually) basically current PDF file will remain the original "image" for you to read and "text ; after OCR" in back-ground for search.

What you see on PDF reader is not same as "text "model  PDF

most of time the error is "additional space"  for instance  the PDF show "apple"

but after transfer to "searchable PDF"

it could be "a  p  P  l  e"

so if you do not correct it ? you never ever can find it (if just type the key word "apple")

For English, most of time the  OCR / search result is acceptable (but not correct)

For "Chinese" , trust me you never ever think it is reliable if you just rely evernote OCR!!!

I have been reply this kind of questions almost one year to evernote supporter

and now I give up and use the way I mentioned above

that is ========>    (OCR ---- Do it by yourself)

even I did it by myself , I still will search twice through web / windows to confirm the result

• Level 5*

I got 33 "Carroll" hits in my notes,  with a few ghosts on handwritten additions - apparently "called" and "caldicot" look enough like the keyword in my writing,  and another note has "cashlines" and is signed (by someone else) as "Catherine",  so one or the other might have tripped the search gnomes.  A few others have lots of pages and I can;t be bothered to run separate searches..

As I inferred previously;  it may take a lot more effort to find the underlying issue - which may not be fixable even if it is found - than to simply accept that no system is perfect.  See CJ's post above.

I'd suggest again that you simply tag either the correct hits,  or the false positives,  so you can get to your required information (and/r exclude the noise) as quickly as possible.

• Level 5*

Thanks for all the suggestions! But:

The notes have no images.

The tags and titles don't have "Carroll" in them.

It's not HTML - I typed these notes directly; nothing is copy-and-pasted.

Any more ideas?

Find a note that exhibits the problem.

Export it to Evernote format.

Open up the resultant .enex file in a text editor.

Look for the text "Carrol". See if there's something special about it.

Report back here.

I found the problem. I had attached a PDF with the word "Carroll" in it. Can't believe I overlooked that! :(

Sorry, but thanks to everyone for the help. I've never posted a question here before and I'm impressed with the rapid and helpful responses!

Archived