(Archived) Evernote Demo

• Level 5*

I played with an iPad Mini today (I don't want one yet, but it was there, asking for me to pick it up) and saw Evernote on it. Strangely, it was the previous version of the app with the old interface. It turns out that this was a demo app. Cool. I guess we know another small project that has kept the iOS team busy.

Are these demo apps new this year, or is this something we see on other devices? I haven't checked out all of the Android stuff yet, but I don't recall seeing it on anything in the past. I didn't find it on the Surface either.

I was doing the exact same thing recently. I, too, managed to get away without making a purchase this time.

Anyway, I believe Apple bundles theses apps into some sort of install script and put them on demo devices (possibly before they reach the store, not sure if that's how it works out). Apparently, the bundle hasn't been updated for a while. So it's simply just a regular, but older, version of Evernote for iOS.

They had Evernote demo on the iPad 4's when I bought mine as well.

But why would you want an iPad Mini? There is very little saving for a smaller less specified product that won't fit in your pocket anyway.

Regards

Chris

But why would you want an iPad Mini? There is very little saving for a smaller less specified product that won't fit in your pocket anyway.

I agree that Apple's asking price for the mini is ridiculous and contradictory to "making it available to more people" or however Tim Cook put it. I do ponder getting one anyway - it's all about use case, really.

I bought the original iPad to use it for presentations with Keynote (it's brilliant) and/or as a replacement for a paper manuscript. I often find I have to hold the device in my hands while doing presentations/giving speeches (no place to put it, so I can see it) - with the iPad mini you could still have one hand free and not have to deal with how heavy an iPad feels after juggling it around for 30-45 minutes (iPhone is too small. I tried. It did not work out very well).

Also, it does fit in a jacket pocket, a regular iPad does not.

Granted, I'd still prefer a regular sized iPad for mail, browsing and youtube watching which is what I use it for secondarily.

I remember going for an interview some years ago. I had a Sharp Organiser with me which had notes, diary and calendar. Towards the end of the interview they asked what I thought of this kind of device and how it was going to develop over the years.

I replied that it had already reached the smallest size it could and that over the years the product would get bigger. This was proven right as many companies tried to come out with ever smaller devices that could do ever larger and more complicated things and they failed.

So today we have the iPad which I believe is about the right size. I have two Sony eReaders and can see that these are too small after using the iPad to read. I have a Samsung Galaxy SII and have wished it to be just a little larger for some time. Using Evernote on a phone is, for me restrictive. The iPad is great, but when you are on the road, you want something you can carry around easily and put in your pocket. The iPad mini is just too large for this, but the new Samsung Galaxy Note II seems to fit the bill.

Regards

Chris

• Level 5*

Choice is nice. Having three iPod sizes to choose from (small Touch, medium Mini, and large "new") opens up a lot of possibilities.

I am not terribly keen on the Mini myself, and a little disappointed to see a screen (at least in terms of resolution) from circa 2007 (the first gen iPod), and a processor from circa 2011 in a new Apple product for an exorbiant sum. However, it has its merits, and I expect this will give a lot of folks a more enticing entey point into the Appleverse besides the rather small Touch, which isn't great for tiny hands (kids) or working people, who already have phones that size.

In terms of Evernote, it is cool to see Evernote bundled into a brand new product front and center. I think it would be great if it also came bundled on Android and Windows, because (as the Evernote developers proudly proclaim) the apps tend to leverage the capabilities of the OS and device to create a unique product. This is pretty cool for people who want to get the most out of their devices, and I think it would be good for everyone -- consumers see their new product shine and Evernote might get some more customers. I'd be interested to know if Evernote is on every Chinese device. If so, then expect that 45 million user number to double in 2013 :)

Archived