(Archived) Evernote security in a corporate network

For the first time since I started using Evernote (a looong time ago), I find myself working in an environment in which Evernote is blocked. I asked if I could have access - seeing as I have years worth of useful code snippets etc in there - and was told no, because it wasn't secure.

The same crew do allow access to Hotmail, Gmail etc, so I suspect it's more a case of allowing stuff the network bods use themselves and blocking everything else but, hey, it's their party etc.

Still, is there an FAQ I can point people to to explain the security that Evernote offers? Not for this lot, as they've obviously made their decision, but maybe to show folks in the future.

Mark

• Level 5

Here are a few links.

It might be too early to discuss, but I wonder if there will be any difference in security between

the new Evernote Business program

https://evernote.com...ty_and_privacy/

and

the plain vanilla Evernote?

http://blog.evernote...ata-protection/

The latest comments I recall seeing indicate there won't be any difference, but I bet the pressure from corporations will be hard to resist.

Here is some security info that I consider out-of-date, but might still be applicable.

http://blog.evernote...y-and-security/

• Level 5

Security - as an employer like mine would see it - and Evernote is a bit difficult: I can't put Confidential stuff in Evernote, likewise Customer-related stuff. I suspect one day Evernote will want to sell to large corporations (like the one I work for) and will have to address such things.

Security - as an employer like mine would see it - and Evernote is a bit difficult: I can't put Confidential stuff in Evernote, likewise Customer-related stuff. I suspect one day Evernote will want to sell to large corporations (like the one I work for) and will have to address such things.

Yep, and I totally understand and respect that they wouldn't want confidential stuff I'm my Evernote account. However, I do have over 10 years worth of very handy code snippets and other useful info that can help me in my day to day work.

Of course, there's nothing stopping me looking that up on my iPhone whilst at lunch and emailing it to myself...

• Level 5*

Yep, and I totally understand and respect that they wouldn't want confidential stuff I'm my Evernote account. However, I do have over 10 years worth of very handy code snippets and other useful info that can help me in my day to day work.

Of course, there's nothing stopping me looking that up on my iPhone whilst at lunch and emailing it to myself...

You might find this post of some help. It compares / contrasts Evernote with email services, and explains some of the approaches that Evernote has taken to security issues like those raised in this thread.

• Level 5

And one more link from an article in Computerworld that addresses security in the enterprise world

A quote from the Evernote CEO, Phil Libin, to Computerworld in April 2012.

I wonder how long he will maintain this position.

"I think companies that are not comfortable using the cloud aren't going to be Evernote customers," Libin said. While he estimated that may eliminate 50 percent of potential corporate business, he expects that more companies are going to get comfortable using cloud products in the future. Libin isn't expecting to sell to financial institutions since, he said, that is the industry least likely to purchase cloud products at the moment. However, the creative industry is already using a lot of cloud products, he added. "I think the opportunity is huge," Libin said.

http://www.computerw...ol_for_business

• Level 5

@jbenson2 Thanks for that. The word "cloud" is operative here, and it's obviously not just Evernote's problem: Until cloud services somehow earn "trusted" status then their appeal to corporate customers will be limited. As is widely known, I think, I don't work for a financial institution (though I do work with them on a daily basis) but my industry (IT) would side with them. And so would quite a few others, if they stopped to think about it.

Cloud's going to have to grow up: Evernote can be a leader or not. It's very much its choice. In the meantime some of us have to make clear distinctions between what we can put in it and what we can't.

• Level 5*

Enterprise security is a marvelous thing - working on a project last year with a multi billion dollar multinational enterprise and jumping through hoops to get a new iPad application to meet their security requirements, one of my developers was inside their network and accessing a server within 10 minutes without any of the required access tools.

Getting the balance between security and usefulness is a major challenge in these organisations and one that I see most of the largest losing at the moment.

Archived