Non-GTD methodologies in Evernote

Joshua Zerkel

GTD is, for many, the current productivity methodology of choice for many of you. But as with all things, it's not the right fit for everyone. There are a host of other methodologies (Pomodoro, FranklinCovey, Action Method, etc.) out there as well that work better for some people.

So I'm wondering this: if you use a productivity methodology other than GTD, which one do you use, and how do you incorporate Evernote into making it work for you?

• Level 5

Until Evernote releases the Due Date column, I have a simple no-name system that keeps me alerted to future stuff.

1.) For me, everything revolves around the created date field which I modify to the Due Date..

I also structure my titles to begin with the due date as a double check safeguard..

2.) I have a note with a large obnoxious picture (more noticeable) which is scheduled for the evening of today. It effectively separates past activities from future activities. Every morning, I change it to the current evening. I have a link on the favorite bar that takes me to this note with one click.

So by hitting the favorite bar link, I am positioned between yesterday and tomorrow.

Anything above this note is stuff that will happen in the future.

• Level 5*

I am similar to jb.

I name everything with YYMMDD + keywords. I use "index notes" with note links in them to achieve "manual sorting." And, I rely pretty heavily on advanced searches (saved, of course). I don't use notebooks or tags.

http://www.princeton.edu/~cmayo/evernote-organization.html

Is it an alternative to GTD? I don't know about that. It certainly isn't fine-grained enough for some people's lives, but it works well for me :)

Archived