(Archived) "Sync Notes" option greyed out / disabled on Android

Dennis Moul

I upgraded my Sprint Epic 4G to Android 4.1 Jelly Bean (via Cyanogenmod 10.0), and when I installed Evernote, I couldn't get automatic syncing to work. The "Sync Notes" and "Sync Frequency" options were greyed out/disabled and not selectable. Under the "sync notes" option was the description "cannot modify when device master sync is disabled." 

It turns out that there is a phone-wide "sync toggle" that can suppress syncing for ALL apps, and if that is set to off (which is the default in Android 4.1 I think) then Evernote will not autosync no matter what. You have to enable the master Android sync option, then the "Sync Notes" and "Sync Frequency" options become available and you can do what you want.

To turn the sync toggle back to on, go to Settings->Data Usage->(menu button) and select the "Auto-sync data" option.

Alternatively, you can expose the Sync Toggle on the notification pulldown via Settings->System->Notification drawer->Widget Buttons->Toggle Sync.Once that setting is changed, pull down the notification bar and swipe left/right on the toggles to find the sync button.

Hopefully this will save someone else some hassle - Google searching the message "cannot modify when device master sync is disabled" was not finding anything useful.

Dennis

• Level 5*

Yeah -- I have a Motorola Razr Maxx HD (boy what a stupid name -- I feel like a dolt just typing it) -- it.s Android 4.1.2 as well, and there's no such setting that I can see. Don't recall anything like that on my Nexus 7 either (Android 4.2).

• 1 month later...

Thanks, Dennis! This is true for the HTC One as well.  

Here's how to fix it for this phone:

Settings>Account & sync> Toggle 'Auto sync' to 'On', then click on Evernote in the drop-down list. 

Click on your account name >  tick next to 'Sync notes'

Go back to the previous page.

Click on 'Sync', which takes you to the Evernote app's sync page. There you can change frequency and if you want to sync via WiFi only. 

I hope this helps anyone else who has the same issue. :)

I upgraded my Sprint Epic 4G to Android 4.1 Jelly Bean (via Cyanogenmod 10.0), and when I installed Evernote, I couldn't get automatic syncing to work. The "Sync Notes" and "Sync Frequency" options were greyed out/disabled and not selectable. Under the "sync notes" option was the description "cannot modify when device master sync is disabled." 

It turns out that there is a phone-wide "sync toggle" that can suppress syncing for ALL apps, and if that is set to off (which is the default in Android 4.1 I think) then Evernote will not autosync no matter what. You have to enable the master Android sync option, then the "Sync Notes" and "Sync Frequency" options become available and you can do what you want.

To turn the sync toggle back to on, go to Settings->Data Usage->(menu button) and select the "Auto-sync data" option.

Alternatively, you can expose the Sync Toggle on the notification pulldown via Settings->System->Notification drawer->Widget Buttons->Toggle Sync.Once that setting is changed, pull down the notification bar and swipe left/right on the toggles to find the sync button.

Hopefully this will save someone else some hassle - Google searching the message "cannot modify when device master sync is disabled" was not finding anything useful.

Dennis

• Level 5*

Settings>Account & sync> Toggle 'Auto sync' to 'On', then click on Evernote in the drop-down list. 

Click on 'Sync', which takes you to the Evernote app's sync page. There you can change frequency and if you want to sync via WiFi only. 

Nice. Thanks.
  • 1 month later...
  • Evernote Expert

Thanks, Dennis! This is true for the HTC One as well.  

Dennis

Thank you. I have a htc one v, and I was facing this sync problem. Thanks for your reply, and god bless the internet and this lovely forum.

• 3 months later...

I on the other hand, WANT to make the app to stop syncing. I deselected the "auto-sync data" option on the settings menu of my android phone, and saw that the "Sync Notes" and "Sync Frequency" options were greyed out (as the first poster says), but the app STILL syncs all my notes to the cloud.

Does anyone know if I can disable syncing from the android app?

• Level 5*

It's not possible to prevent the app from syncing altogether,  because that's its purpose in life.  It's designed to sync the temporary notes stored in the phone with more permanent storage online.  You can delay the app syncing by going to Settings (in Evernote for Android) and Sync and ticking the Wireless Network sync only option,  but that's as good as it gets...

Archived