sorting by number

I number documents to keep them in order, but when sorting by Title, Evernote compares and orders by column, instead of the full number. For instance, 101 will be placed before 11 because the "10" in 101 is less than 11. Can you please teach Evernote how to count?

Thanks

• Level 5*

Sort by Title is always a character sort, so numbers will not sort correctly unless you left pad your numbers with zeros.

For example: 001, 002, 003, ... 010, 011, 012, ... 020, 021, 020, ... 100, 101, 102, etc

Thanks. Anticipating the number of documents amassed in some projects can be tricky and I'd rather not have to create unnecessary placeholders in anticipation (for example, 00001) (that's a lot of keyboarding just to be safe).

Perhaps Evernote can create a sort function called Number which will make it easy for those of us who try to keep things organized numerically.

I appreciate the guidance

• Level 5*

Yes, you can do such things -- I know that Windows, for example, has OS support for so-called "logical" sorts (as opposed to "lexicographical") -- and it's not even that hard (but you need to also handle embedded number strings, not just the ones that appear at the start of the text you are sorting), but remember that you can't have a single sort in Evernote; you'd probably want to apply it to the Title, Notebook and Tags field, at least. So they'd need to maybe make it a toggle like the 'Reverse Sort Order' toggle.

For now, though, not supported, so there's no further guidance to give.

Anticipating the number of documents amassed in some projects can be tricky and I'd rather not have to create unnecessary placeholders in anticipation (for example, 00001) (that's a lot of keyboarding just to be safe).

If you think you will have less than 100 notebooks, use numbers 001 through 999 followed by the title.

You can have 250 notebooks. And if you used numbers incremented by 1, that would be 001-250. Using 001 - 999 would be 999 notebooks.

A better alternative, if you were to use this method, would be to use say, 00100, 00200, 00300, 00400, etc. as the prefix. That way, you can add notebooks in between 00100 & 00200 by using 00120 or 00150 without having to renumber all the subsequent notebooks.

I use this method often, for one particular hobbyist project I have., where I want to force the files to sort in the order I want them.

• Level 5*

Some workarounds:

1. Assuming that you create notes as the project progresses, and the notes would be numbered in that order, then you can sort by date created.

2. Create a master note and put note links into it as you create the notes. You can put the notes in any order you like using this method.

• 5 months later...

Can I request that this be fixed? I use chapter by chapter notes, as well and need to sort numerically. Padding everything is very time consuming and not very visually pleasing, especially if you are using a numerical system like 1.1, 1.2 for chapter sections. (1.1, 1.2 versus 01.01, 01.02 with padding). Thanks in advance if this is ever fixed. :)

• 1 month later...

I also would like this to be fixed. On some days I create the note in advance before I actually take notes in class, thus I title my notes with the date "9-12-12: Notes from class" won't be ordered correctly. I can imagine that this could be a simple fix/added sort option. I love evernote and hope to continue using it!

+1 for this feature, i would actually prefer to be able to arrange myself, perhaps through a drag and drop interface, im keeping my fingers crossed for some major development in the future to improve these basic issues and increase productivity.

• 6 months later...

I too would like to see a numeric or manual sort. I am digitising statements and I can find no way to get them to appear in date order for future reference. Very annoying to lack such basic functionality.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I, too, need to have pages sorted by page number. Evernote has this meta data already, as it displays the page number in the lists.  It cannot be difficult to add this facility.

I have one page that Evernote has overlaid on top of another, and I have no idea why.  Has anyone any suggestions for fixing this?

Many thanks.

• Level 5*

I have one page that Evernote has overlaid on top of another, and I have no idea why.  Has anyone any suggestions for fixing this?

Could you describe this better? What do you mean by a page being "overlaid on top of another"? Which Evernote client are you using? Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, or web?

• Level 5*

If you use the date system as suggested by Grumpy Monkey, best & infallible is the international date format: yyyymmdd. And put that at the start of your titles.

that way your notes will always be in ordered correctly.

Not sure what this has to do with the topic -- GM's suggestion here is to use sort-by-created-date, which is separate from the title content. The desire here is to be able to sort-by-title titles that begin with things like "Page 11", "Page 12"... "Page 101" so that page 101 is sorted after page 1.1 Or did I miss something?

You are right, I was too quick off the mark & did not read GM's comment well. I deleted my non-value-adding post.

If you use the date system as suggested by Grumpy Monkey, best & infallible is the international date format: yyyymmdd. And put that at the start of your titles.

that way your notes will always be in ordered correctly.

Not sure what this has to do with the topic -- GM's suggestion here is to use sort-by-created-date, which is separate from the title content. The desire here is to be able to sort-by-title titles that begin with things like "Page 11", "Page 12"... "Page 101" so that page 101 is sorted after page 1.1 Or did I miss something?

Archived