Sharing my birthday

I realise that these forums are probably implemented using 3rd party software, but is there any chance of being able to store just my birth YEAR in my profile?

That way, my age can be estimated (albeit with occasional rounding error) without disclosing data that could be used in ID theft. A colleague suffered ID theft, but the perpetrator was apprehended. It had been possible because a prescription item had been labelled with full D-o-B, and the empty box had been found in the wheelie bin... So, I try never to divulge my full date of birth.

I don't mind people knowing that I'm 63 (old enough to have that sense of pride from having such a large number). I do, however, usually describe myself as "Nearer to 60 than I am to 50".

Oh, if anyone rises to the challenge of finding my actual D-o-B, you'll find it easily enough. It's published somewhere on the web.

I realise that these forums are probably implemented using 3rd party software, but is there any chance of being able to store just my birth YEAR in my profile?

That way, my age can be estimated (albeit with occasional rounding error) without disclosing data that could be used in ID theft. A colleague suffered ID theft, but the perpetrator was apprehended. It had been possible because a prescription item had been labelled with full D-o-B, and the empty box had been found in the wheelie bin... So, I try never to divulge my full date of birth.

I don't mind people knowing that I'm 63 (old enough to have that sense of pride from having such a large number). I do, however, usually describe myself as "Nearer to 60 than I am to 50".

Oh, if anyone rises to the challenge of finding my actual D-o-B, you'll find it easily enough. It's published somewhere on the web.

I'd suggest not entering your birthdate at all.  Then in your title, put something like "nearer to 60 than I am to 50", if you wish.  However, I think you have to have a certain number of posts to change your title & I don't recall how many posts you need.  But I wouldn't suggest posting to the board simply to up your number of posts to do this, since it's really non-essential info.

I thought I knew the number of posts (450) but I think I might be wrong. It was mid November when I asked and the answer was relative. At that time I needed 60 more posts. I don't think I could have posted enough make 450 be the right number.

• Level 5

I would think the "About Me" section of the profile would be a reasonable place it could be put. But if needed alongside any post, there's also the signature area without having to wait for a post count.

FWIW, I made the same feature request to the forum admin GBarry.  

But indeed, it's a 3rd pary tool with it's own limits.

As you've seen you can put month day without a year, but not the other way around.

• Level 5

Benefit? You get to feel the love of a full inbox of automated birthday greetings from the forum software.  Which you can mine for all the ancient forums you subscribed to and forgot about.

Different times now.

Ideally the visibility would be controlled.  Most likely don't want the month day visible.

• Level 5

On public forums, I either avoid entering the info, or I go with January 1.

I end up with a lot of Happy New Year / Happy Birthday greetings but it sidesteps revealing personal data.

Archived