Viewing attachments in Evernote Mac

simply_steph

Idea

I have several questions about attachments in the latest version for Mac. I also use the Windows version (4.6.1) at work so I see the different features.

1. When attaching PDFs, is there any way on the Mac to apply the "view as attachment" to all at once rather than individually?

2. Also, while the Windows version seems to show me the full file name on the attachment icon, the Mac version shows a bunch of graphics within the icon and truncates the actual name of the file. Is there hopefully a setting somewhere to show the full name? Or maybe to change the font size and trick it into showing more?

3. Lastly, when viewing notes in snippet view on Windows it shows me a count of how many attachments are on each note. I can't seem to find a similar view to see all attachment counts on Mac. Does it exist? (And I know about viewing info on an individual note - that's not what I'm looking for.)

Thanks!

18 replies to this idea

But once you get many heavy pdf into EN, it becomes slow to manipulate, right ?

My EN is 160 Mb and it still works quite fast. I use Mac Mini with 8 Mb Ram, purchased 2011

I wonder at what size it will slow down.

Personally, I recommend folks set up their accounts so that they can enjoy the app (whatever one they are using), but can also get out of it and move into another one as painlessly as possible if the need arises. One way to do this is to store only one PDF per note. This solves some of the problems with having a bunch of inline attachments cluttering the view as well making it easy to move your data into another app that might not excel at holding multiple PDFs inside a single note-like container the same way that Evernote does

Gumpy - I agree

The principle is

store one pdf per note, inline view only,  and not more than 2 pages pdf.

This way I can find my files quickly.  I allow about 500 notes. If they are getting more, it is time to clean up either by merging or by just trashing.

What if I wanted all my pdf in EN exported to a folder on my Mac. How would you do ?

• Level 5*

I'd echo what Scott said and say that you probably don't want to worry too much about scalability until you hit a point at which you experience trouble. You can decide then how to handle the issue. In my case, I textified all of my PDFs. This solved some problems, but didn't help with others.

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=551

In general, I would say that Evernote works fine with hundreds of PDFs, and it isn't until you get into the thousands or tens of thousands that you might run into trouble. That probably has as much to do with the density of the text content that needs to be indexed and searched as it does with the file format or size. Or, maybe not. It's difficult to say, because we don't have access to the diagnostic data we'd need to identify the causes of problems, and even if we did, the app could change again tomorrow with the next update.

Personally, I recommend folks set up their accounts so that they can enjoy the app (whatever one they are using), but can also get out of it and move into another one as painlessly as possible if the need arises. One way to do this is to store only one PDF per note. This solves some of the problems with having a bunch of inline attachments cluttering the view as well making it easy to move your data into another app that might not excel at holding multiple PDFs inside a single note-like container the same way that Evernote does.

eBooks is just an example of a heavy pdf

What i mean is that heavy pdf are not suitable for saving in EN (and you agreed)

I didn't exactly agree. I don't see any problem storing large PDFs in Evernote. The reason I don't, is because all of the large PDFs I use are related to work that I don't keep in Evernote. This is unrelated to the size of the PDF and entirely related to the context in which the PDF is used. 

If I had large PDFs related to work I did do in Evernote, I'd not hesitate to put them in there. In fact, I might have a few large PDFs of instruction manuals for household devices... 

So the answer is:

I do not agree with the statement that "Evernote is not suited to storing large PDFs".

do agree with the statement that "I do not have a need to store large PDFs in Evernote even though it is possible". 

But the reality is, everyone has different needs, different workflows, etc. While Evernote can store large PDFs, perhaps it doesn't work for a particular workflow in which case just having that ability isn't helpful to that specific user. Ultimately, and as I stated above, 

To answer your question "what is the point of saving ebooks in EN?" The answer is that everyone has different needs. While neither you nor I want or need to store eBooks in Evernote, there may be some reason someone else does.

#3  Simply: Why would someone want to place sveral pdf files in the same note as attachments, they are difficult to search !

You would need to open each of them to see the search results

THat is tedious.

eBooks is just an example of a heavy pdf

What i mean is that heavy pdf are not suitable for saving in EN (and you agreed)

What else is EN not suitable for ?

I would not write long texts f ex writing an Essay if it is more than 2-3 pages

You cannot make drawings in EN, it has a v limitted formatting etc

But it is v good to gather small pieces of information, letters, short notes etc

After a while, when reviewing all this information, I start to reorganise all that into projects or libraries

Reorganising is easy in EN and that is one feature which I often use

It is no good idea to save heavy pdf in EN

I only save pdf that contain just two pages, no more.

And they are never attachments but inline so I can see them immediately, no hassle with clickings

Heavy pdf such as ebooks are saved as usual in Finder

What is the point to save ebooks in EN ??

Not sure where you are getting "eBooks" from, as it hasn't been mentioned up until your post here. 

I do not keep large PDFs in Evernote either, but it is unrelated to eBooks. Mostly they are kept elsewhere because they relate to work that I do not use Evernote for, I used a different application. 

To answer your question "what is the point of saving ebooks in EN?" The answer is that everyone has different needs. While neither you nor I want or need to store eBooks in Evernote, there may be some reason someone else does. 

It is no good idea to save heavy pdf in EN

I only save pdf that contain just two pages, no more.

And they are never attachments but inline so I can see them immediately, no hassle with clickings

Heavy pdf such as ebooks are saved as usual in Finder

What is the point to save ebooks in EN ??

But once you get many heavy pdf into EN, it becomes slow to manipulate, right ?

My EN is 160 Mb and it still works quite fast. I use Mac Mini with 8 Mb Ram, purchased 2011

I wonder at what size it will slow down.

There's a lot of debate about when, to what extent, and due to what factors, Evernote databases slow down. Some people never experience the issue. 

My Evernote database is about 4gb and I have no issues with Evernote. That being said, it pales in comparison to the size of my DEVONThink databases, which, combined, exceed 10gb, and which is where I keep the vast majority of my PDFs. 

All of this runs just fine on my rMBP with 8gb of ram.

While I don't use Evernote quite as heavily as I once did, even during my heaviest usage when my database exceeded 5gb, I didn't really experience too much sluggishness. 

Don't worry about sluggishness until you notice it. 

I do not see any point to show pdf as attachmennt.

I can have it inline open with no need to click.

Usually I attach pdf with just 2-3 pages

If there are more pages than I save the pdf as a separate file in a folder in Finder, not in EN

I think the point is so that there are people who prefer the opposite to your preference. I have a lot of longer PDFs that I don't want to see inline. Unlike you, saving those PDFs to finder is not an acceptable solution to me. Being able to view them "as attachment" is much appreciated. Moreover, there are some PDFs I prefer to be viewable in-line. So, I am grateful that users have the choice, since I make use of both settings. 

Cheers

I do not see any point to show pdf as attachmennt.

I can have it inline open with no need to click.

Usually I attach pdf with just 2-3 pages

If there are more pages than I save the pdf as a separate file in a folder in Finder, not in EN

Question: How do I change the way EN shows pdf in my note? (I have found the 'view newly clipped PDFs and office documents: As Attachments' setting. I'm looking for other settings.)

I have a similar need to Vesa.

I use Evernote (on Mac) to annotate PDFs and I let Evernote include the annotation summary in the PDF. It would help tremendously to either:

a) have an option to show first page of the document, or

B) for the file attachment to show and indicator whenever the document was annotated,

otherwise in a list of say 10 documents it is very difficult to find my annotations and impractical to show all of them inline.

Anyone else needing the same?

I do not believe there is a way to display only one page of a PDF in Evernote. Your choices are:

1) The entire PDF, inline

2) An attachment icon which displays no pages (but which you can use Quicklook on to view and scroll through the PDF contents without opening it entirely). 

To change the view for any given attachment, right-click on the attachment and select "View as attachment" or "View Inline".

I think the closest thing you are going to get to the Windows behaviour is to "View as attachment" and use Quicklook whenever you want to view the PDF contents in a quick way. 

Hope you don't mind me asking a related question in this thread. It is in line with the topic heading.

I'm running the latest version of EN (5.5.2) on Mac.

Question: How do I change the way EN shows pdf in my note? (I have found the 'view newly clipped PDFs and office documents: As Attachments' setting. I'm looking for other settings.)

Example case.

I have a note with: text - pdf - text

So there is text before and after the attached pdf. The problem is that EN shows ALL the pages of the pdf file IN THE NOTE. So if I want to see the text below the pdf file I have to scroll all the way down to reach it. In my windows version of EN I see just the first page of the pdf with arrows to change the pages etc. 

Question: How do I achieve this similar behaviour on my Mac?

• Level 5

#2. I'm not finding that to be the case, though wish it would be.  Attaching a screenshot.

My mistake. Attachments take up the whole width of the editor when viewed inline, but are much smaller when viewed as attachments. I'll pass on your request for more space for the name.

• Level 5

1. When attaching PDFs, is there any way on the Mac to apply the "view as attachment" to all at once rather than individually?

2. Also, while the Windows version seems to show me the full file name on the attachment icon, the Mac version shows a bunch of graphics within the icon and truncates the actual name of the file. Is there hopefully a setting somewhere to show the full name? Or maybe to change the font size and trick it into showing more?

3. Lastly, when viewing notes in snippet view on Windows it shows me a count of how many attachments are on each note. I can't seem to find a similar view to see all attachment counts on Mac. Does it exist? (And I know about viewing info on an individual note - that's not what I'm looking for.)

1. Preferences->Clipping->By default, view newly clipped PDFs and office documents: As Attachments

2. The entire width of the editor window should be available for the file name. If your filename is longer than this, you can mouse over the pdf icon and the full name will be displayed in the tooltip.

3. I don't know of any way to do this.

Archived