Help: Old version of note synced over new one

Hi, need help. In short, how do I revert to an old version of a note?

I started a note on my iPad one evening, then got on my computer the next day and took notes from a lengthy interview with my mac installed app. Today, I went to use Evernote, and my old version of the note was up...I didn't know if I should discard it and then end up losing my note entirely, or save and sync and hope it would know not to overwrite all my changes. Unfortunately, my changes were overwritten. How do I revert to my most recent version?

Any help or leads appreciated, thanks!

• Level 5*

I started a note on my iPad one evening, then got on my computer the next day and took notes from a lengthy interview with my mac installed app. Today, I went to use Evernote, and my old version of the note was up...I didn't know if I should discard it and then end up losing my note entirely, or save and sync and hope it would know not to overwrite all my changes. Unfortunately, my changes were overwritten. How do I revert to my most recent version?

Hi. Welcome to the forums. If you are a Premium member, you can view your note history to find a previous version, though the versions are only made every eight hours or so, and i t is possible you fell within that gap (made changes and then synced old note data over it before Evernote had a chance to save a version. If you cannot find the version, you'll want to contact customer support and see if there is anything they can do for you.

I encountered a similar problem today.

I attached pictures to an old note with the OS X version of Evernote.

A couple of hours later I updated the iOS version to 4.3 from Appstore and launched the app. After that Evernote synced an old version of the note on top of the new one. I went to the desktop version to check and it just started to sync and now the old version was there too.

So now I have only the old note and have lost all my edits.

I am not a premium user. However there were less than 8 hours between my edit and the disastrous sync so even the history would have not saved me.

I have already filed a ticket to support.

• Level 5*

I just had the same problem, but my Note started on EN Mac.

But the problem is the same: the Note version last changed on EN Mac did NOT sync to EN iPhone.

I just had a loss of data due to sync failures and the new "tap to edit" feature.

Please see BUG: EN iPhone 4.3 Sync Failure Results in Loss of Data

• 4 weeks later...

Just got bitten by this bug too - pulled up Evernote on my iPhone for the first time in months (I usually use my iPad & Mac), and all my work-related notes for today immediately get overwritten by a very old, out-of-date set of notes.

This really sucks. I really like the app, but this is a HUGE bug. <_<

Although this can be annoying, this is not a bug. When you are done on one device/computer, you must sync those changes up to the EN servers, which are the source of all truths. After moving to another computer/device, it needs to have all the changes synced down before you change notes. If you don't do this, yes, you will likely end up losing data. In OP's situation, I would have exited the EN app by pressing the Home button (to hopefully prevent a sync) and gone to my desktop and made a copy of the note there, so I'd have two notes. (if I wasn't near my desktop, I'd use Logmein to access it remotely from my iPad). I'd also check note history.

Or, I'd simply have discarded the changes on my iPad, which should mean my iPad would/should not change that note.

Wrong, this IS a bug. The note WAS sync'd, numerous times during our meeting. I came out of the meeting with my iPad, and pulled up the notes on my Mac. This is a daily routine for me.

Walked to another office with my iPhone to pull up the notes; when I did, I saw the old version of my Meeting Notes document, from several weeks (if not MONTHS) before. Kept waiting for it to update but it never did - then I went back to my Mac & saw that the new note was gone, replaced by the (very) old one. Grabbed my iPad, saw today's notes, sync'd it - bam, notes gone.

I agree, the one on the server SHOULD be the one to reference. This did not happen with my iPhone - instead it uploaded a very old note & overwrote everything I had - it didn't even place anything in Conflicting Changes, which I would have expecting having the same note open on more than one device.

Just got bitten by this bug too - pulled up Evernote on my iPhone for the first time in months (I usually use my iPad & Mac), and all my work-related notes for today immediately get overwritten by a very old, out-of-date set of notes.

(emphasis mine)

Wrong, this IS a bug. The note WAS sync'd, numerous times during our meeting. I came out of the meeting with my iPad, and pulled up the notes on my Mac. This is a daily routine for me.

Walked to another office with my iPhone to pull up the notes; when I did, I saw the old version of my Meeting Notes document, from several weeks (if not MONTHS) before.

Sorry, but this definitely still sounds like a case of not sync'ing your iPhone changes up to the server the last time you used it, rather than a bug. Sounds like you'd made changes on the iPhone (even if it's something as simple as adding a space or carriage return), and not sync'd those changes up to the EN servers. Then you made changes with your iPad and/or Mac. Then when you returned to the iPhone, the changes (aka "old notes") were then sync'd up. That's the way EN is designed to work.

Conflicting notes are a result of changes to the same note from two different devices hitting the server at the same time. (This is one of the big reasons EN is not really a good tool for collaboration.) IE, my computers are all synced & then I make a change to one note on one computer & other changes to the same note on another computer & they both start sync'ing. But if you sync'd your iPad & go to your Mac & sync & everything is up to date/hunky dory fine, then when you reverted back to your iPhone, EN thinks that is a newer change. There's simply no way for Evernote to know if the "newer" note is intentional or not. This is exactly what it sounds like OP did, too.

Again, when switching between computers/devices, it's imperative to sync all changes up to the servers. Then be sure to sync all changes down to the next computer/device you're working on BEFORE making any changes.

Sorry, but you do not in fact know what I did with my phone. All of your comments are based on the idea that I did something with the note on my phone, which I did not. If the server copy is supposed to be "the one", then that should be checked & downloaded FIRST, when launching the app. That did not happen here.

If it's not a bug, then it's extremely poor design.

• Level 5*

I believe what the Evernote system is supposed to do is to check both the device and the EN Cloud to determine if there have been conflicting updates, and then alert the user and provide BOTH versions in your account. I think there should be a new Notebook created with one of the conflicting versions.

However, the Evernote documentation is so out of date and unreliable that I don't actually know for sure what it is supposed to do.

Maybe a knowledgeable Evernote person can jump in here with the facts.

As I mentioned in my above post, there are some bugs in the EN iOS client that are causing problems like this.

• 1 month later...

I am having the same problem. When you open an old version on the iphone it syncs over the most current changes made elsewhere. The elsewhere I refer to today is evernote web which I used to make changes on a note. The old version on the iphone was several months old. Luckily, as a premium member, I was able to get a relatively recent version back although without today's changes which, as I said, were made on evernote web and therefore definitely "synced." I have deleted evernote off my iphone to avoid this risk but it greatly diminishes the utility of this product.

• 3 weeks later...

Burgers, I too beg to differ. I was in the process of updating my work notes as well, and EVERY TIME I UPDATE MY NOTES ON THE COMPUTER, I SYNC THEM. The computer is the device I usually update on. When I changed a note last night on my Android, not only did that note revert to an earlier version, but ALL, ALL notes reverted to an earlier version. THIS IS A BUG. Unless your objective is to ***** over everyone that uses Evernote, this is a bug.

Burgers, I too beg to differ. I was in the process of updating my work notes as well, and EVERY TIME I UPDATE MY NOTES ON THE COMPUTER, I SYNC THEM. The computer is the device I usually update on. When I changed a note last night on my Android, not only did that note revert to an earlier version, but ALL, ALL notes reverted to an earlier version. THIS IS A BUG. Unless your objective is to ***** over everyone that uses Evernote, this is a bug.

You have to sync the changes DOWN to your Android device BEFORE attempting to change the note. EN does not PUSH new or modified notes.

And *I* have no objectives here, other than trying to help people understand the EN sync process b/c if you read my sig line, you'll see I'm not affiliated with Evernote in any way other than a user. And I'm pretty sure EN doesn't have the objective to ***** anyone over. That would be counterproductive.

• Level 5*

Did all of you having this problem get this bug reported with a support ticket?

good idea. i've reported it here on the forums in the feedback thread. the developers read the forums, so i am sure they know, and hopefully we have a fix in the next update.

I'm betting the real support people only track tickets. "Tickets!", "Tickets everybody!", "Tickets". I think I heard this in a movie on a train. :-)

By the way, data loss due to overlay or otherwise is a disaster. I'm seeing a good number of complaints in this area. It also looks like backups could not even get these people their data back, since it seems to involves the sync strategy.

There are no acceptable losses.

• Level 5*

I'm betting the real support people only track tickets. "Tickets!", "Tickets everybody!", "Tickets". I think I heard this in a movie on a train. :-)

By the way, data loss due to overlay or otherwise is a disaster. I'm seeing a good number of complaints in this area. It also looks like backups could not even get these people their data back, since it seems to involves the sync strategy.

There are no acceptable losses.

Hi. It is a good idea to start a ticket. Thanks for suggesting it.

The OP had this problem more than two months ago. In my case, it may have happened earlier this week, or sometime in the past. I haven't had time to go back and reconstruct the note, so I cannot say when I lost the data or how extensive the damage was.

Also I haven't seen many reports on the problem. Until we have more data, I wouldn't conclude that this is a widespread issue.

• Level 5*
I'm betting the real support people only track tickets.

I am not sure what you're saying. The real support people most likely track customer interactions, start a ticket, and report on results: they helped the customer fix their problem, or couldn't do so, and the problem becomes something higher up the chain to solve. It's not unlikely that the same ticket would be used -- that's my experience, but I can't testify as to the details of Evernote's system -- because that one ticket would be the locus of all relevant information about the problem. Naturally, the powers that be need to constantly scan the ticket database, prioritizing, looking for duplicates, assigning to the appropriate person, etc.

If you're saying that the support people don't read the forum, I'm pretty sure that this is not wholly true; moreover, it's very likely that any Evernote employee who reads the forum is allowed to create new tickets as well.

It happened to me too.

But my case is slightly different.

Two months ago, I used offline notes on my iPad and found that my notes didn't sync with my desktop version after my premium account expired. ( I still don't know if it happened because my account expired.) And the mighty "tap to edit" feature of iOS version made me occasionally edit the old notes on the iPad and sync over my desktop version. I was outraged because those notes took me hours. And I had no choice but to continue my premium account earlier to get my notes back while I had no other urgent need to continued my account at that time.

If these data loss is caused by bugs, please fix it soon.

I would cry out if my data were lost again.

This may not be entirely relevant to the iOS topic, but it is relevant to old notes overwriting newer ones. I spent several hours today modifying two notes, and then creating a new one. When I went back to continue my work on the modified notes, all my changes were gone, and the notes had reverted to versions from a day or two ago (the last time I'd worked on them before today). This is all on the same device (my desktop PC running Windows XP), on the same day, with no re-launches of Evernote, or re-boots of the computer.

My iMac in another lab was in fact also running Evernote, but it had synched this morning, and I didn't modify any notes there in any case. At the time I started work on my PC in the afternoon, both my machines were (to my knowledge) synched to the cloud copy and thus to each other.

Is it possible that my note edits are not being saved frequently enough locally? What happens if Evernote tries to synch before it has saved a local copy? Does it recognize that you're working on a copy and save it before synching (one would think it should...). Will manually synching reduce the frequency of the problem?

Well, a bit more investigation shows that one of my notes is simply resistant to accepting any edits. I can type things into it and it appears on the screen fine, but it will not update, i.e., the "Updated" date and time will not change. If I click to another note, then return immediately to check on my attempted edits, they have disappeared. Manually clicking "sync" does not help. Even when I copy the entire note to a new one, it remained un-editable. Even when I open a new note and copy-paste text to the new note, the text will not remain with the new note (i.e., it too will disappear if I go to another note and return...). This appears to be less of a synching problem and more of some attribute of a note that will not allow it to accept edits. I should probably move it to a different topic.

(But it could look like a synching problem, if you "edited" a note, and your edits were ignored. You might presume that your edits had been overwritten, when in fact they were never saved in the first place.)

• Level 5*

Well, a bit more investigation shows that one of my notes is simply resistant to accepting any edits. I can type things into it and it appears on the screen fine, but it will not update, i.e., the "Updated" date and time will not change. If I click to another note, then return immediately to check on my attempted edits, they have disappeared. Manually clicking "sync" does not help. Even when I copy the entire note to a new one, it remained un-editable. Even when I open a new note and copy-paste text to the new note, the text will not remain with the new note (i.e., it too will disappear if I go to another note and return...). This appears to be less of a synching problem and more of some attribute of a note that will not allow it to accept edits. I should probably move it to a different topic.

(But it could look like a synching problem, if you "edited" a note, and your edits were ignored. You might presume that your edits had been overwritten, when in fact they were never saved in the first place.)

I have encountered something similar to this myself when using the iPhone.

I am not sure what to think about it. Is this an Evernote thing? I have not heard of it happening on any other platform before your report, but what you describe would suggest that there is an underlying sync problem. Is this an iOS thing? I haven't encountered it on my iPad yet. Is this an iPhone thing? So far, that seems the most likely.

Anyhow, thanks for reporting this. I wish I knew more. The developers read these forums and I know they take this stuff pretty seriously, so I am sure they are looking into it. I don't want to jump to any conclusions, especially about something like this, so we'll want to wait to hear back from the devs. Regardless, as always, I strongly recommend frequent backups, preferably with versions (Time Machine on the Mac). This is a good idea for any digital stuff, not just Evernote.

Further investigation shows that --

(1) The note, which was uneditable on my PC, was editable from my Mac at home over the weekend. And when I opened up the note on my PC on Monday (today), the edits downloaded / synched just. However -- the note was STILL uneditable on my PC. Any text I added was ignored.

but worse:

(2) I opened the note into a separate window (by double clicking on it in List view), thinking perhaps I could edit the note there instead. However, when I added a few keystrokes, and then closed the window, the entire note contents were erased.

I ended up with a blank window. I'll try to start a support ticket, if I'm allowed (I'm not a premium user).

• Level 5*

Further investigation shows that --

(1) The note, which was uneditable on my PC, was editable from my Mac at home over the weekend. And when I opened up the note on my PC on Monday (today), the edits downloaded / synched just. However -- the note was STILL uneditable on my PC. Any text I added was ignored.

but worse:

(2) I opened the note into a separate window (by double clicking on it in List view), thinking perhaps I could edit the note there instead. However, when I added a few keystrokes, and then closed the window, the entire note contents were erased.

I ended up with a blank window. I'll try to start a support ticket, if I'm allowed (I'm not a premium user).

Hi. I am sorry to hear about the data loss. I am sure that Evernote will want to know more. Thanks for contacting them. Support tickets are available to anyone. We're all users here! Premium users are supposed to get quicker support, but from what I have seen on the forums, it is pretty speedy either way.

ok i think ive fallen victim to this 'bug' that everyone seems to be having.

In a nutshell :

im using Mac OSX.8.2

Been using evernote back in Jan 2012 for a 3D animation class i was taken and took notes using this program . So after a long hiatus, i decided to log back into the application to pull my notes out .. and it was there. this was 24 hours ago . EVerything was there .

After updating my ipad and iphone ( evernote app ) ... i thought ok things are good ... cant possibly go wrong .

WELL , 24 hours later i logg back in on my computer to access the note ( theres one note i wrote for all my class notes ) . Now, i noticed the NOTE IS THERE .. but the content of all my note are GONE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am NOT a premium member so i cant use the note history feature.

I have alrady submitted a support ticket and im praying tech support can somewhat ressurect this for me because this information is crucial.

I would be deeply dissapointed if this does not pan out. I am hoping there is something they can do for everyone in here.

I understand that this is a free service i am using but to offer such service that will potentially cause plenty of grief to others is not cool .

Again, i really hope this pans out for everyone. Losing important data is not a joke.

I hope the ticket gets you help - I am not a Mac person, but does the icloud or other backups you might have, include a backup of the Evernote files on your machine? Do you have an old hard drive or other backup, or an old machine that might have it? Might be able to find it there, but be sure to only copy the files, and don't let Evernote access them directly. Just suggesting.

Let us know what happens. Good Luck!

After 48 hours ... Evernote Support Ticket has been dealt with and they offered me a one week PREMIUM membership which activates the NOTE HISTORY feature ... thus shows all the save states of my note that dissapeared and i was finally able to ressurrect it . PHEW !!

Once it was retrieved, i proceeded to back this ***** up by exporting the note(s) on to my dropbox folder so i can have a 2ndary backup !

WONDERFUL !

to EVER 111 ... unfortunately iCloud doesnt backup the evernote stuff . Icloud only backs up CONTACTS, CALENDARS and DOCUMENTS ( ie, iwork ) ... EVernote files sit on their own server so it couldnt get retreived that way . There was an alternative TIME MACHINE backup method which i couldnt do because i didnt use time machine to backup my stuff .

Anyhow, It is a relief to

Perhaps they should make the NOTE HISTORY feature free for NON-PREMIUM members ( for even the past week history ) ... yeah ?

Thanks again guys ! . I am a happy camper

^_^:)

After 48 hours ... Evernote Support Ticket has been dealt with and they offered me a one week PREMIUM membership which activates the NOTE HISTORY feature ... thus shows all the save states of my note that dissapeared and i was finally able to ressurrect it . PHEW !!

Once it was retrieved, i proceeded to back this ***** up by exporting the note(s) on to my dropbox folder so i can have a 2ndary backup !

WONDERFUL !

to EVER 111 ... unfortunately iCloud doesnt backup the evernote stuff . Icloud only backs up CONTACTS, CALENDARS and DOCUMENTS ( ie, iwork ) ... EVernote files sit on their own server so it couldnt get retreived that way . There was an alternative TIME MACHINE backup method which i couldnt do because i didnt use time machine to backup my stuff .

Perhaps they should make the NOTE HISTORY feature free for NON-PREMIUM members ( for even the past week history ) ... yeah ?

I'm glad things worked out for you. However, exporting the notes to an enex file is not the recommended method of backing up your local database. This has been discussed a lot on the board, so please use the search function on the words backup and/or restore.

• 2 months later...

WONDERFUL !

I'm glad things worked out for you. It looks like they haven't fixed anything though, since all these discussions were in October and the same thing just happened to me today. I had not used my iPhone in a LONG time. Last time I used it, everything was synced. I'm normally on my iPad now and doing my work there. Today I opened my iPhone (didn't want to whip out an iPad in Target just to jot an idea down) and poof, old stuff from before Christmas. I started a ticket. I hope they help me out too.

It kind of makes me think this is their way to get people to pay for Premium service. I have considered Premium but there are too many glitches right now. Maybe once I feel more confident in the service.

UPDATE: I put in a ticket. Evernote responded and temporarily made me a Premium user, so I could go into history and retrieve my old note. Problem solved. Thank you!

**I think I figured out what my initial problem was...

My Evernote setting in my iPhone had been set to "Sync on WiFi only".

I must have made some old changes in the iPhone (done while not on WiFi).  I may not have realized, later while working from iPad, that the few minor changes were missing.  I tend to shut down all unused apps on my phone to save on battery life.  Then, I continued to routinely use Evernote from my iPad or desktop.  Months later, when I opened Evernote on my iPhone, I switched "Sync on WiFi only" to "off".  That's when I had lost everything.  The only thing I can think of is that Evernote then decided to go back to the changes I had made, that were not yet synced, from months earlier, and wiping out the newer stuff.  If this is truly what happened, then this is obviously an Evernote flaw/issue that needs resolving.  Since I have kept 'Sync on WiFi only" turned "off", I have not had any problems.  I think Evernote has been auto syncing but just as a precautionary measure, if I'm going to switch devices, I make sure I do a sync with the last device used.

• 1 month later...

February 11th, 2013. Still not fixed. I'm a relatively new user. Purchased iPhone 5 in November 2012. Culminated a slew of documents (e.g. notes of different subjects: personal, work, PDFs, MS Office). Thought I would consolidate, created "Notebooks".

I also copied and pasted text into a different document (i.e. I had multiple "shopping/grocery/amenities lists). I synced, deleted document that I pasted from, unplugged, and discovered pasted material was not in iPhone. Plugged back in to do a test. Copied and pasted from another document, re-synced, ... nothing.

Thought maybe it was because I had *never* cleared the cache in the app (i.e. iPhone/iOS). Tried that, tried the whole re-copy/re-sync. Nothing. I even tried clearing cache, logging out, logging back in, and re-syncing, ... still get the old file. Disconcerting that this happens to Premium Users. I'm on the free version. Still, this is a core functionality bug (i.e. F*** Note History).

*Back to Nebulous? ... Nebulous doesn't have "folders/sorting" abilities and it doesn't allow users to format text (though I do like how the pinch-zoom has more increments). Have yet to venture into MS OneNote; and I really don't want to. Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

February 23, 2013.

I was just adding edits and further text to a previously created note in Evernote latest version 5 on an iPad (3rd generation, latest iOS). After a sync, a very early version of the note appeared mysteriously on the iPad. The latest version of the note was nowhere to be found in Evernote on the iPad. In an incredible stroke of luck, I was able to find the most recent version in Evernote when I went across to my MacBookPro. Apparently the edits had synced up to Evernote. However, the edits were definitely not on the iPad version of Evernote. The only solution to make the updates appear on the iPad was to create a new note in Evernote on my laptop, copy in the latest updated version of the text, and start again. The new note created on the laptop of course appeared on the iPad. Had that course of action not been available, significant work on the iPad would have been lost. The only unusual thing I did during the Evernote iPad session was to put some text into bold font (which I rarely do otherwise). I normally create notes from scratch using FastEverXL for iPad (rather than Evernote itself) and add or edit note text on my laptop. Editing a note on the iPad is rare for me, but I hadn't appreciated the risk of doing so. In any case, I hope this assists Evernote to diagnose the cause of this problem and fortify the iPad version of Evernote against such data loss. 

Regards,

Jason

• 3 months later...

I had this problem last night. I made change on my desktop last night and SYNC'd them - several times as a matter of fact  - the last time at 10:38pm.  When I opened my ipad this morning (less than 8 hours later, but so what)  it had the old copy, so I sync'd to pull in the new stuff (which is what I usually do and it has always worked before). It pulled in an old version - even though in that specific note button info said 'Updated Yesterday 10:38'  Defeats the whole purpose, doesn't it. Thak goodness it was a short note, I have written back up and I am not a paid member or I'd be a lot more upset. :(

Oh, and when I came over to my desktop (I happened to be at home) where the addtions were still showing in that note, a sync wiped them out (back to the old version).

This bug has been going on for a while, it seems looking at this thread.

Backing up to another place (including desktop) as some people have suggested, also rather defeats the purpose does it not? And one person suggested leaving mobile device, going over to desktop and making a a quick back up of edits and then doing something to get them to the mobile. Seriously?

Support ticket placed.

Happy camper was pleased that they made him a premium member for a month so he could grab history file and then he backed it up elsewhere. Seriously? This does not fix the problem.

Perhaps it is just not possible to sync across all the devises and for Evernote to know which is the correct change? How do they know that when yu sync from a version that has an old note that it is  not the version youwant? Maybe you want all those changes deleted. It has made me a little uncomfortable that there is not a 'save' type button for a local save. Now I know why it has made me uncomfortable - this could happen!

• 2 weeks later...

I also had the same problem last night. I'd been using Evernote on my desktop for more than a year for one continuous to-do list. I sometimes viewed the list from my phone. Last night  I opened my laptop and pressed sync, hoping that would give me access to the to-do list on my laptop since I'm traveling this weekend. The sync wiped out the year-long to-do list with lots of valuable information.

It was my understanding that Evernote saves automatically, without my having to press save. Is that right? One person in this thread keeps saying the problem is that we don't keep pressing sync after each time we add to a note. Bu I thought that the genius of Evernote was that it did all this automatically, similar to the way Google docs works - that I didn't have to press save at all.

If I need to change my habits of using Evernote - or simply if I need to use a different program for my to-do list, I'd love to know this in advance!

I'm about to submit a ticket - if I can find where to do this - and pray that they can get me back to the recent note.

Harriet

I also had the same problem last night. I'd been using Evernote on my desktop for more than a year for one continuous to-do list. I sometimes viewed the list from my phone. Last night I opened my laptop and pressed sync, hoping that would give me access to the to-do list on my laptop since I'm traveling this weekend. The sync wiped out the year-long to-do list with lots of valuable information.

It was my understanding that Evernote saves automatically, without my having to press save. Is that right? One person in this thread keeps saying the problem is that we don't keep pressing sync after each time we add to a note. Bu I thought that the genius of Evernote was that it did all this automatically, similar to the way Google docs works - that I didn't have to press save at all.

If I need to change my habits of using Evernote - or simply if I need to use a different program for my to-do list, I'd love to know this in advance!

I'm about to submit a ticket - if I can find where to do this - and pray that they can get me back to the recent note.

Harriet

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/20092-not-very-happy-right-now/?p=101095

EN syncs based upon your settings and/or your device. It does not sync instantaneously.

Regarding recovering note history: http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/39082-anyway-you-can-restore-evernote-to-a-certain-date/

To submit a support ticket, see my sig.

• 2 months later...

New thread...

Here is what I did, and tell me if this is a bug or user error:

1.  I made additions to an existing note in my OSX app. (MacPro), and synced it.

2.  Opened my iPhone app. 

3.  EN did not ask me anything, it just immediately synced, replacing all the new changes I had done on the MacPro with the

old version of that note that was on my iPhone.  I had not made any additions or deletions, did not even open a note...  - this happened upon opening.

4. I do not believe I synced my iPhone the last time I had used it.   But even if I had not, should EN have immediately updated my existing note like this?

I am wondering if there is some preference I have to adjust.

Thanks...

I don't see any response to the latest post.  So, ggg111, I'm wondering if EN actually syncs to the same exact files across device types, or does it mirror later?  Tried reproducing the problem, then doing it again, but wait 15 minutes before bringing up iPhone?

If you have some conditions nailed down, I'm thinking you should open a support ticket with them, and keep on it.

Another serious data overlay issue.  Imprecise operation of a critical system, causing data loss.

Anybody?

I have been very careful with ios evernote.  I only open it to look at notes... not to edit them.  I try very hard not to actually "touch" the note body (due to the fact that you can't turn off touch to edit.)  I close the application with double tap when I'm done.  When I reopen, I wait for the wheel to stop spinning before I touch anything (the wheel keeps spinning for a while even after all the new notes show up.)  Since adopting this "evernote ios hygiene," I haven't had any data loss.  I think the problem happens when ios syncs the old versions over the new.  This happens when the app was open and didn't sync for whatever reason.  Or if you "touch to edit" before the app has had a chance to catch up.  What's annoying is that if these kinds of conflicts happen between desktops, a "conflicted copy" is created.  For some reason, this doesn't happen with ios.

• 1 month later...

I realize this is an older thread, but there still seems to be some activity so I'll mention what happened to me:

I was attending a conference yesterday, so I set up an Evernote note on my laptop with an outline of the presentations I planned to see. I hit sync.

I then synced my iPad (over W-IFI at home) and had the note ready for me to add my notes during the presentations.

I got to the conference and got on the WI-FI there and opened the note. The WI-FI very soon became unreliable at the conference, so I bailed on the iPad and used my iPhone instead (I had only taken a few notes). The few notes I had typed on the iPad had not synced, of course. So when I opened Evernote on my iPhone it had the original blank outline I had set up in the morning.

Realizing I may have some syncing issues, I manually hit the sync button on my iPhone Evernote often during the day.

After the conference, I went home and opened my iPad on my WI-FI. I'm guessing that the iPad note then synced and overwrote everything, because now on all my devices I am left with my original outline.

So. What did I do wrong? (Besides relying on Evernote to take my conference notes?)

I suggest you open a ticket with your info, so that it will be officially addressed as a problem,

open your own thread so people won't have to read years of complaints about it (they don't care),

and if you're pretty well up to date, find the latest beta thread and post on it.

And if you have important notes going into evernote, it is good to back them up in another file, especially if you have multiple updates going on.  Hmmm, I just thought, maybe the system you went back to, updated the note's time to current, and sync'd it on in.  They really need a sequence number that is incremented somehow, in addition to date detection, to prevent overlay of notes.

Good luck, and anybody else weigh in on this!

• 2 weeks later...

Similar issue this morning.  Running late to the office, and joined a conf call.  Needed to access notes from Friday for the call.  So, I opened the evernote app on iPhone.  Checked sync status in settings, and it was a few minutes earlier... THEN I manually ran another sync to ensure that I didn't have THIS EXACT ISSUE.  

Open the note that I need for my conf call...  guess what: NO NOTE INFO from Friday.

Get to office, open evernote....  guess what:  The iphone had overwritten everything from Friday.

I submitted a ticket, and just thought I'd post a new post to keep this thread alive.

Now, I'm very torn.  I would gladly pay for evernote.  I have been using it for years, but never really needed the features of the paid version.  So, I let premium lapse years ago, but I would gladly pay for the server....  However, I don't think I'm willing to pay to fix an obvious and ongoing bug.  :(

Just wanted to report the exact same issue:

1. Edited the note on my iPad and closed it

2. Edited the note on my PC (Win 7)

3. Opened the iPad to view the note

4. Went back to my PC. The iPad had now overwritten the note from step 1. Note from step 2 is gone. 

Should I upgrade to premium just to be able to get my note back?

Perhaps it's helpful if y'all acknowledge there is no PUSH with Evernote.  So you need to fully understand the sync/cloud process.

Also, EN is not a true collaboration tool & does not lock records being edited.  IOW, multiple users can be editing the same note simultaneously.  But after syncing...one of them will be anguished b/c their changes were lost.  This is not specific to Evernote.  Let's say I have a Toodledo account I share with my husband for our grocery list.  He adds things he wants to the list & syncs.  I must sync when entering the grocery so I have the current list.  But as I'm shopping, he may add more groceries.  If I do not sync my Toodledo app, I will not see these additions b/c they are not "pushed" to my phone.  So I would need to do my shopping & then before checking out, sync again to see if he had added anything while I was actually shopping.  The difference between EN notes & items on my grocery list in Toodledo is that an EN note may contain a lot of other info.  Whereas my Toodledo grocery list uses a single line item (comparable to an Evernote note) for each grocery item.

Perhaps it's helpful if y'all acknowledge there is no PUSH with Evernote.  So you need to fully understand the sync/cloud process.

Also, EN is not a true collaboration tool & does not lock records being edited.  IOW, multiple users can be editing the same note simultaneously.  But after syncing...one of them will be anguished b/c their changes were lost.  This is not specific to Evernote.  Let's say I have a Toodledo account I share with my husband for our grocery list.  He adds things he wants to the list & syncs.  I must sync when entering the grocery so I have the current list.  But as I'm shopping, he may add more groceries.  If I do not sync my Toodledo app, I will not see these additions b/c they are not "pushed" to my phone.  So I would need to do my shopping & then before checking out, sync again to see if he had added anything while I was actually shopping.  The difference between EN notes & items on my grocery list in Toodledo is that an EN note may contain a lot of other info.  Whereas my Toodledo grocery list uses a single line item (comparable to an Evernote note) for each grocery item.

I do understand Evernote does not do push, but that is not the main issue. The problem is Evernote has makes no attempt to solve or even warn about theseconflicts - instead it just overwrites! And as some users have posted this can be devastating. One simple solution would be simple saving a conflicting copy (just like Dropbox does!) and then let the user merge the two notes...

Perhaps it's helpful if y'all acknowledge there is no PUSH with Evernote.  So you need to fully understand the sync/cloud process......

I ONLY use the web client when not on my iPhone.  So based on the BurgersNFries explanation of how the sync process works, my note content that I took during my meeting WAS stored on the server on Friday.  

However, when I opened the iPhone app and relied on the sync date AND a performed a MANUAL note sync... My note data from Friday was still lost.  

My main issues is that even when I carefully follow standard synchronization guidelines my data has been lost.  At this point, I can't reply on the iPhone app.  

BTW, BurgersNFries --  I would suggest that you try out Trello for your grocery list.   Just my $0.02.  

I do understand Evernote does not do push, but that is not the main issue. The problem is Evernote has makes no attempt to solve or even warn about theseconflicts - instead it just overwrites! And as some users have posted this can be devastating. One simple solution would be simple saving a conflicting copy (just like Dropbox does!) and then let the user merge the two notes...

Or...the user can be diligent about syncing when moving between devices/computers.  And BTW, there is a difference between note conflicts (which at least the Windows client addresses & I think the iOS client as well) vs updating a note with old info.  Conflicts occur when the same note has been changed on different devices/computers within a very short period of time.  But if you update a note from your iPad on Friday but don't sync it, then update that same note on the web client on Saturday, then sync your iPad on Sunday, that note you updated on Friday but didn't sync is considered a new modification & will overwrite the changes you made on Saturday.

Or...the user can be diligent about syncing when moving between devices/computers.  And BTW, there is a difference between note conflicts (which at least the Windows client addresses & I think the iOS client as well) vs updating a note with old info.  Conflicts occur when the same note has been changed on different devices/computers within a very short period of time.  But if you update a note from your iPad on Friday but don't sync it, then update that same note on the web client on Saturday, then sync your iPad on Sunday, that note you updated on Friday but didn't sync is considered a new modification & will overwrite the changes you made on Saturday.

But, even when I was diligent, Evernote FAILED.  Did you even read what my issue is or the order over events that triggered it?

Just to recap:

Friday 10/25/2013 - webclient accessed via http://evernote.com 

-Entered server note lines of text on a note throughout the day

-Entered meeting notes into the same note towards the end of the day

-Entered a few more lines of text @ day's end

-ONLY TEXT NO SPECIAL FORMATTING

Saturday 10/26/2013 - No interaction with Evernote 

Sunday 10/27/2013 - No interaction with Evernote

Monday 10/28/2103

-Running late.

-Need to join a conference call before I will arrive a the office

-Idea: "Hey, I'll just dial in from the car and I can discuss the meeting details that I recorded in evernote on Friday by accessing it via my iPhone app"

--iOS 7, latest version of Evernote

-Open evernote

-Check the Last Synchronized date, and it was a few minutes prior to my check

-Click "Sync Now" because I want to ensure that I REALLY have my data (and to ensure that THIS EXACT situation does not occur)

-Open note I was working in on Friday (for the first time on my iPhone app - EVER)

-THEN.....

---THE NOTE DATA FROM FRIDAY WAS GONE---

TLDR:  There's a sync BUG in the iOS app!  

BurgersNFries - Your signature states that you are not affiliated with Evernote.  So, if you are unable to offer some factual, technical information that could be used as a potential work around and/or a bug fix... Why do you keep trolling this thread?

But, even when I was diligent, Evernote FAILED.  Did you even read what my issue is or the order over events that triggered it?

Just to recap:

Friday 10/25/2013 - webclient accessed via http://evernote.com 

-Entered server note lines of text on a note throughout the day

-Entered meeting notes into the same note towards the end of the day

-Entered a few more lines of text @ day's end

-ONLY TEXT NO SPECIAL FORMATTING

Saturday 10/26/2013 - No interaction with Evernote 

Sunday 10/27/2013 - No interaction with Evernote

Monday 10/28/2103

-Running late.

-Need to join a conference call before I will arrive a the office

-Idea: "Hey, I'll just dial in from the car and I can discuss the meeting details that I recorded in evernote on Friday by accessing it via my iPhone app"

--iOS 7, latest version of Evernote

-Open evernote

-Check the Last Synchronized date, and it was a few minutes prior to my check

-Click "Sync Now" because I want to ensure that I REALLY have my data (and to ensure that THIS EXACT situation does not occur)

-Open note I was working in on Friday (for the first time on my iPhone app - EVER)

-THEN.....

---THE NOTE DATA FROM FRIDAY WAS GONE---

TLDR:  There's a sync BUG in the iOS app!  

BurgersNFries - Your signature states that you are not affiliated with Evernote.  So, if you are unable to offer some factual, technical information that could be used as a potential work around and/or a bug fix... Why do you keep trolling this thread?

Dude, I was specifically addressing the person I quoted. Which is why...I quoted him.  Just b/c I'm posting in this thread doesn't mean I'm obligated to reply to every post. 

WRT your issue, for all I know, when you tried to call up the note on your phone, you may have hit something to cause the note to clear out.  I do know the iPhone app can be very, very slow, if you have a lot of notes or large notes.  So it's entirely possible you didn't fully sync the note down & accidentally sync'd a blank note up while you were busy driving & trying to use EN. 

Did you look at the note history (a premium user feature)? 

Did you submit a support ticket as suggested above? 

Good luck. 

I do appreciate you taking the time to respond and help out, but at the moment you are coming off like someone who is defending Evernote at any cost. You don't seem to acknowledge that there is a fault (I would almost call it a bug) in the s/w and instead blaming it on the user. You can't expect the user to always be 'diligent' when using a product and to remember exactly which notes you have changed or not and when. The point of software is to do that for you and not allow the user to make such errors. And what if you don't have internet access on your iPad as you are about to open and edit a note? 

Before synching EN on iOS should check if the baseline (the version before the change) is the same as the note on the server. if not, it should not just overwrite it but either suggest a merge (like a proper version management software would) or at least save a conflicting copy (like Dropbox). 

I do appreciate you taking the time to respond and help out, but at the moment you are coming off like someone who is defending Evernote at any cost. You don't seem to acknowledge that there is a fault (I would almost call it a bug) in the s/w and instead blaming it on the user. You can't expect the user to always be 'diligent' when using a product and to remember exactly which notes you have changed or not and when. The point of software is to do that for you and not allow the user to make such errors. And what if you don't have internet access on your iPad as you are about to open and edit a note? 

Before synching EN on iOS should check if the baseline (the version before the change) is the same as the note on the server. if not, it should not just overwrite it but either suggest a merge (like a proper version management software would) or at least save a conflicting copy (like Dropbox).

I do not expect users to remember exactly which notes they changed. I don't even know how you dug that up.  What I do expect (and it's really not that hard) is if you're switching between devices, sync DOWN before changing any notes & sync UP after changing or adding notes. It's really that simple. It's that way with many (most?) cloud apps. To reiterate:

Perhaps it's helpful if y'all acknowledge there is no PUSH with Evernote. So you need to fully understand the sync/cloud process.

Also, EN is not a true collaboration tool & does not lock records being edited. IOW, multiple users can be editing the same note simultaneously. But after syncing...one of them will be anguished b/c their changes were lost. This is not specific to Evernote. Let's say I have a Toodledo account I share with my husband for our grocery list. He adds things he wants to the list & syncs. I must sync when entering the grocery so I have the current list. But as I'm shopping, he may add more groceries. If I do not sync my Toodledo app, I will not see these additions b/c they are not "pushed" to my phone. So I would need to do my shopping & then before checking out, sync again to see if he had added anything while I was actually shopping. The difference between EN notes & items on my grocery list in Toodledo is that an EN note may contain a lot of other info. Whereas my Toodledo grocery list uses a single line item (comparable to an Evernote note) for each grocery item.

IOW, it's the same for say, Toodledo. If I make changes on my iPad but don't sync them, then when I am using that same list on my iPhone, it will not be current. So one would need to remember to sync Toodledo UP after making any changes to the list from the iPad & remember to sync changes DOWN when moving to the iPhone.

• Level 5*

In theory, Evernote is supposed to generate note conflicts (they've never called themselves version management software); you wind up with two (or more) copies of the note. See e.g., http://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#/article/23275623. So far, that's been my experience (using the Windows and Android clients, across several devices), when I've carelessly modified a note on different devices without having synced up properly (I'm usually pretty careful about that). If it's overwriting note content rather than generating a note conflict, I'd call that a bug.

In theory, Evernote is supposed to generate note conflicts (they've never called themselves version management software); you wind up with two (or more) copies of the note. See e.g., http://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#/article/23275623. So far, that's been my experience (using the Windows and Android clients, across several devices), when I've carelessly modified a note on different devices without having synced up properly (I'm usually pretty careful about that). If it's overwriting note content rather than generating a note conflict, I'd call that a bug.

That would be what I had expected too - a conflicting copy to be saved (just like cloud-based apps like Dropbox do). At the bottom of the note it now says "Conflicting modification on", but the new entries I wrote from my PC are gone. I have now filled a support request.

Also I cannot access that page since Evernote's home page seems dead set on redirecting me to their Swedish site (I'm Swedish, but I'm surfing the web from Canada!?) and I can't seem to get it to go to the international site.

You may try deleting your cookies--either all of them or selectively on the Evernote home page and Swedish site you're running into.  We had a forum regular run into this with our yinxiang biji site and it was corrected.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm getting old iPad notes overwriting newer Mac notes.  

I don't see "always sync manually before leaving a device" as a solution. 

Dropbox manages to stay synced without requiring that. 

Dropbox updates almost immediately & can do so b/c Dropbox's usage is based upon what's on the server at any given time.  IOW, if you are allowed 2 gigs & you are currently at 1.75 gigs, you can delete enough stuff to get down to 1.25 gigs so you can add something that's 50 gigs. 

Evernote, OTOH, uses upload.  So it doesn't sync each time you make a change say, from your Mac desktop client.  Otherwise, it would be using up your upload limit very quickly.  IOW, if you are allowed a gig per month & you've used up 75% of it, deleting things does not free up any space.

Dropbox updates almost immediately & can do so b/c Dropbox's usage is based upon what's on the server at any given time.  IOW, if you are allowed 2 gigs & you are currently at 1.75 gigs, you can delete enough stuff to get down to 1.25 gigs so you can add something that's 50 gigs. 

Evernote, OTOH, uses upload.  So it doesn't sync each time you make a change say, from your Mac desktop client.  Otherwise, it would be using up your upload limit very quickly.  IOW, if you are allowed a gig per month & you've used up 75% of it, deleting things does not free up any space.

Haha, you are funny Burgers'N'Fries. You just refuse to acknowledge there could be a bug in Evernote. Let me try to explain once again:

When Evernote tries to sync (or upload) a note and it finds a newer note on the server, it should save a conflicting copy in a 'conflicting changes notebook'

The problem is, this does not always happen and in these cases it simply overwrites the newer note, thus, actually causing the user to lose data.

This does not happen with other cloud services (like Dropbox) and has nothing to do with upload limits or what the usage is based.

• Level 5*

Haha, you are funny Burgers'N'Fries. You just refuse to acknowledge there could be a bug in Evernote. Let me try to explain once again:

When Evernote tries to sync (or upload) a note and it finds a newer note on the server, it should save a conflicting copy in a 'conflicting changes notebook'

The problem is, this does not always happen and in these cases it simply overwrites the newer note, thus, actually causing the user to lose data.

This does not happen with other cloud services (like Dropbox) and has nothing to do with upload limits or what the usage is based.

This exact scenario happened to me. 

1. I updated a Note using EN Mac, and sync'd.
  2. I viewed the Note using EN iPad, and it had NOT been updated/sync'd to the new version.
  3. However, just my act of viewing the note on EN iPad caused EN to think I had made changes (which I had not), and so when it sync'd the iPad to EN Cloud, it over-wrote the version I had made using the Mac.
    • This is where the BUG occurred.
    • EN iPad should NOT have allowed changes to a Note before it had been sync'd
    • When EN uploaded the Note from iPad it should have seen that the iPad date (prior to its update on the iPad) was OLDER than the version that was currently in the EN Cloud, and thus created a "conflicting note" entry.

So, I think there are TWO BUGS and/or Design Flaws:

1. BEFORE EN opens a Note for editing, it should verify the version on EN Cloud is the same.
  2. BEFORE EN overwrites a Note in EN Cloud, it should verify the date of the Note on the device PRIOR to last edit is the same as the version in EN Cloud.  Actually it should go further to verify the Note in EN Cloud is the SAME as the Note on the device PRIOR to edit, using something like checksum.

What's funny is that what you're explaining has nothing to do with the post of mine you quoted. 

But thanks for playing.

Guys,

Open a new thread with a fairly specific title, and your details.  All of the it ain't broke rebuttals just make the thread too big for anybody to look at, as you know.  An evangelist is one who tries to convert others to their belief at all cost.  Even if there is a problem, finding it and fixing it is not on an evangelist's radar screen by definition.  Explain it away if possible.

But in fact, Evernote forum assigns the titles, and the user cannot, so she didn't choose it.  But as far as her tag line, looks like she might have adopted the assignment.

We actually do have a conflicting notes process--on Desktop a new note is created in a new notebook, and the user can decide which or however they would like to resolve the conflict. There should be a notification happening there as well. On iOS, conflicting changes are appended to the note that experienced the conflict. We are definitely continuing to look into all instances where there might be data loss happening.

• 2 months later...

Just happened to me for the second time this week.  In the first time I lost a 15 days worth of edits in a note.  Today I lost just one session, but I'm done with EN until this is resolved and I think to check the fix.

Steps taken in todays loss:

1) edit for 5+ minutes on a desktop mac

2) walk to meeting, open up ipad app, change nothing

3) notice missing content, hit the sync button --no changes

4) walk back to desk, hit sync on the desk

5) watched my morning edits disappear before my eyes

6) curse and scream as undo doesn't help and there are no conflict notes

It used to be that EN would show conflicts, but that's changed and not being able to trust my notes' survivability is too much. I'm switching back to google docs which at least has server push and free version history.

Ok, so today I lost my last editing note from my work machine (A) in about a week. Yesterday I started syncing from my home machine but It synced from B -> A (old one overwrote new one). That was so annoying.

If anyone have encounter this problem please let me know if I could view the note revision so I could manually retrieve it?!

• 2 weeks later...

Had the same problem everyone is describing today, and it has happened before w the iOS app.  I purchased the Premium service for a month so I could restore the note from the History and that worked, still sucks since there is no way to tell that a note has been overwritten w and old version.  And yes I know all about Conflicting Changes and how syncing works, there is still a bug in the iOS app.

• 5 months later...

Regardless of whether or not this is 'working as designed' I am very surprised that there seems to be little concern about whether or not this is working as expected?  I know this, I am leaving Evernote to try something else.  The amount of human interaction it takes to maintain the most current version of my notes (the only real reason I use Evernote over a simple text editor) is such that I may as well explore other options or go back to simply using a text editor and back it up and/or gdocs which has no issue managing changes.

• 1 month later...

Regardless of whether or not this is 'working as designed' I am very surprised that there seems to be little concern about whether or not this is working as expected?  I know this, I am leaving Evernote to try something else.  The amount of human interaction it takes to maintain the most current version of my notes (the only real reason I use Evernote over a simple text editor) is such that I may as well explore other options or go back to simply using a text editor and back it up and/or gdocs which has no issue managing changes.

I completely agree.  Regardless of whether this is a bug or a "feature" it is extremely dangerous.  I was thinking of using Evernote in a work environment so that colleagues could share notes on everything, from thoughts and ideas to meeting minutes.  Unfortunately I bet there will be one person who will not follow the rules and end up syncing a device months later by accident, it happens.  The system is just not robust enough for commercial use... sorry.  I have already gone back to text files on a backed up server.  

If Evernote decide to fix this bug then please let the forum know.  

• 1 month later...

The bug seems to still not be fixed. I had written a note on the Evernote desktop version (osx). The day after I opened to read the note on an iPad, made some changes, then noticed it was an old version. I thought the desktop version hadn't been sync'd so I opened it and hoped a "conflicted notes" version would appear when syncing it (as per usual). For some reason this didn't happen and the new (edited older) version replaced the version I had written on the desktop application.

Since I'm using an old iPad that can't install the latest iOS version of Evernote, my guess is that the bug arises because of some difference between how the old software syncs vs how new versions of Evernote syncs. Anyway, I'll be very careful with how I use Evernote in the future... 

Is there anyway (for a non-premium user) to retrieve old notes?

• 4 weeks later...

This just happened to me too, but after my android app was updated. A note was replaced by a several weeks older version. This is obviously really disturbing and makes me think about the reliability of EN for important notes and documents...

Perhaps I should start backup more often as an alternative to premium.

• 2 years later...

Me too. I opened Evernote on my iPhone yesterday after not having used it on that device for quite a while. I didn't even change anything, just viewed one note. Now, today, I open Evernote on my desktop which I use, and sync, everyday and realized at least one of my notes is very old and I didn't even open this note on my iPhone. Who knows what other notes have also been affected.

It used to be that I would get sync errors and had to manual resolve them. Now, it just overwrites my data. Horrible!

Archived