(Archived) Multi-part clips

How do people clip multi-part articles? Sometimes there is a Print Entire Article link, but usually there isn't, and it is a pain to repeatedly cut'n'paste to get multiple notes into one note for the article. I know it must be simple, since it comes up all the time, but I couldn't find it in docs or searches, hence the question.

-amb

I highly recommend a multiple clipboard utility. There are many out there for Windows, Mac and Linux. Then you can copy, copy, copy, and then go to Evernote and paste, paste, paste. Much faster.

On Windows (at least), you can merge notes together. So, clip a bunch of stuff to separate (consecutive) notes, and then merge them. Note that merging creates a new note (with the current date and time), so make sure to merge your notes together before clipping on a new topic if the creation date/time is important.

On Windows (at least), you can merge notes together. So, clip a bunch of stuff to separate (consecutive) notes, and then merge them. Note that merging creates a new note (with the current date and time), so make sure to merge your notes together before clipping on a new topic if the creation date/time is important.

Wow. I did not realize you could merge notes. Very cool. This will really help solve some organizational hurdles for me.

I had a meeting today and used the white board extensively. I took photos of the white board with my phone and e-mailed the pics to Evernote address. I spent much of the day showing co-workers the nifty trick of text recognition in EN, and searching on terms in the white board shots.

The only complaint I had was that I was stuck with one meeting notes note and five different notes with photos. They were all for the same meeting, so I made sure to tag them exactly the same. I knew I could have cut and pasted each photo into the main meeting note, but I also knew I wouldn't want to do that every time I had related photos/documents, etc.

And whaddya know... All I had to do was select all the notes (meeting notes + photo notes), right-click and select Merge. Wow. Evernote continues to impress me. (and after today, I think EN has three new users in my office)

Oh no...

I just noticed that merging clips does NOT retain the source URL. While this might be OK for the example given earlier in this thread (clipping a story that spans multiple pages), it's terrible for creating a centralized resource note in EN.

For example, today, I wanted to have a reference page for Evernote security. I clipped a relevant blurb from the security thread (viewtopic.php?f=37&t=8439). Later, I clipped some text from the blog post about security: http://blog.evernote.com/2008/04/15/eve ... -security/

I decided that it made sense to keep a note titled Evernote Security in my Reference notebook, so I merged the two notes. I immediately noticed that only the text was merged, so I lost the source URL for the second note.

While this isn't a huge deal for this particular example (the blog post is referenced in the forum post, and I just copied and pasted the blog post URL), this will really hamper building up a reference page or any type of bibliography document for research. It almost forces the user to go back to multiple notes.

Please consider including the source URL of a note when merging. I don't care if it's above the text, below the text, whatever. Ideally, I'd like to see behavior similar to the Firefox Add-on Copy URLs +:

Evernote Blog » Blog Archive » Evernote Privacy and Security

"This means that your notes are stored in a private, locked cage at a guarded data center that can only be accessed by a small number of Evernote operations personnel. Administrative maintenance on these servers can only be performed through secure, encrypted communications by the same set of people. All network access to these servers is similarly protected by a set of firewalls and hardened servers. Your login information is only transmitted to the servers in encrypted form over SSL, and your passwords are not directly stored on any of our systems."

http://blog.evernote.com/2008/04/15/eve ... -security/

Which includes the page title, the selected/copied text, and the source URL.

Adding a simple separator between merged notes would be nice, too. (a line of dashes or something)

But even just the source URL would suffice.

Please consider including the source URL of a note when merging. I don't care if it's above the text, below the text, whatever. Ideally, I'd like to see behavior similar to the Firefox Add-on Copy URLs +:

In case you haven't been following the forum for very long...this behaviour actually did exist when EN3 first arrived - you'd have a clip, then a line with a source link underneath it. However, at some point, the EN team decided that the source URL would be a separate "attribute" so to speak, and removed the line and source link. The end result is that merging notes loses all but the first source link.

There were some (bitter) complaints, but no resolution. Mental note: only use merge when dealing with one source. Sorry, I should have remembered to point that out earlier ;)

Thanks for the patient explanation. I'm trying to catch up and read through older threads, but I haven't seen everything. Count me in as a bitter complainer! :wink: I don't comprehend why this feature was there and then taken away - when there wasn't a major version change. (I can understand a change like this going from 2.x to 3.x and/or a major architecture change). How could this be taken away? I'll go look for the older thread.

[edit]: found the thread you were talking about, reading through it now.

Archived