(Archived) Why are non-tagged photos showing up in a search?

Hi, 

We are using Evernote as a photo filing system and tagging photos so staff can easily search through our library. However, when I search for some tags, for example "gate", although the search does show up all the photos tagged as "gate" as expected, it also shows up a photo not tagged as "gate". This note also does not have "gate" written anywhere in the title or in the note itself, so I do not understand why this is happening. 

Can anyone shed some light as to what might be going on? 

Thanks.

Hi Sarah and welcome to the forum,

Can you expand on your information with what version and platform you are using.

Best regards

Chris

• Level 5*

Hi, 

We are using Evernote as a photo filing system and tagging photos so staff can easily search through our library. However, when I search for some tags, for example "gate", although the search does show up all the photos tagged as "gate" as expected, it also shows up a photo not tagged as "gate". This note also does not have "gate" written anywhere in the title or in the note itself, so I do not understand why this is happening. 

Can anyone shed some light as to what might be going on? 

Thanks.

Hi Sarah. Welcome to the forums. Are you searching for tag:gate or just gate? If "gate" only, then it may be that Evernote's OCR is incorrectly reading something in the image as "gate," and that is why it is showing up in the search. I could be wrong! Let us know a little more info :)

As GM said, if your search is on the word gate, the OCR probably thinks the word gate is in the image. If you're using the tags search & the tag contains multiple words, it must be enclosed in quotes. IE:

Tag:"my gate"

Will return only notes tagged with the tag "my gate". OTOH,

tag:my gate

Will return notes tagged with the tag 'my' and that contain the word 'gate'

Thanks everyone, I think that's what has happened - I was just searching in the search bar because I wanted to search both tags and descriptions (as some photos have a short description above them). But if I search tag:gate then it only comes up with results of photos which actually contain a gate. 

But then I guess that means my searches are limited to just tags if I want to be sure the search won't return any incorrect results? 

Thanks  :)

Yep, as GM and BnF said. We probably think there's something in the image that says the word gate. You can tell because we'll try to highlight a box in the image where we think the word gate appears.

If you want to search just for notes tagged gate, you could use tag:gate or tag:"use quotes for tags with multiple words"

You can also click on that tag in the left panel

Archived