Web clipping with Evernote on iOS

I use Evernote mostly on iOS and wanted to share my thoughts on web clipping on iPad/iPhone and what is the best way to do it in my view.

Even though there is no obvious way to clip stuff on iOS it could still be done with just as much convenience as on the desktop.

The best way to add/clip stuff to Evernote depends on what you want to clip.

For example you might want to clip the whole webpage or clip only the article from the page, or maybe even clip lots of different things from a single or multiple sources into a single note.

Here’s a video I made about web clipping on iOS

To cut the story short, here is what I think is the best for each use case:

to clip lots of different things from a single or multiple sources into a single note:

Personally I prefer to just use email for this. Emailing stuff to Evernote is probably the simplest way to add/clip things because it doesn’t require any additional third party apps or bookmarklets.

to clip the whole webpage or only the article:

Use EverWebClipper (HD) app and its bookmarklet in Safari.

EverWebClipper HD

EverWebClipper HD combines the power of Safari bookmarklet with a third party app and the result is the fastest and the most convenient way to save whole webpages to Evernote on iOS.

a quote from

http://www.macstorie...everwebclipper/

Where EverWebClipper really wins over Evernote’s standard clipper (not optimized for mobile and terrible to use in Safari) is the actual clipping process. It’s entirely automated: you can install a bookmarklet in Safari and save webpages with one tap. This happens thanks to the app’s Automation settings, which enable you to tap on the bookmarklet, and have Safari automatically return in the foreground while EverWebClipper completes the saving process. You can return to Safari “immediately” or “after clipping” — if you choose immediately, the app will send a local notification when it’s done clipping.

• 2 months later...

EverWebClipper is great - thanks for your informative video! I used it for a while, but don't like having to switch between the browser and the App constantly.

Dolphin Browser is working on integrating Evernote Web Clipping directly in the browser, so it'll help to simplify the process of web clipping. You're very knowledgable on the topic - if you have anything you'd like to see from this integration, let us know over at this forum post! :)

In order to benefit from the integration of Evernote WebClipper in Dolphin, you need to... well... switch to Dolphin browser.

The advantage of EverWebClipper is that it's a universal app which integrates with the default Safari and other browsers via bookmarklet, which is pretty clever, but I agree that it'd be better to have the functionality built right into the browser.

So I've tried Dolphin and I like it. I'm going to use Dolphin now because I actually found it to be better than Safari or Chrome.

I like swipe gestures to open Tab Bar/Bookmarks at sides of the screen when I'm in fullscreen mode, that's pretty cool use of touch screen interface. Also the ability to "Close all other tabs" is nice.

Btw EverWebClipper can also work with Dolphin as long as you're on a jailbroken iOS device and use Browser Changer tweak from Cydia to set Dolphin as the default browser, this way EverWebClipper would automatically switch you to Dolphin instead of Safari. This is what I'm going to do for now. Looking forward for the Evernote WebClipper integration. You're doing great job. :)

In order to benefit from the integration of Evernote WebClipper in Dolphin, you need to... well... switch to Dolphin browser.

The advantage of EverWebClipper is that it's a universal app which integrates with the default Safari and other browsers via bookmarklet, which is pretty clever, but I agree that it'd be better to have the functionality built right into the browser.

So I've tried Dolphin and I like it. I'm going to use Dolphin now because I actually found it to be better than Safari or Chrome.

I like swipe gestures to open Tab Bar/Bookmarks at sides of the screen when I'm in fullscreen mode, that's pretty cool use of touch screen interface. Also the ability to "Close all other tabs" is nice.

Btw EverWebClipper can also work with Dolphin as long as you're on a jailbroken iOS device and use Browser Changer tweak from Cydia to set Dolphin as the default browser, this way EverWebClipper would automatically switch you to Dolphin instead of Safari. This is what I'm going to do for now. Looking forward for the Evernote WebClipper integration. You're doing great job. :)

Thanks for your feedback! Glad to hear you're liking Dolphin and found a way to work around that pesky iOS default browser issue ;)

Stay tuned for more info on the Dolphin-EN integration front - would love to have you beta test when it's available!

Is there a quick way to port one's bookmarks from Safari to Dolphin?

Hi JonnyBoy,

Unfortunately, no, there's no quick way to port your bookmarks from Safari to Dolphin right now, but this has definitely been a popular user request. Stayed tuned!

Thanks for the reply. Good to hear it is being worked on.

• 4 months later...

Let me be clear: I LOVE the Evernote desktop app.

But the (Evernote "official") support for clipping from iOS devices to Evernote is… how can I say this without being censored…APPALLING. Yes, we all know that mobile Safari (or any other iOS browser that I'm aware of) doesn't support desktop-style bookmarklets (Evernote's official supported method for clipping from desktop browsers), but that's been true for… uhm… more than 5 years now. 

From this post and what I can find looking elsewhere on the web, EverWebClipper looks like it does backward flips to do what Evernote should be providing for free. (And 

—unfortunately for the developer—it's very difficult to configure his app because of the backflips he's had to do, according to the not-so-great reviews on the iTunes App Store.)

I see that the developers over at the Dolphin mobile browser have addressed this ridiculous Evernote shortcoming (and kudos to them; their implementation looks spot-on), but it shouldn't be up to a third party to provide such basic functionality. (BTW, Dolphin looks pretty awesome. I've used it, but happen to prefer Grazing; what am I to do?)

Maybe instead of buying perfectly wonderful apps and ruining them, Evernote should be focusing on improving the functionality of their existing suite of software. 

• 6 months later...

I am SO frustrated with Evernote regarding this! I got the app figuring that this new "designed for iOS" app would be at least as useful and convenient as the desktop app... Boy was i wrong. Not including a Safari or Chrome enabled web clipper makes Evernote 99% useless to me. As someone who almost exclusively uses Evernote to tag and make notes on web pages and online articles or research I assumed that I would be able to continue doing the same on my new ipad. But NO instead of the convenience of being able to quickly make a note of a page I'm browsing Evernote thinks it is acceptable to have to make me open up their app, cut and paste the site I'm visiting into it and THEN add the note. They have taken a simple one click process and turned it into a whole complicated operation - saying nothing about how long I've had to Google forums just to discover this complex workaround. Evernote you have ruined the ONE thing I use your service for. At this point I am just going to give up and rely on old school bookmarking until an actual convenient one or two tap solution is presented.

Extremely in happy user

• 1 year later...

I am so frustrated by EverWebClipper which doesn't work in a few important respects. Basically, if you have to log into a website then the app is unable to 'see' the page you want to clip.

For example, you buy something on the Internet and you want to clip the page that shows your receipt, or perhaps registration information. EverWebClipper is useless for this.

Archived