Sections?

I am revisiting using Evernote due to my testing of an online GTD application's (IQTEL) integration with EN.

I have previously relied on OneNote.

For the life of me I am missing the inclusion of sections within the structure of Notebook / Section / Pages. I would use this to set up items like Projects / Name / Individual items.

Does anyone else who converted over from ON struggle with the lack of this level of organization?

• Level 5*

I was never a OneNote power user, but are you talking about 'folders' or something analagous to them? There's a lot of debate in the forums about folder hierarchy -vs- tags, and while some seem to hiccup over this at one time or another, tags allow you to type a note and then assign it to whichever section you'd like. There is also the option to set up a stack of notebooks, so if necessary each notebook in the stack could be a separate 'section' holder. It achieves the same result through different means. I think.

Another example is I have a OneNote Notebook titled "Reports". Within the notebook are "sections" listed on tabs at the top with the name of each report. Down the right side are tabs "pages" with dates for each report.

Evernote seems to be be set up to create one one notebook entitled reports in which you dump 15 different reports with up to 52 different pages. You can't really scroll down to the report you want to see.

Another example is I have a OneNote Notebook titled "Reports". Within the notebook are "sections" listed on tabs at the top with the name of each report. Down the right side are tabs "pages" with dates for each report.

Evernote seems to be be set up to create one one notebook entitled reports in which you dump 15 different reports with up to 52 different pages. You can't really scroll down to the report you want to see.

Please search the board on tags vs sub notebooks/folders. As Gaz mentioned, this has been discussed a lot already. In a nutshell, between using tags, notebooks, stacks, keywords & descriptive titles, it's VERY easy to filter for the notes you are looking for.

• 1 year later...

+1.  I miss this feature from my OneNote days.  Although there are ways of using tags etc which can help, I like to organize information spatially.  It's not just about being organized, it's about creating meaning from information.  Spatial organization helps me bring meaning to notes.

EN does a great job of helping me capture and find info, but I wish EN did a better job of helping me create meaning out of my notes.  Spatial organization is one thing that would help.  Other features that would help are:

• Enabling me to make mindmaps in notes
  • Enabling me to start typing anywhere on a page
  • Quick drawing tools

Archived