(Archived) Why I'm not switching to Evernote

Hi Evernote and users,

I've been using Microsoft OneNote 2007 for a while now, but it's fairly clunky and I was looking for something smoother to replace it. So I gave Evernote a chance, but a number of things are going to stop me from making the switch. This may be buried, but if some of the following changes were implemented I would happily make the switch and maybe others would too.

• Zoom in and out using Ctrl+Scroll: I use my notes like pieces of paper; they can get quite long. I want to be able to zoom out so I can find where I am in my note. Easiest way is with Ctrl and the mouse scroll wheel.
  • Insert > Screen Clipping: At the moment it seems I have to do a screen clipping while holding Ctrl and then paste into my note. This isn't ideal. Plus, on the Windows 8 version there's no option in the Options box to set a hotkey for screen clipping (only for screenshot).
  • Simple resizing of images: When I hover over a picture in my note I want a resize option on the corner that I can just drag.
  • List view on the left: Give me the ability to put the list view of notes down the left side of my screen like the Snippet view, and then let me drag the outer edge of that panel as far to the left as I want it; this opens up the note - it gives me more room to work!

This is pretty much all that is keeping me from switching. I don't even think these things are so much to ask - they should come standard.

Thanks,

J

• Level 5*

Hi Evernote and users,

I've been using Microsoft OneNote 2007 for a while now, but it's fairly clunky and I was looking for something smoother to replace it. So I gave Evernote a chance, but a number of things are going to stop me from making the switch. This may be buried, but if some of the following changes were implemented I would happily make the switch and maybe others would too.

• Zoom in and out using Ctrl+Scroll: I use my notes like pieces of paper; they can get quite long. I want to be able to zoom out so I can find where I am in my note. Easiest way is with Ctrl and the mouse scroll wheel.
  • Insert > Screen Clipping: At the moment it seems I have to do a screen clipping while holding Ctrl and then paste into my note. This isn't ideal. Plus, on the Windows 8 version there's no option in the Options box to set a hotkey for screen clipping (only for screenshot).
  • Simple resizing of images: When I hover over a picture in my note I want a resize option on the corner that I can just drag.
  • List view on the left: Give me the ability to put the list view of notes down the left side of my screen like the Snippet view, and then let me drag the outer edge of that panel as far to the left as I want it; this opens up the note - it gives me more room to work!

This is pretty much all that is keeping me from switching. I don't even think these things are so much to ask - they should come standard.

Thanks,

J

Hi. Welcome to the forums. Thanks for the feedback. 

It sounds like you are using Windows. If so, then you do have a vertical list view. The Windows shortcut key is Ctrl+Shift+F5.

On on our Windows Desktop version, to get to the left-hand list view, hit Ctrl+Shift+F5 (shortcut key).

If you have Skitch installed, the Screen Clip/Resizing works pretty well. 

I don't use a mouse with a scroll wheel, so I wouldn't be able to speak to the ease of the first.

Welcome to the forum :)

1. Zoom.

I don't know how much discussion there has been on this one (from the point of view of EN) and I don't really know how it would work either, but a good discussion point nonetheless. Being able to zoom is something that I think I would use, if it were there.

2. Insert Clipping - I am not exactly sure what you would want here, it seems that the current method you are describing is the solution?

(Hotkey to clip screen - hold ctrl to put it into clipboard - paste into note)

How would this work for you?

3. Resizing - This is something that is possible to do in the ENML code (height/width definitions), and so hopefully one day there would be the option to resize images in EN at some point in the future.

It is possible in the Web client (where it may be easier to implement I guess) - Edit the note and click on an image.

4. Vertical list view

A hot topic, with a somewhat hidden shortcut outcome.

There was an addition to EN a while back which wasn't shown too much, but you can have a vertical list view (only in the Windows client) by shift clicking on list view in the view options or pressing CTRL + Shift + F5

https://www.evernote.com/pub/spgscott/evernote-help#b=ca136823-f4bd-45ef-9b71-4e942a351b16&st=p&n=b5cd58ca-18fc-4088-8206-0d6ccedabea7

Scott

EDIT: I type too much and too slow... :P

• Level 5*

Windows and scrolly person here - and no,  it doesn't work.  There's no zoom manually or otherwise in the desktop client - haven't tried the web version.

The web version does this because the zooming is down by the browser, and I think it's pretty much universal across browsers, too.

Thanks for the tips all,

2. I actually don't mind so much the screen clipping with ctrl + paste solution I've been using, if only I could figure out how to define a hotkey for it in this Windows 8 version. Under Tools > Options > Hotkeys there is no option there, so I have to right click the tray icon.

3. I had a look and see that resizing works in the web client, exactly like I want. It would be nice if the same functionality were in the windows install.

4. Vertical list view - mostly solved, great, but it would be nice if I could pull the edge of the box across a bit more, because really all I care about is the title for navigation.

I also tried skitch and it seems pretty cool - it will also let me sketch with my wacom bamboo tablet.

Now if 1. is implemented - the zooming in and out - I'll be completely sold! It's the only thing holding me back.

J

• Level 5*

Thanks for the tips all,

2. I actually don't mind so much the screen clipping with ctrl + paste solution I've been using, if only I could figure out how to define a hotkey for it in this Windows 8 version. Under Tools > Options > Hotkeys there is no option there, so I have to right click the tray icon.

3. I had a look and see that resizing works in the web client, exactly like I want. It would be nice if the same functionality were in the windows install.

4. Vertical list view - mostly solved, great, but it would be nice if I could pull the edge of the box across a bit more, because really all I care about is the title for navigation.

I also tried skitch and it seems pretty cool - it will also let me sketch with my wacom bamboo tablet.

Now if 1. is implemented - the zooming in and out - I'll be completely sold! It's the only thing holding me back.

J

I've had no problem resizing the list view as needed (I am a title guy myself). Please fiddle around more with it, or let us know exactly what is not working for you.

Archived