(Archived) Import Folders

Does this feature work correctly? I am having a few problems:

1) Not all files get pulled into Evernote

2) When I make changes, the changes are not reflected in Evernote.

3) Files are not deleted after being pulled into Evernote, despite the setting for that feature being set correctly.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Does this feature work correctly? I am having a few problems:

3) Files are not deleted after being pulled into Evernote, despite the setting for that feature being set correctly.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

You may find this thread helpful.

• Level 5*

Are the files too big / named incorrectly?

If you attach a file to a note, the Evernote version is a separate 'clone'; it's probably good practice to set the Import Folder to automatically delete files after they're processed to avoid the temptation to make further changes in the HDD copy. Just double-click the icon in Evernote to open the file in your local software.

If the file is in use by another process it won't be deleted - make sure you close whatever software you used to create/ edit the file last if this is an issue. (I get issues with nosy AV software sometimes..)

Check that the file has been imported and delete the file manually if necessary.

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Mr Evernote,

Why does file import only go one subfolder deep? I have all my documents neatly ordered and structured on my main home network storage device - I want to sync these with Evernote so I can use all your excellently written and well designed functionality. As a premium user, I expected this to come out of the box when I read about the feature on a blog.

However, to get my documents to import into Evernote I need to copy them all into a new folder structure which is at most one folder deep. I am intrigued to understand this limitation? My dropbox account (which I use for online storage rather than using the superior document features of Evernote) works very nicely with multiple folders.

Please, please, please can you remove the limitation of one folder deep? Or at least explain why it is so, and then I shall be quiet for evermore.

Thanks, Tomski

• Level 5*

Hi - welcome to the forums. Have a search in here for the discussions on tags vs folders. There has been a lot of comment. Basically Evernote has been designed, and operates on the basis that all your documents are in one folder but can be reliably tied together by 'tags' or by the search function. This means that if you ever have any doubts about where you should file something - is this a work receipt or a private one? A household food receipt or an 'eating out' trophy? In case of doubt, tag it with all of them, and you will build up a virtual folder containing all the documents you need (and probably a few you don't, but you can always edit tags...)

The OCR function and search utility are also very good, so seek for tags or for content and ye shall usually find.

It's a bit of a culture shock, but you'll probably quickly get used to it. And your folder structure is easily transportable - just use your folder names as tags. Nested folders get longer tag names - "<parent folder>-<child1> - <child2>..."

The best way to test all this out is to experiment; try running your 'normal' folder scheme alongside a folder or two saved into Evernote.

• Level 5*
Why does file import only go one subfolder deep? I have all my documents neatly ordered and structured on my main home network storage device - I want to sync these with Evernote so I can use all your excellently written and well designed functionality. As a premium user, I expected this to come out of the box when I read about the feature on a blog.

Was fully nested folder import promised in this blog article?

However, to get my documents to import into Evernote I need to copy them all into a new folder structure which is at most one folder deep. I am intrigued to understand this limitation? My dropbox account (which I use for online storage rather than using the superior document features of Evernote) works very nicely with multiple folders.

But Dropbox isn't Evernote. Dropbox is expressly designed to mirror a file structure on separate devices. Evernote is not; it's expressly designed to mirror Evernote's structure on separate devices. Evernote's structure is expressed in terms of notebooks, not arbitrarily nested folders. The import system is a tool that helps you move content into Evernote, and it's more set up as a location where file additions are monitored so they can be automatically pulled into Evernote.

Please, please, please can you remove the limitation of one folder deep? Or at least explain why it is so, and then I shall be quiet for evermore.

It's designed the way it is, and that's all we users really know; there may be some discussion of the design that happened in the previous forum -- I seem to recall Dave Engberg commenting on it -- but most of its contents are no longer available.

That being said, it's not a huge feat to get a nested tree of files pulled into Evernote, at least in Windows, though you'd probably need to use the command prompt or PowerShell, in conjunction with the Evernote-provided ENScript tool to do so.

It's designed the way it is, and that's all we users really know; there may be some discussion of the design that happened in the previous forum -- I seem to recall Dave Engberg commenting on it -- but most of its contents are no longer available.

https://www.evernote...3b85990a72bb09b

In addition to what Dave said (but in a similar vein), it may be easy for people to add an import folder & not realize it will max out their monthly upload. So they are being proactive.

Archived