SOLUTION TO RECOVER YOUR MISSING NOTES

I'm in med-school, and pretty much all the notes I take are important, so after doing the password reset, I lost all of this week's and last's notes. I did everything the support forum said to do. Yes, I logged in from all my devices with my username and my e-mail address from both, the app and the website. After sending a couple of e-mails to the EN staff, and getting a response the very next day with the same suggestions, I sent my last e-mail and got a life-saving answer from Martin Schoffler. I have so much to thank him. He gave me two options on retrieving my notes, without reassuring me 100% that they would be there. The steps he gave me to follow made me hopeless because I couldn't find my notes, but when I kept on looking just about everywhere (in this software I'll tell you about in a moment) I finally found them. The info was a little off, but I DON'T CARE, Martin gave me the key to finding the notes. So here it goes you guys.

1. Install this program: http://www.macroplant.com/iphoneexplorer/ to your desktop.
  2. Connect your device (iPad, iPhone, whatever) and open up iExplorer. Click continue with demo in the bottom right corner. You'll see this:
  3. https://www.evernote.com/shard/s225/sh/8c9fc864-059d-43e3-9dd3-bac0f311bcf7/6a55e4ff99a634d094089ce37552d0c5
  4. Double click on apps to the left:
  5. https://www.evernote.com/shard/s225/sh/088ac72b-fcd5-4641-a75b-6cc7ec890d5e/e61b976d3d75365aaf8ea56791af84c1
  6. Then go to Evernote > Library > Caches > www.evernote.com > yourusername - check all the folders here for your notes.
  7. Please also check in Evernote > tmp for any files, as they may be located here.

This route didn't work for me, so as I said earlier, I kept on looking and I finally found them under:

1. Apps>Evernote>Documents>www.evernote.com>my username
  2. in my case, I had my username, my e-mail adress, and another e-mail address I had used before as my primary e-mail.
  3. Check all your usernames or e-mails by clicking on the arrow beside your username.

My notes were under a tab titled "Pending". I guess it refers to a pending sync, which obviously never happened. Once you see your notes' preview (on the right) under very weird numeric titles, right click and choose to open with your web browser, then just copy and paste to word, and SAVE YOUR FILES!

I really hope this helps you guys. This saved my life. If you have any doubts, I'm no expert but you can PM me and I'll be glad to help as Martin helped me.

Thank-God for these life-saving softwares.

Good luck!

Jackie

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi I have lost all my notes that I started after March 2013 after resetting my password...I see this was an issue for many people in March... I have tried everything that has already been suggested.. I have an android phone so cannot use the I phone explorer as suggested by Jackie... I  would really appreciate any advice please help!!! 

• 2 months later...

Jackie, you made my entire day. I spent a couple hours talking to a customer and taking notes with Evernote on my iPad. When I sat down to create the proposal, my note was gone. Here's exactly what happened, in case it helps Evernote or someone else:

I logged into Evernote web, the note was not there. Opened Evernote on my iPad. Note was in the Inbox, then quickly disappeared! Went to Trash, the note appeared and then the note's content suddenly disappeared! Logged into Evernote web, note exists but content is gone. I am a Premium user, so I looked at the note history. Only two versions showed up, each of them blank.

Here is where I found my note in iExplorer:

Evernote > Documents > www.evernote.com > [a number, perhaps user ID?] > pending > [long string] > note.html.

I was impatient waiting for a response to my ticket, continued seraching and came across your post. I'll have to reply to the ticket and reference your post. So excited!

Not me. I got completely fxxxed. Totally. I assume the problem is, after putting an axxxoad of notes on my PC, when I opened my iPad, the earlier set of notes there overrode my later set of notes on my PC, and now i am several days behind.

This is the second time that has happened. now I can never, ever, EVER trust Evernote again. Ever. It's worse than a useless piece of sh*t to me. It is something that makes my life demonstrably worse. I will never try working with it again. From now on, I will put my notes in Word, and email them to my other devices. It's a worse system than Evernote touts. But it's safe. because Evernote is not.

F*ck Evernote.

Oh, and by the way?  When I opened up the note where I lost all my changes, there's something at the bottom what says: "Conflicting modification on".  That's it.  That's all it says.  I have no f*cking clue what that's supposed to mean.  But what else should I expect from an untrustworthy piece of sh*t?

There, I scrambled to get it done and it was close, but I retrieved all my notes without Evernote stealing any more of them from me.  I put them in a Word file and backed them up, and now I'm safe, safe from Evernote's nefarious plans to ***** me up.  So go on, Evernote, do your worst!  Take all the rest of my notes from me, i don't care!  Because they're safe, and you can't get to them!  You can't hurt me now!  Ahahahahahaaaaaa!

<g>

I'd second the recommendation to open a ticket--your iPad shouldn't be overwriting your PC, unless you had gone in and edited every single note on the iPad, which is unlikely.  And even then, you would be seeing recorded note conflicts rather than pure overwrites, assuming you had edited the same notes on PC.  An overwrite will only occur if you have actually edited a note.  After submitting a support ticket, I would also take a look at your Evernote Web account to identify what is/isn't available there.  Note History is also available.

Thanks for the replies.  I should note that I was doing these rants more or less for comic effect as well as pressure release, so i appreciate your not going off on me.

Seriously, I don't think opening a ticket is worth it.  In fact, according to the guy in Post #7 of this thread, it's not even a bug:

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/28187-help-old-version-of-note-synced-over-new-one/?p=157223

Apparently, according to this guy who's expert enough to post over 10,000 posts in this forum, you have take some extra step of manually syncing notes from both devices whenever you open the device before updating, or else Evernote will punish you by syncing your older note across all your devices!

I'm not even sure that's what I did, because I did not try to change anything on the other device until finding the part of the note I'd wanted to append.  But even if I did, that's completely asinine.  Evernote should not even allow you to touch a single note when you open it until your device has completely synced up.  Come on, that's Cloud Programming 101 stuff.  There is nothing I should be doing that should cause the earlier version of notes on one device to overwrite the later version of notes on the other device.  That burden should never ever be on the user.

As for note history: I'm supposed to pay Evernote five bucks a month to retrieve my notes when Evernote steals them like this?  Sounds like something akin to a hostage situation.  "Pay me or the note gets it."  Sorry, "note" thanks.

Honestly, because they've programmed their product in this wonky way that forces manual syncing to work right, I'm not sure I can trust Evernote ever again.  And call me an old fogey* if you like, but this is also exactly why I don't keep anything in The Cloud.  Because I never lose a single byte of data until I do.

* Which itself is a term only an old fogey would use.  Mind.  Blown.

That's true, if you open a device and immediately start editing a note prior to a sync down from our main servers, you could end up with a note conflict, assuming you were fast enough.  It's good practice to wait a second while your device pulls down all changes made on other devices before you start making changes on what you're currently using.

Even in the case where you make these changes during a sync, you're likely to end up with a note conflict, which, depending on the client, either produces a duplicate note or appends the conflicting note to the bottom of the same note for comparison.  So even during the sync process you're left with duplicate, rather than lost or removed data, as the app pulls down updated note info from the server.  The fact that you're getting a conflicting note space that is blank means you may have synced up a note with the content removed.

At any rate, I suggest a support ticket and the use of Note History because a support tech could go in and use your Note History to restore the note.  You are correct that it is a premium feautre, but as a precautionary measure we have note histories available on all accounts and a support tech could use that to restore your note (assuming, of course, that the lost note was at some point actually synced to the server).

• Level 5*

That's true, if you open a device and immediately start editing a note prior to a sync down from our main servers, you could end up with a note conflict, assuming you were fast enough.  It's good practice to wait a second while your device pulls down all changes made on other devices before you start making changes on what you're currently using.

GB, that's a great suggestion.  However, in the heat of the battle sometimes we might forget to do this.

Evernote could do us a great service and give us a popup warning IF we try to EDIT a note immediately after opening EN and during a sync.

Maybe you guys have fixed it in this version, but in prior versions I have LOST major changes to a Note (made on EN Mac and sync'd to EN Cloud) PRIOR to the sync being complete on the iPhone/iPad.  I did NOT get a "conflicting changes" notice with both versions retained.  I LOST the Note edited on the Mac.

Thanks.

GB, that's a great suggestion.  However, in the heat of the battle sometimes we might forget to do this.

Evernote could do us a great service and give us a popup warning IF we try to EDIT a note immediately after opening EN and during a sync.

Maybe you guys have fixed it in this version, but in prior versions I have LOST major changes to a Note (made on EN Mac and sync'd to EN Cloud) PRIOR to the sync being complete on the iPhone/iPad.  I did NOT get a "conflicting changes" notice with both versions retained.  I LOST the Note edited on the Mac.

Thanks.

Good suggestions--though I'll say if you experience information loss, that's an issue with our system and should be reported.  We're always working on optimizing our core service, and that includes (probably more so than anything else) syncing. 

Thanks.

Again, it is absolutely crazy that the Evernote app would allow a user edit a note before a full sync is achieved upon opening.  That is a huge design flaw.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This advice was a godsend.

I lost a reasonably long list of films I was working though. Nothing life threatening but 3 years in the making. 

Thanks, you're a legend!

This is the second time a note has just disappeared from right under my nose. I open it, the text comes up, and then BAM it's gone. Once restored through versions (had premium at the time) and second time because I had a second copy.

that's the last damned straw. I expect an app like this to not just randomly delete your stuff, or failing that at least have a good, panic-free way of restoring it or backing it up. +1 for OneNote

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I used the desktop widget to write up an extensive note, clicked save and now its gone. I opened up Evernote, which prompted an update which I did. Now I can't find this note anywhere???

Please help! :( :( :(

Thanks,

Lars

Hi Lars, it's kinda messed up that if you had noted it in textedit, it would have been fine- the fact that a dedicated app like Evernote will just spontaneously delete notes is unacceptable.

You could try looking where evernote keeps its files. You're on a mac..? It's in username > library* > application support > Evernote

within there I suggest just searching for a word or words that you know you used in the note you made, and them limiting the search to the Evernote folder. Or, from there you could go to accounts > evernote > your account name > content, and there'll be lots of folders with .html files in them- those are your notes, sort by date and look for the most recent.

*:if you can't see the library folder, simply open user folder (it'll be named after your login) and hit Command J, and check "show library folder".

if evernote isn't in the application support folder, it probably means you got the evernote app from the apple mac store, in which case it stores the files somewhere else. I'm told it's here: User > Library > Containers > com.evernote.Evernote but I'm not able to confirm this on my setup. On windows it's supposedly here: C:\Users\[Your Username]\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\Databases

Good luck!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Level 5*

You can recover the lost or deleted notes from your iOS device by using the iOS data recovery software.  When I accidentally deleted my note from my iOS data I was very annoyed but thanks to data recovery software.

From the link/web site you posted, it looks like this SW is for recovery of Notes from the Apple Notes app.

Does it actually work for Evernote?  Did you use it to recover Evernote Notes?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived