(Archived) (Archived) Unhappy with Android Interface

sgandy

I thought the iOS version was wonky but since switching to a very capable Android device it is now unusable. Every single time I touch the interface on the Android device to EDIT a note, it screws up... Just now I added one line of text to my daily journal and it destroyed the formatting for 4 months worth of notes. I'm looking for a replacement.

• Level 5*

I thought the iOS version was wonky but since switching to a very capable Android device it is now unusable. Every single time I touch the interface on the Android device to EDIT a note, it screws up... Just now I added one line of text to my daily journal and it destroyed the formatting for 4 months worth of notes. I'm looking for a replacement.

Hi - welcome to the forums and I'm sorry to note you're having a bad experience.  It doesn't seem to be the norm - I'm on Android myself and generally a happy tapper.  If you can give us some more background on your issue it would be useful for the developers to help avoid anyone else sharing your experience,  and you never know,  we might be able to suggest a fix for the problem,  or a workaround that helps you out.  No obligation - obviously - and if you prefer to expend your energy finding another solution,  that's also fine.  

Welcome to the club. The Andriod editor is pretty buggy and has been for quite a while.

They keep adding new features to Evernote but fixing the basics appears to be just too boring. Must be a bunch of young software engineers here.

Any kind of interesting formatting will likely fail when you try to edit it on an Android anything including the latest Nexus.

Don't use blank lines to separate list blocks. It sometimes works but I end up fixing it later on the PC.

Don't expect to edit in the middle of a bold or underlined sentence and have the new letters be bold or underlined, sigh.

Don't use indentation or even spaces at the begining of a line

Don't get angry when it suddenly decides to take out all the spaces between a few words. Just fix it later on your PC/MAC.

Save notes often because if you do a number of changes to a note, it will sometimes fail with a Java error, when you save it and you will loose ALL your edits.

Just tonight my Nexus will not load my most important note. It just says to retry. I have resynced, shut down and restarted. Shows up on all my other devices...

If you format a note like below ('x' represents a check box) and then try to add a task after task 2, it will delete the blank line and add a check box to "Day 2".

I really like to format my weekly task list in this way, but I end up having to fix the formatting constantly.

I just avoid editing notes on Andriod and just check tasks off.

I really wish they would fix the editor! This tool has so much potential, but... (and yes, I have premium)

Day 1

x  task 1

x  task 2

Day 2

x  task 3

x  task 4

File bug reports from the Support page.

We (including me!) should start submitting formal bug reports on all the Android editor issues.

I have posted to the forum but not actually submitted bugs.

I am sure the developers are busy adding new fun features, so reading the forum is probably not high priority.

Bug reports carry more weight to the sustaining staff.

I am off to vacation tomorrow but will try to post some specific bug reports while I am off work.

I suggest that others do as well. Submit a bug report for each issue, don't combine them.

Hi I've experienced the same problem just tonight. I was out doing my Christmas shopping. I had a note containing a list of presents for my wife. There was a bit of formatting in it - bold text in some places and check boxes (as one might expect in a shopping list!). I went to edit the note on my Galaxy S3 and all of a sudden all of the check boxes had gone and the formatting was all messed up.

I've never experienced this before but I found it really frustrating. I've already logged a support request. You would think that getting basic functionality right would take priority over changing the icons for things like the camera...

• Level 5*

Note: Refactoring is not a magic bullet. Truthfully, not being familiar with the code, I don't know what the actual best approach is. But as a user, if it helps, then I'd welcome the improvement...

• 2 weeks later...

We've started some deep refactoring work on the editor, and hopefully the experience will keep improving in the next releases. 

Feel free to join the beta program if you want to get the latest updates. 

Well I've had griefs over the text editor on android for years and still do. Recently I got an iphone, and I'm surprised to see that this evernote on ios seems to work a lot better. Exactly the same note: a pain to edit on android, easy to edit on IOS. Can I suggest you guys get some ideas from the IOS developers?

Archived