(Archived) BUG: Searching for Attachments in EN Mac 3.2.0 Beta 2

JMichaelTX

Idea

• Level 5*

There appears to be a bug in Searching for Attachments in EN Mac 3.2.0 Beta 2.

When I use the UI to search for attachments (Attributes > Contains > Attachments) it returns 152 Notes.

When I use the Search expression "resource:application/pdf" it returns 250 Notes.

How can this be?

Prior to both searches I clicked on "All Notes" to ensure that no other filters were active.

EDIT:

This appears to be a general Search engine issue. I get the same results when I search using the EN Web client.

9 replies to this idea

Interesting...another search term that I was not aware of...

Attributes > Contains > Attachments searches using the syntax: attachment:true

resource:application/pdf is obviously only pdf files.

Looking at the search results, it appears that attachment:true returns notes that have attachments that are NOT pdf, or images

So non standard attachments with regards to Evernote definition of attachments. (e.g. it returned enex, xps, doc, ppt, ps etc...)

I guess the question is, should attachment:true include pdf and/or images?

EDIT: attachment is singular, not plural, my mistake.

• Level 5*

Attributes > Contains > Attachments searches using the syntax: attachments:true

. . .

Looking at the search results, it appears that attachments:true returns notes that have attachments that are NOT pdf, or images

What EN client are you using to determine this?

When I put "attachments:true" in the Search box of the EN Web client it does NOT find any notes.

When I click on the EN Web Search "filters" choice, and then check the box for Contains > Attachments, it puts "Contains:attachments" in the Search box.

Executing this returns Notes that include a PDF as the only attachment.

So we are seeing very different results.

It is attachment, not attachments. (singular, not plural) Sorry, that was my mistake.

Windows client, and using the option to save search, which allows me to see the exact search terms used.

(This is via button on the search explanation bar, but the same can be achieved via File - New saved search)

• Level 5*

OK, EN Web accepts "attachment:true", but converts it to a "button" that reads "Contains: Attachments".

This does return 152 Notes, including Notes that a PDF is the ONLY attachment.

The EN Web client is very confusing. Although the converts to "Contains: Attachments" if I clear the Search box, and then TYPE in "contains:attachments" it does NOT find any notes.

I don't know who is designing the UI for Search across all clients, but it is a poor design, IMO.

Come on Evernote, Search MUST work the same across ALL clients. This is basic design 101.

OK, EN Web accepts "attachment:true", but converts it to a "button" that reads "Contains: Attachments".

This does return 152 Notes, including Notes that a PDF is the ONLY attachment.

Odd, no pdf notes are included for me...

The EN Web client is very confusing. Although the converts to "Contains: Attachments" if I clear the Search box, and then TYPE in "contains:attachments" it does NOT find any notes.

I agree, I thought the same when testing that...

Attachment search is pretty weird/undocumented in Evernote.

According to this article it's not possible to search for attachments using string notation eg (searchtype:<expression>).

https://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#/article/23245321

Also I find "contains:attachments" produces zero results for me (Latest OSX Version) even though I have hundreds of documents with attachments.

Lastly, using attachments:true results in finding only 10 documents (it ignores all the docs with PDF attachments).

• Level 5

Late to the thread, however I have better success with :

resource:application/*

Or just PDF's:
resource:application/PDF

Or attachments without PDF's:
resource:application/* -resource:application/PDF

The search results are identical for me in EN desktop and EN Web.

Other resource examples (parsed from resources within the app):

An even more full list is:

resource:*

But that pulls up items with just embedded/inline graphics as well.

On the other hand it also pulls up items with .ics calendar attachments which resource:application does not.

On the other hand resource:text/calendar can pull those up, or just resource:text/* to fetch all .txt .html .xml .ics .ical type attachments

Archived