(Archived) I get the feeling EN is not adding obvious features to EN so they can create more apps

I keep seeing new products that seem like they were obvious candidates to be part of EN instead of seperate products. In fact, some of them seem to be addressing gaping holes in EN that a lot of users have asked about for years. The Hello application is a perfect example of that, what more logical place to add the ability to keep track of people than EN?

I understand you need to make money and with Instagram being sold for 1 billions I'd probably be coming out with little apps like these too. Nevertheless, I hope it's not at the expense of improvements to EN. As an EN user it's a bit frustrating to see these new apps and not be able to use them as part of EN. I'd even happily pay more for EN add-on applications, as long as they are PART of EN and not some seperate app.

Thanks for listening.

• Level 5*

Hello and Food are both free so it can't be about revenue.

They both integrate with Evernote, so you can use them as part of Evernote.

What other apps are you talking about?

I'd like to note that, in order to support Hello and Food, we had to make significant changes *to* Evernote itself. If you check out our Developer section of these forums, you'll see just how much those little apps opened up our API for additional growth.

So, we're not sacrificing our core product by releasing additional applications like Skitch, Hello, Food, Clearly, Peek - we're enhancing it.

Hello and Food are both free so it can't be about revenue.

They both integrate with Evernote, so you can use them as part of Evernote.

What other apps are you talking about?

Thanks for the response. When you go to the product page there's not a single mention of integration, so I assumed there was none: http://www.evernote.com/hello/ Looks like I need to learn more about them and what "integrated" means.

Being free BTW does not mean it's not about revenue, lol. Instagram was free and just sold for 1 billion.

I'd like to note that, in order to support Hello and Food, we had to make significant changes *to* Evernote itself. If you check out our Developer section of these forums, you'll see just how much those little apps opened up our API for additional growth.

So, we're not sacrificing our core product by releasing additional applications like Skitch, Hello, Food, Clearly, Peek - we're enhancing it.

Good to know. I'd like to suggest this should be made more clear on those product pages. As a EN user it's disappointing to go to them and see not a single mention that they have any integration with EN.

• Level 5*

This is great! Can you give us a few examples of how the main EN clients (Win, Mac, iOS) have improved as a result?

• Level 5*

Good to know. I'd like to suggest this should be made more clear on those product pages. As a EN user it's disappointing to go to them and see not a single mention that they have any integration with EN.

I think perhaps you need to think about Evernote a little differently. Evernote is really a service that allows you to create, edit and save data into the cloud. There are a bunch of different ways (clients) that allow you to do this. It's not so much about integration and more Evernote providing the user with a variety of different tools to take advantage of the service.

I think perhaps you need to think about Evernote a little differently. Evernote is really a service that allows you to create, edit and save data into the cloud. There are a bunch of different ways (clients) that allow you to do this. It's not so much about integration and more Evernote providing the user with a variety of different tools to take advantage of the service.

Well, that's fine, but that's not how I want to think about it :). I dislike (might be a kind word for it) having tons of different "silos" of information, I want as much as possible of it in one place, organized in a way that works for me, which means the original Evernote. Not in 5 different services from EN the company.

Perhaps ZZZ is merely proposing a thought experiment, and hasn't actually *installed* and *used* any of our other applications? For if he had, he'd understand that point, Metrodon :)

• Level 5

Note to Evernote marketing:

I have avoided installing Hello because I am also under the impression that the information is in different silos and the Hello info cannot be shared by Evernote.

If this is wrong, perhaps Evernote should do more to promote the data cross-program sharing capability.

• Level 5*

Another problem with having separate EN apps (like Hello and Food) is that they run ONLY on iOS.

I do most of my note creation/clipping using the main EN desktop/laptop apps (EN Mac, EN Win).

So if a new feature is added only to a separate iOS app, that does not help me very much.

Having said that, I was pleased to see Phil Libin state in the recent EN Chat that features that he considers "core" would be implemented in the main EN Clients. The example he gave was the long-awaited Due Date/To-Do feature(s).

Archived