(Archived) No more offline edit notes for Premium users

enki

Hi folks,  I just have a chat with Evernote support becouse with the new vers of EN, I'm never sure that the pics I add to a new note or to a existing note will be saved inside the note. Remember to check every time you take notes with images or edit notes and add images, that EN save the note in the right way. 

So, my workflow is:i take notes with my iphone 4s offline (becouse i'm in roaming) all day long, notes with a lot of pics...set remainders and in the evening I sync EN wifi. I never have problems with the EN's previous ver. , but only with the last. So i call via chat the EN's assistance and they told me to unistall and reinstall EN. I did it and after one day i have the same issue. So I call again the EN's assistance and they told me that, "The application is not designed for you to add notes when you are offline" !!!l 

I'm sorry to hear that the new evernote don't work offline anymore. 

Till last week it works ... I allways edited lots of my offline (save on my iphone) or new notes...edit/add pics/ add remanders /edit in skitch... and at the end of the day i synced  them via wifi (becouse a lot of data). 

I think that I can have the same issue even if i'm online...

I understand a lot of EN's issues like camera page did't work....no remainders button on the first page....no sync symbol on the notes...no dictionary... I can survive without this till the first update, but  i can't live without the possibility to take offline notes.

My HTC One has a note app (pre-installed) that sync with a private EN notebook. You can take photos, record audio and text of course. Now I know I can create notes being offline and app uploads whenever it gets connected. My point is you can do this with third parties apps. Also your second chance might be roaming fees suppressed by EU 1st of July 2014... Good luck anyway.

• 1 month later...

My HTC One has a note app (pre-installed) that sync with a private EN notebook. You can take photos, record audio and text of course. Now I know I can create notes being offline and app uploads whenever it gets connected. My point is you can do this with third parties apps. Also your second chance might be roaming fees suppressed by EU 1st of July 2014... Good luck anyway.

Which app are you using for this? How reliable is it?

• Level 5*

Hi folks, I just have a chat with Evernote support becouse with the new vers of EN, I'm never sure that the pics I add to a new note or to a existing note will be saved inside the note. Remember to check every time you take notes with images or edit notes and add images, that EN save the note in the right way.

So, my workflow is:i take notes with my iphone 4s offline (becouse i'm in roaming) all day long, notes with a lot of pics...set remainders and in the evening I sync EN wifi. I never have problems with the EN's previous ver. , but only with the last. So i call via chat the EN's assistance and they told me to unistall and reinstall EN. I did it and after one day i have the same issue. So I call again the EN's assistance and they told me that, "The application is not designed for you to add notes when you are offline" !!!l

I'm sorry to hear that the new evernote don't work offline anymore.

Till last week it works ... I allways edited lots of my offline (save on my iphone) or new notes...edit/add pics/ add remanders /edit in skitch... and at the end of the day i synced them via wifi (becouse a lot of data).

I think that I can have the same issue even if i'm online...

I understand a lot of EN's issues like camera page did't work....no remainders button on the first page....no sync symbol on the notes...no dictionary... I can survive without this till the first update, but i can't live without the possibility to take offline notes.

I think there is a misunderstanding somewhere. The Evernote app is definitely designed for offline use. In fact, that is my primary usage of the app. Both Premium and Free users can create notes offline to be synced later. If you are planning to do a lot of notes, important notes, or notes over a long period of time, I recommend making sure that you have copies of photos in your camera roll (iOS) and that you copy/paste the contents of notes into other apps.

Of course, you "shouldn't" have to do all of this replication of work, but frankly speaking, iOS is poorly structured for offline use (I am talking about the operating system, not Evernote) and there are few protections in place for users. I am sure there are people who disagree with me, but as an example, when was the last time you lost data from a crashed program on the desktop (Windows or Mac)? For many of us, it is very rare, or we have to think back several years, because we have backup systems and so forth in place. iOS (for any app) is inherently unstable in this regard. It is designed with the assumption that things will work correctly, and pretends that things don't go wrong. Most of the time, it's OK, and there aren't problems, but having your data copied to other apps will give you a little more peace of mind just in case. My point is that we have to work a little differently on mobile than we do on the desktops, especially if we are working offline.

Anyhow, back to Evernote. This should not be happening. Please post your support ticket number here (if you have one -- it sounds like you might only have chat records). If you don't have a ticket number, please start a ticket (see the link in my signature below).

Hi, GrumpyMonkey and thank you very much for answer. You are right, maybe it was a missunderstanding about that EN is not designed to use it offline... I use it everyday off line and sync after. It is true that i never had this kind of issues with the previous version of EN and ios. I think that you are right when you tell that ios 7 introduce a lot of new problems.

I think that the problem is how EN use the phone'memory. I have some signals....when i'm typing and the characters apears after one or more seconds, is time to restart my I phone. If i shot a picture in EN with camera or page camera and the picture don't apear in my note i have to restart my iphone. The only active app on my iphone is Evernote during the job. I take 10 notes a day with 4/5 pictures each one and some adnotations. Also I set reminders for my GTD system. Sometime i open a old note and add a new pictures and evernote "dead" everytime, i have to restart the iphone :( During the day (10 hours) I'm offline and sync in the evening. I don't think that is a ultra hard job for EN in offline mode.

So is true, the problems are also from EN and IOS 7 :(

No, I don't have a ticket number. It was only two chat sesions.

I wish that EN solve this issues as soon as is possibile...I'm losing a lot of time to shot notes now. I'm sorry that i recomanded EN to a few of my coleagues...and now they tease me.

• Level 5

I think there is a misunderstanding somewhere. The Evernote app is definitely designed for offline use. In fact, that is my primary usage of the app. Both Premium and Free users can create notes offline to be synced later. If you are planning to do a lot of notes, important notes, or notes over a long period of time, I recommend making sure that you have copies of photos in your camera roll (iOS) and that you copy/paste the contents of notes into other apps.

Of course, you "shouldn't" have to do all of this replication of work, but frankly speaking, iOS is poorly structured for offline use (I am talking about the operating system, not Evernote) and there are few protections in place for users. I am sure there are people who disagree with me, but as an example, when was the last time you lost data from a crashed program on the desktop (Windows or Mac)? For many of us, it is very rare, or we have to think back several years, because we have backup systems and so forth in place. iOS (for any app) is inherently unstable in this regard. It is designed with the assumption that things will work correctly, and pretends that things don't go wrong. Most of the time, it's OK, and there aren't problems, but having your data copied to other apps will give you a little more peace of mind just in case. My point is that we have to work a little differently on mobile than we do on the desktops, especially if we are working offline.

Anyhow, back to Evernote. This should not be happening. Please post your support ticket number here (if you have one -- it sounds like you might only have chat records). If you don't have a ticket number, please start a ticket (see the link in my signature below).

I am actually very confused lately. Before the new iOS 7 version and Evernote 5 on Windows I was very happy with Evernote. I never experienced an issue with data loss, sync problems etc. The iOS app crashed once in a while, yes, but not as often as now. I now see more and more posts about such problems on all platforms not just iOS. It is easy to blame this on the OS but I think there might be another reason for these problems. I am not convinced any more that my data is safe and I am not talking about the NSA but about the integrity of my data. Is the infrastructure Evernote uses really capable of handling the data of 70 million users? The fact that sync problems and data loss occure especially when new upgrades are released implicates that it might be at its limit. I will now start to put together an exit plan to ensure that I will not completely rely on Evernote. I would like to believe that Evernotes slogan about a 100 years company becomes true but who knows.
  • Level 5*

I am actually very confused lately. Before the new iOS 7 version and Evernote 5 on Windows I was very happy with Evernote. I never experienced an issue with data loss, sync problems etc. The iOS app crashed once in a while, yes, but not as often as now. I now see more and more posts about such problems on all platforms not just iOS. It is easy to blame this on the OS but I think there might be another reason for these problems. I am not convinced any more that my data is safe and I am not talking about the NSA but about the integrity of my data. Is the infrastructure Evernote uses really capable of handling the data of 70 million users? The fact that sync problems and data loss occure especially when new upgrades are released implicates that it might be at its limit. I will now start to put together an exit plan to ensure that I will not completely rely on Evernote. I would like to believe that Evernotes slogan about a 100 years company becomes true but who knows.

Yes, you probably should have an exit strategy in place. That's pretty much good old common sense.

Some perspective: I haven't seen the Android client crashing at all, and the Windows client only a couple of times, in recent memory (and I track the beta releases). There are other folks reporting crashes on these platforms, though.

For some insights into the Evernote infrastructure, you might be interested in some of the articles in Evernote's Tech Blog, the Overview section in particular: http://blog.evernote.com/tech/category/overview/

• Level 5*

Hi, GrumpyMonkey and thank you very much for answer. You are right, maybe it was a missunderstanding about that EN is not designed to use it offline... I use it everyday off line and sync after. It is true that i never had this kind of issues with the previous version of EN and ios. I think that you are right when you tell that ios 7 introduce a lot of new problems.

I think that the problem is how EN use the phone'memory. I have some signals....when i'm typing and the characters apears after one or more seconds, is time to restart my I phone. If i shot a picture in EN with camera or page camera and the picture don't apear in my note i have to restart my iphone. The only active app on my iphone is Evernote during the job. I take 10 notes a day with 4/5 pictures each one and some adnotations. Also I set reminders for my GTD system. Sometime i open a old note and add a new pictures and evernote "dead" everytime, i have to restart the iphone :( During the day (10 hours) I'm offline and sync in the evening. I don't think that is a ultra hard job for EN in offline mode.

So is true, the problems are also from EN and IOS 7 :(

No, I don't have a ticket number. It was only two chat sesions.

I wish that EN solve this issues as soon as is possibile...I'm losing a lot of time to shot notes now. I'm sorry that i recomanded EN to a few of my coleagues...and now they tease me.

This sounds very frustrating, and I am sorry to hear about the problems. I hope you will contact support and make sure this gets recorded, because I think the developers could use the data in order to improve the app.

Archived