(Archived) request: tagging similiar to onenote

im a onenote convert who used the tagging feature alot. i miss being able to tag a word or group of words in a note, and later being able to bring up that tag and only see those items tagged.

for instance, i use evernote in my aircraft maintenance business. i'll have a note for each open job, which i can update via iPad, android, web, you get the idea. included in the note would be parts i need to order to complete a job. lets say i need to order a specific tire. i would love to be able tag the tire part number with the tag 'parts to order'. then when i bring up that tag, a list of all my parts i need to order, including the tire, is displayed in front of me. once ordered i can change the tag to 'parts ordered'.

i admit im new to evernote, so this may be something that the program is capable of now, but from my experience the tagging feature brings up the whole note, not the tagged contents.

maybe a third party app?

• Level 5*

Hi - welcome to the Forum. I don't believe there are any apps, and there's certainly no direct way to 'tag' items in the way you describe. Searches and links come up with the beginning of the note, not the item(s) searched. The only possible workaround I can think of would be to post all the jobs with parts orders into a 'parts required' notebook, and to start all those notes with a list of the part details so a snippet view might include all you need...

Evernote is always being upgraded, so new features may help more; but at present there's no magic wand - sorry!

• Level 5*
for instance, i use evernote in my aircraft maintenance business. i'll have a note for each open job, which i can update via iPad, android, web, you get the idea. included in the note would be parts i need to order to complete a job. lets say i need to order a specific tire. i would love to be able tag the tire part number with the tag 'parts to order'. then when i bring up that tag, a list of all my parts i need to order, including the tire, is displayed in front of me. once ordered i can change the tag to 'parts ordered'.

. . .

maybe a third party app?

Your best bet using Evernote is to put each part in a separate Note.

I realize that has some disadvantages, mostly in creating the initial list of parts to order.

If you wish, after you have created the individual Notes for each part, you can create one Note which is a master list of parts, and easily create links to each part/note by drag-n-drop or right-click and paste.

But by using tags, you can easily get a list of all parts to order, parts ordered, parts received, etc.

I use this approach for orders/purchases I make on the Internet, and it works pretty well.

For example, I would create the following tags:

• Parts
  • Status
    • ST.To_Order
    • ST.Ordered
    • ST.Received
    • ST.Paid
    • ST.Installed
    • ST.Closed

This list is just an example and you will need to adjust to meet your needs.

I used upper case only for readability. Tag names in Search expressions are case insensitive.

I also avoided the use of spaces in the Tag name so that I don't have to put the tag name in quotes when searching.

All of the tags that start with "ST." are sub-tags to the parent tag "Status".

I use the prefex of "ST." to make it easy to search/select the tag from the EN drop-down lists.

Any time you need to select/enter a tag, if you type just "ST." EN will show a drop-down list of only those tags that start with "ST.", making it easy for you to select the tag you want.

So when you create a Note for a part to be ordered, you can set these tags:

• Parts
  • ST.To_Order
  • You may also want to assign a tag for the Project (Project Name or ID).

As your parts list is processed you can change the tag used for status accordingly.

Using the Tag filter on the Fav Bar, Search Expression, or Tag List in the Left Panel, you can easily search/filter for the list of parts with the status of interest.

You can decide whether to indicate the Project for the part using either a Notebook or a Tag.

Both have their advantages but many people ultimately find Tags to be more useful.

You have a limit of 250 Notebooks, whereas Tags are virtually unlimited (around 10,000 I think).

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Good luck, and feel free to ask more questions if you need to.

I like your work around.. But I like the tagging too.

When testing onenote you could tag a line to discuss with person x, then you going into a meeting and you can easily find the sections you need to discuss with them.

Tagging the whole note is ok. But it is just not as good.

Why did you leave Onenote ? Just curious. I am still trying to figure which solution to use (Evernote, Onenote or Springpad). Each has + and -.

i use an ipad in the shop to manage jobs, and the onenote app is formatted for the iphone and is pathetic at that. evernote works great across multiple platforms. otherwise onenote is superior in every other way. in the longrun its even cheaper.

• Level 5*

It's just a matter of time until one of the sleeping giants like Microsoft wake up and provide OneNote type capability across most/all of the platforms. That will provide serious competition for Evernote, which is good. Competition makes all products better (or they are discontinued).

DropBox is a great example of this. They were the leaders in economical cloud storage, and had years head start.

Now they are struggling to stay competitive with the advent of Google Drive and MS SkyDrive.

• 2 months later...
  • Level 5*

Not sure what you mean by "Evernote 5", since all clients have their own version numbering scheme. Anyways, nobody but the developers know for sure, but it would be a pretty major overhaul of all the clients. I wouldn't expect it. Tags are labels for notes only.

• 1 month later...

Automatic keyword categories is the answer to many tagging/searching/mining problems, as it was implemented in Evernote v2.2. but neglected in version 4. That's why we at our office in Amsterdam in the Netherlands, still use EN2 at our Windows7 systems integrated with Office2010 Outlook (32bit ), for its unparalleled power. Version 4 is not even close (no other systems!) mainly due to the lack of the most powerful feature of EN2, automatically tag and categorize notes. We consider EN2 far from the end of his lifecycle. Unless of course version 4 will catch up!

5-12-2012%2010-27-44.png

Archived