Easy Feature Request: Simplify Formatting on a Selection

Pyth0n

Idea

Who would enjoy this feature because I know I would: Simplify formatting for just a selection compared to the entire note. Say my note is formatted the way I like it but I past some unformatted text in it. I want to simplify formatting I select and not have it simplify my entire note.

7 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Who would enjoy this feature because I know I would: Simplify formatting for just a selection compared to the entire note. Say my note is formatted the way I like it but I past some unformatted text in it. I want to simplify formatting I select and not have it simplify my entire note.

Hi. This is something I would like to see as well, because I think it would be a nice addition for most people. Not for me, though. I tend to just go for all plain text myself in order to avoid the hassles of formatting. In most cases, unless I am sending the note to someone else, I'm fine without formatting. 

I agree that a "mixed mode" note is possible in my workflow.  I get a clip from a webpage with a certain formating.  I add some raw text  and I then may add a clip from another webpage with different formatting.  Please add a feature that simplifies formatting from a selection and then onward for that note.  

Thank you.

Moved from PC where this was possible.  Doesn't appear to be the same behavior on the Mac.    On the PC I was able to select text, right click and select simplify text on the context menu.    

I came here looking for this, so please make your platform targets behavior match.   Love evernote!  I even drive by you guys each day in Redwood City where I live.

"Moved from PC where this was possible..."

I don't think that's entirely true.  PC has 'simplify formatting' but this appears to be a request for '*selective* simplify formatting'.

I often want to preserve some formatting but need to simplify it in other areas.  In other products, you can generally select the text that you need to simplify, select the command (CTRL-SPACE generally), and the selected text is simplified.  In Evernote, however, the entire note is simplified.

usecase: only some of the formatting is necessary for display or style.

usecase: Evernote was unable to properly copy the formatting from the source document/page so this is a way to correct it (image overlays, etc).

In absence of this feature, I find myself having to use Evernote in conjunction with TextPad, which I use to remove the formatting.  The modification of 'Simplify Formatting' so that it's based on the selected text would be a welcome addition.

Great product, regardless!

• Level 5

I agree this would be nice.

And it will work for simple cases.

But also consider the underlying HTML one might have web clipped.

If you simplify just the middle section of a table or nested DIV tags...

You're also orphaning the opening and closing tags for the content above and below.

Unless you're very savvy and clever about the process.

It's an easy feature to consider at the UI level, but less trivial at the coding/markup level.

I hasn't stopped me requested it as a feature, as I bump into the need semi-frequently.

But I do grok the developers pain.

I tend to get better traction by copying the needed section out to a new note, simplifying it there, and inserting it back.

This feature would be a nice addition, I always copy paste things from the web and it messes all my prior formatting. It should still be able to simplify the whole note but when theres a highlighted selection and you click simplify formatting it should simplify only that selection.

@likeaboss, Thats a good suggestion, thanks for that, though i'd still like to see this feature added. I use shortcut keys to copy/paste and a good tool should enable multiple workflows

Archived