(Archived) Easy Way To Save A Web Opened pdf

Hi All,

This has happened a few times so thought I would ask if there is an easy way to solve it.

I have just opened a pdf online and want to paste it into a note for reference when I go to a meeting next week.

At the moment I would save it as a pdf then drag it into the note then delete it from it's saved location.

Is there a simpler way of getting the pdf straight into a note without the extra save and delete procedure?

Thanks for your help.

Best regards

Chris

• Level 5*

Not sure this is shorter, but you could right-click (windows) on the link to the PDF and ~save file as... to your download folder, which would then be slurped into Evernote. Only drawback with this is some online PDF files have massively unhelpful filenames so you'll still have to do some renaming and tagging to tidy up. Or you could attach the PDF file to an email to your Evernote address, which also then allows you to set tags and headings on the fly.

If the program and OS allows, you should be able to right click the link and choose "save linked file to ..." (or similar, depending on language and OS; my OS is Win 7 prof. German) and selecting the EN import folder. No need to open the file or save temporarily on, say, the desktop. Greetings from snowy Munich to UK, obviously having the first real winter for some years now :)

Hi Bushwacker,

Many thanks for your input.

Am I not right in saying all I will then have is a link to the document and not the document itself?

The problem with that is I need access to the pdf which will end up being used on my iPad - but inputted on my Windows laptop - when at the meeting where I may not have a signal to download the document anyway.

Best regards

Chris

No, I do not think so: If you use the function "save linked file to ..." (or whatever it says in the English version) not the link is saved to Evernote but the linked content into the Evernote import folder whích subsequently will be transferred into EN. Well, you should have EN opened before leaving your desk so the program has a chance to import the file. But then it is in EN.

Whether you can access it from an Ipad I cannot say - I only have a HP touchpad which exclusively works online (save for the almost unuseable Pre EN Client). But if your Ipad once had the chance to download the saved file you should have it offline, as well.

Best regards.

Whether you can access it from an Ipad I cannot say - I only have a HP touchpad which exclusively works online (save for the almost unuseable Pre EN Client). But if your Ipad once had the chance to download the saved file you should have it offline, as well.

Android (Gingerbread & Icecream Sandwich) runs fine on the Touchpad via Cyanogen Mod. And, the Evernote Android client, runs fine after the upgrade.

Tested on my son's Touchpad.

Must get these names correct, rather than calling someone by their Evernote handle!

Thanks evb, I think I have worked out what you have said. Not sure if I am getting it working, but will have a play around.

Best regards

Chris

Another option. Cannot remember where on the forum that I saw this (or if it even was here)

In the windows client, click the attachments icon (paperclip, in the editor) and paste the link to the pdf into the open dialog.

Just tested with your link above, and it was added ;)

Not sure about other clients (didn't work when I tried web client on linux earlier.)

Worked in Windows via web client, it saved the file in Content.IE5 folder, then re-uploaded it.

Hi Scott,

You have certainly got me messing around and finding new things, but forgive my lack of knowledge as I am struggling to understand what you mean.

Having messed around with it for a bit I think the key bit I am missing is what you mean by the 'attachments icon'. Are you opening the page up or just hovering your mouse over the link above?

Best regards

Chris

-Right click the link to the pdf -> Copy Link

-Open Evernote -> New Note

-Ensure "Editing Toolbar" is showing (View -> Show Editing toolbar)

-On the Editing toolbar (the one with bold/italics etc) there is a paperclip (far right), which is used to attach files.

-In the resulting window, paste the link to open.

http://www.evernote.com/shard/s26/sh/586ff66c-66b3-40e0-8a96-ca0150fed6f8/e25f8fb0ba7d822740a106a6e4bf7b00

Glad you like it :)

In general it is a little quicker, and is nice if you are just looking to get it into EN as quickly as possible.

I have a feeling though that an import folder (as described above) would be more efficient in the long term, since at the very least, you can chose to rename the file when saving it to the folder.

• 10 months later...

I like this solution now, but I do have to open the new note in a new Window. A few more steps than I like but definitely better than saving the pdf, etc. It would be nice to see this functionality included into Clearly. Another easy solution would be to be able to Print to Evernote like you can in Onenote.

Archived